Pressure testing boost system?

Speedy Steve

Reaction score
Ive got a boost leak that i cant find am i right in thinking if i disconnect both ends of the TIP and block along with the pipe off the turbo to coolers and the hose to the rocker cover it will then be safe to preasure test the system without causing any problems. Are there any other hoses i should disconnect and block before testing?

what car do you have?? if its an s3 then you need to disconect the boost hose from the charge pipe fit in a tool to the end of the boost hose and slowly fill with pressure only uptp arond 15psi sholud do thats it end listen for leaks, but before worrying about makeing a tool up have a look at the breather pipe under the inlet manifold which goes into a 90' elbow from the top of the oil filter housing area as that pipe is prone to splitting, i have had this pipe go and so to has my freind with a leon cupra with the 180bhp engine so its same on a3 and s3 engines

Yes its an S3 i already have all the tools to block and fill up the system but i will give that hose a good look tomorrow before i start.

Out of interest what tools do you need to do a boost test, I guess an air comperssor with a pressure gauge will do for adding the air pressure, but what else is needed??

Ive machined some alloy block to the sizes and one hase a valve in yes

Ive machined some alloy block to the sizes and one hase a valve in yes

Any chance I could borrow them after you use them?? I would pay for the postage both ways? I also need to check for boost leaks..I would be very gratefull. :beerchug:

you only really need to put the valve tool into the boost pipe after the charge pipe, no need to block off other pipes i had mine pressure tested at amd and thats how they done it then i made a similar tool when i got back and tested for leaks once i fix the hose as said above all good now

Well i did my preasure test at the weekend and it turned out to be the plastic Y piece on the breather side just under the inlet manifold. Also the twisty hose that joins on the cam cover had split so been to audi and ordered new ones. Hopefully this will solve all my problems.

I found that you only need to block the pipe off the turbo to the intercoolers i used a spray paint can as the pieces i made were not wide enough to clamp propperly. i also disconnected the bresther pipe to the cam cover and blocked it off then i disconnected the pipe to the recirculating valve and fitted a compressor joint on it then i filled it slowly to about 20 psi and could hear and feel the leaks. :rock:

Last edited:
S3 kev,how much was it to get a boost leak checked at AMD mate?..i dotn have a S3 just the A3 turbo.thanks

whats your part number is vagcom engine module 01, I want to check the label file to see if the older 8L had a charge air system option for testing as on the 8P you can go into a basic setting & get the charge air system while idle to turn on/off so try to find leaks this way, all automatic as well while stationary, only let down is engine noise might dull the leak noise, but another option.

S3 kev,how much was it to get a boost leak checked at AMD mate?..i dotn have a S3 just the A3 turbo.thanks
was part of my remap, so unsre on cost alone, check the same pipes as above comon problem on the a3 to