1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prepping for the first MOT

SamDude May 22, 2007

1. SamDude

SamDude Active Member

All,

Car goes for its first MOT tomorrow - is there anything I can/should do (apart from pray) to help it along?

How long should I give it a 'warm up' blast for and at what speed?
    (50/70mph for 20 minutes?)

Anything else?

Thankos

2. alanjonesbath

alanjonesbath VAGOwners.co.uk

Check the 'obvious' stuff: make sure all bulbs are working, including the number plate light, check the plates aren't cracked or in any other way illegal, check for any big cracks/stone chips on the windscreen, check for wear/cuts on the tyres, check the seat belts all work correctly. As for warming it up, a 20 minute blast along some A-roads should do the trick. When I took my Land Rover in, thats all I did, and we couldn't even see any smoke coming out of the exhaust! Lots of hard accelerations is what you need, not a constant high speed drive, unless you do it in 2nd/3rd gear ;)

3. SamDude

SamDude Active Member

Thanks - I changed the rear tail light bulb today. Just for reference - the Halfords code for the tail light bulb is wrong. Had to go back to change it for the right one.

Changing any rear bulb on the A3 = Arrrrghhh. Had to take out the entire light cluster, rather than popping out the bulb from behind like other cars...

Also changed one wiper (see my wiper thread).

A good blast should see it pass first time.

4. SamDude

SamDude Active Member

Failed!

Rear nearside tyre below the limit (apparently).

I've ordered a couple of Dunlop 9090's and getting them fitted and then back to the MOT place for a retest...