Prepping for the first MOT

SamDude

Reaction score
All,

Car goes for its first MOT tomorrow - is there anything I can/should do (apart from pray) to help it along?

How long should I give it a 'warm up' blast for and at what speed?
(50/70mph for 20 minutes?)

Anything else?

Thankos

Check the 'obvious' stuff: make sure all bulbs are working, including the number plate light, check the plates aren't cracked or in any other way illegal, check for any big cracks/stone chips on the windscreen, check for wear/cuts on the tyres, check the seat belts all work correctly. As for warming it up, a 20 minute blast along some A-roads should do the trick. When I took my Land Rover in, thats all I did, and we couldn't even see any smoke coming out of the exhaust! Lots of hard accelerations is what you need, not a constant high speed drive, unless you do it in 2nd/3rd gear ;)

Thanks - I changed the rear tail light bulb today. Just for reference - the Halfords code for the tail light bulb is wrong. Had to go back to change it for the right one.

Changing any rear bulb on the A3 = Arrrrghhh. Had to take out the entire light cluster, rather than popping out the bulb from behind like other cars...

Also changed one wiper (see my wiper thread).

A good blast should see it pass first time.

Failed!

Rear nearside tyre below the limit (apparently).

I've ordered a couple of Dunlop 9090's and getting them fitted and then back to the MOT place for a retest...