1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Preventing black smoke

Djwoody Dec 5, 2012

1. Djwoody

Djwoody Member

I know this sounds like a stupid question but is there any way of minimising the black smoke that my 2.0TDI kicks out?

I had the DPF Delete done a few months back and since then it produces more smoke (obviously).
    Since then I have been using Premium Diesel and sometimes topping up with Millers.

I just want my exhaust to be clean!! :)

2. sliced

sliced Drive safe, stay alive.

Is called a soot chucker for a reason! You could try not accelerating heavily??

3. Djwoody

Djwoody Member

Haha, I've tried that and yes it does cure it but its no fun.
    Guess I'll have to live with it until I save up for an S3.

4. A3Kent

A3Kent Well-Known Member Team Daytona Audi A3 S-line owners group TDi

You have your DPF removed and then you moan about black smoke being chucked out? You can't have it all mate! :cool:

5. Rhyso

Rhyso Well-Known Member

How heavy is the smoke?? Mine barely smokes at all with a DPF delete. It could be down to the mapping.........or you could have a small boost leak. Despite its faults the DPF is very good at catching all the soot. Even I was surprised at the difference once it was removed

but...no smoke, no poke!!! :)

6. Djwoody

Djwoody Member

I may look at boost leaks, as I sometimes get an engine management light on. Think i'll get it on VCDS to check.

7. shady-ninja

shady-ninja Active Member

a good custom remap, strong or mild, paying attention to overfuelling which is most likely the culprit.