1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preventing the cat next door from ................ !!

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Shez, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Shez

Shez Sheridan

Hi Gents,

Ok so this maybe a little off topic but how do I stop next doors cat sitting on the roof of my car? It is a cabriolet and I know why she is sitting on it, it is black so it is warm in the sun and probably feels not to different from a rug or carpet. She has only just started doing it so want to strike while she is not used to such practises.
    I'm not really worried about her being on there it is when she awakes from her sleep and decides to stretch out with her claws and how she gets up there walking over my bonnet or boot.
    So short of shooting the bloody thing (not that I have anything against cats or animals) is there anything I can use on the roof to prevent her from doing this or is it something I'm going to have to live with. :-(

Cheers for any help received,

Shez
  2. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Cats dislike oranges and lemons so a strong air freshener in the cabin might do the trick,or just get a water pistol to persuade it ,that way your not harming the cat.
  3. Sock

Sock Shark in a Goldfishes clothing

I'm no fan of cats as had the same problem with a neighbour. I started by asking them politely to which they said "I can only do something if I see it on there" so I said fine, every time it's on there I will take a picture of YOUR cat and send you a bill for any damage!

Obviously didn't get any joy that way so just made an effort to scare that cat as much as possible when ever it came near my house and eventually it stayed away
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2011
  4. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

I had the local friendly cat sitting on top of my mk2 Golf the other day, so I thought I'd just give it a hush hush, and it would get the idea. Instead, he(I presume it's a he) just looked at me and decided to do his morning stretch with nails/claws fully extended followed by the sound of them screeching along the roof as he retracted them. :ohmy:

There's a few marks on it, but I doubt I'm going to lose any sleep over it, life goes on....
  5. arnoldlog

arnoldlog Member

Do you remember a couple of months ago when that woman was in the news for chucking that cat in a wheelie bin? seems a simple solution.
    as seen on TV :kissmyrings:
  6. Sock

Lol that made me laugh,

'it only takes a minute to catch it and bin it'
  7. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

I've already cleaned this thread up once and given a member a holiday for his comments.

Anyone else posting anything that promotes or encourages cruelty to animals will be dealt with in a similar manner.

Skooshing a cat with a water pistol or shooing it to try and move it along is fine, trying to injure or kill it is not. Simples.
    salad.dodger likes this.
  8. Cabbyfan

Cabbyfan Member

One of my cats used to jump onto the bonnet of my car as I drove onto the drive as its way of saying hello ..... she also used to go to sleep on the rear parcel shelf in the summer if I left the windows down, wet myself laughing the first time when I looked in the rear view mirror and she was on all fours "surfing" trying to stay upright !
  9. Cabbyfan

Cabbyfan Member

Oh and yes, lemon, they dont like the smell, good for keeping them off kitchen worktops to...... tiger poo also works as they see it as a threat, sprinkle some on the cab roof and you will be fine :idea:
    Shez likes this.
  10. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator Regional Rep

totally agree with this animal cruelty is not tolerated ive got a cat that walks all over my car all the time with muddy paws ll i do is get a bit of water in a bottle they dont like water so that usually works , i would never dream of hurting it for climbing on my car thats just wrong
  11. StateOfPlay

StateOfPlay Active Member

12. Sock

For the record I was only having a laugh and certainly do not promote killing anything
  13. salad.dodger

salad.dodger Member

buy some catnip spray and the sprinkle stuff and put that on a cheap black rug next to your car ;)

put plenty of cat repellent on another cheap black rug and put that on your roof

you may have a few more cats around but not on your roof

i have 3 cats and this works but does attrach other cats although it just makes them dopey and loving
  14. A3 T

A3 T Lord Of The Rings

15. The Doctor

The Doctor Active Member

This thread is hilarious! Are you guys seriosuly thinking that people are advocating shooting cats that sit on their car roof? Seems like just a bit of good-humoured banter to me. But anyway, maybe I'm wrong and so I won't suggest what I was going to for fear of being struck off the A-S.net forum...

I actually have the same problem with our own 2 cats since I've been parking under our car port, especially when it's raining outside. Haven't found a reliable solution yet but a good coat of wax does mean that they slip off pretty easily! Was also thinking of buying a bloody big dog.

Seriously, no word of a lie, I have driven up the road with the cat on the roof before without realising it (I didn't notice it when I got in the car). It slid down the rear window when I pulled away onto the main road with a heavy right foot. (I AM NOT ADVOCATING ANIMAL CRUELTY).
  16. Sock

LOL I have an image of a cat clawed into your roof with its cheeks and tiny tongue flapping about in the breeze lol
  17. The Doctor

The Doctor Active Member

Yeah I know, when I think of what it must have looked like to the neighbours I just start giggling to myself. Simple things...
  18. Sock

Bet they thought you had gone into advertising a taxi service for animals like 'pets to vets' lol
  19. alexanders

alexanders New Member

Genuis move, you must understand "Tongue-in-cheek" SEE Tongue-in-cheek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia now run along to your meeting in the shire.
  20. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I have a dog. Thus no problems ;)
  21. rowdyboy

rowdyboy Member

How come my similar comment has been removed? It was neither offensive or promoted cruelty. Has freedom to express an opinion or point of view been stopped????
  22. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

Not sure why your comment was removed mate, looks like it was chopped along with other comments which were inflammatory, and the associated discussion that followed. I agree, it wasnt offensive, i suspect it was simply pruned in an attempt to keep the thread on topic.
  23. voorhees

I removed it along with off topic posts as the thread was going off topic,you need your username changing rowdyboy to maybe sensitiveboy
  24. Sock

I love to have a laugh but I also know my sense of humour is not always shared by others, so if I have or do say anything that is felt to be offensive or over the top then I am happy for it to be removed as long as its understood that my intentions are just to have fun.

I long for the day I will actually have some valuable input to give but my lack of knowledge about anything worth while related to anything of importants leaves me with little to offer those that are in need apart from my depest sympathy and ........:lazy:zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  25. rowdyboy

rowdyboy Member

I'm far from sensitive matey, I just don't like being edited by someone who obviously can't see this thread for what it is, a bit of humour.
    Maybe you need a bit of help seeing that.
    I cant actually see why it was "off topic"
  26. voorhees

lol thanks for the advice
  27. Peachy

Peachy Bazinga!

Ditto, nice wee animals, although if mine could climb on the roof he probably would, nosy little bugger.

Why not dilute some lemon juice with warm water water and sponge it onto the cabby roof, that way (especially in the sun) there will be an aroma of the lemon juice and the cat will no doubt steer clear of the car and the roof. I'm not a huge fan of the smell personally but I could live with a faint hint of it in the car if it kept a car off the roof.