1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pressure related coolant leak?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by Mollygoogle, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Mollygoogle

Mollygoogle Member

[Sep 14, 2013]
    On my 1.9 130 I have a small coolant leak, which only needs topping up every 1000 miles or so. When I went to top it up a few days ago I noticed that with the filler cap off when topping up coolant started to run out of the bottom of the bottle quite quickly. As soon as the filler cap was replaced the leak almost stopped. I assume that without having an available air inlet the pressure of the system prevents the coolant from leaking as quickly as it does with the cap off?

It appears to be leaking from what feels like the mounting point for a clip on the bottom of the header. Is there something there that is prone to leaking? Is it repairable or do I just get a new tank?

How much coolant does the system take?
  2. Ads

Ads

[Nov 23, 2014]

3. Mike B

Mike B Member

[Sep 14, 2013]
    Check the tank for cracks.Yes the coolant will leak quicker when the cap is off
  4. hartey

hartey Member

[Sep 14, 2013]
    You sure you haven't spilled any around the filler cap?
    there is a hole to let spill ages drop down, found out to my own cost lol
  5. Mollygoogle

Mollygoogle Member

[Sep 14, 2013]
    I haven't spilled any over the header. There is a chance that I spilled some over the threads if the tank has some form of internal channel that would drain it to the bottom?
  6. Mike B

Mike B Member

[Sep 15, 2013]
    Ther is a channel at the top of the threads that will catch any coolant if its not poured straight this then drains down the side of the tank.Use a funnel to avoid this
    Mollygoogle likes this.
  7. Mollygoogle

Mollygoogle Member

[Sep 16, 2013]
    Great news, thank you. Makes perfect sense, but never had a car with a tank like that before.