1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre Painted Rplacement Wings - anyone got any experience?

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by haytch75, Jan 14, 2012.

1. haytch75

haytch75 Member

[Jan 14, 2012]
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 29, 2014]

3. quattrojames

quattrojames Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Jan 14, 2012]
    Not yet....... I need to source a new N/S one in the spring.

Thats a good price, I think I'd be worried about paint quality etc too. If you take the plunge please report back.

Anyone know how much an oem wing is?
  4. sinic

sinic Audi WAudi

[Jan 14, 2012]
    I wouldn't buy one for a metallic car through the post, there's to much variation in colour from different spray shops.
    Air pressure, temperature and the light the painter is using can all make a difference to the tone outcome of the panel even with the same paint code as the standard car. There's also the new Water based paints which are the industry standard, 9 times out of 10, when using a water based colour on a plastic panel like a bumper it will look different in certain lights.

If you need a panel done to sell the car then go ahead but be prepared for a different shade showing in certain lights. You'd probably find that in bright sunlight it will look he same but when the clouds come out or on an overcast day it will look quite different.

If they aren't too far away then take the car to them so they can over lap the existing panels to the new paint.
  5. marktdisport

marktdisport Active Member

[Jan 14, 2012]
    id be worried about colour match but try it for the team m8 go on you know you want to
  6. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Jan 14, 2012]
    Don't do it the colour will most probably be out every car has a minimum of 3 different shades and if a new wing is fitted most paint shops will blend the door as well mate a new oem wing I any where from 64 to 110 pounds 64 is none galvanised I think
  7. haytch75

haytch75 Member

[Jan 15, 2012]
    Hmmm.....It does seem very cheap which is why I asked the question. I've seen a few that were noticably different shades. Might just wait until I really need to get it done and then spend a few hundred quid at a bodyshop. Just washed the car this morning and noticed a slight bubble on the bottom of the tailgate too :sob: I think i'll probably need to get that repaired as I imagine a replacement will cost a lot. Never had to deal with rust before, is it best to get sorted ASAP? Mine is light metallic silver (LY7W) so any shade differences will probably show up more.
  8. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Jan 15, 2012]
    can you put a photo up of the parts you are talking about ? i cant see you needing any new panles to be fair mate
  9. sinic

sinic Audi WAudi

[Jan 15, 2012]
    I don't remember ever seeing an Audi with rust or corrosion. I'm on my 2nd A4 plus parents had both generation 80's 20 years ago which were also rust free. It's strange you have these issues.
  10. haytch75

haytch75 Member

[Jan 16, 2012]
    The wing rust is quite common. Will put a pic of the tailgate up when I get chance. Wondering if there are some drain holes blocked or the rear washer has been leaking into the tailgate panel.
  11. haytch75

haytch75 Member

[Jan 18, 2012]
    will get a pic up ASAP gents. My laptop has died so uploading pics is not going to happen for a few days.
  12. haytch75

haytch75 Member

[Jan 21, 2012]
    [​IMG]Here you go chaps. The quid is to give some scale. It's a few bubbles at the bottom of the tailgate moment. Like I said, never dealt with rust before but would you advise getting this sorted ASAP before it gets any worse? Still paying for Christmas so not too flush at the minute!
  13. sinic

sinic Audi WAudi

[Jan 21, 2012]
    It wont make a huge difference if you did it now or in the summer.....I'd also look out for a replacement tailgate in the same colour, you never know what you can find on the web.
  14. haytch75

haytch75 Member

[Jan 21, 2012]
    I've already seen a tailgate from an identical car/colour but wouldn't it be hugely expensive in it's complete state and changing the lock barrels over, or hugely expensive to buy it bare and swap all my fittings onto it?
  15. sinic

sinic Audi WAudi

[Jan 21, 2012]
    Not really,
    Some breakers will want top money but panels like that are generally good value.

Go see it an check its a good colour match then ask if they'll do you a part exchange
  16. simon.m

simon.m Active Member

[Jan 21, 2012]
    that is nothing to worry about any good body shop will sort that easy and just re paint it
  17. haytch75

haytch75 Member

[Jan 21, 2012]
    Thanks chaps. I'm waiting for a price on the tailgate from the breakers but I'll also get a price from a body shop. As I need the front wing replacing/painting it probably makes sense to have them look at repairing/painting the tailgate too. Cheers
  18. sinic

sinic Audi WAudi

[Jan 21, 2012]
    Worth getting a quote from chips away?
  19. xs2man

xs2man Member

[Jan 21, 2012]
    Worth speaking to Audi??? Do they not have a 12 year anti corrosion warranty. The paint doesn't look broken, so it could be a shout?
  20. Greeny233

Greeny233 Active Member

[Jan 23, 2012]
    looked at these pre painted wings myself as both front wings on my 2004 Quattro Avant are pretty rotten, which is shocking really on a 7 year old car especially when my 11 year old, 215,000 mile B5 had no rust what so ever. I don't think it's worth the risk, pattern part wings may not fit correctly and may need some adjustment and when they have been painted that makes it difficult not to damage the paint and the paint might not be a perfect match.
    I'm going to Audi for a pair of genuine wings and paint.
  21. sinic

sinic Audi WAudi

[Jan 23, 2012]
    Can't belive the amout of rot being reported here, it's just crazy......Same with my B5, never a blemish, I'm alway dubious about rot on a premium brand car, always makes me suspicious of them being repsrayed in the past, do you all know the history of your cars?

I paid a premium price for my B6 as I wanted a low mileage minter but if I ever find it on my car I would definitly cry like a baby.

Have you tried to claim on the corrosion warranty with Audi?

My front slam panel under the bonnet is slightly rusty around the bonnet lock so was thinking of taking the car in to Audi under the corrosion warranty to see what they have to say about it.
  22. marktdisport

marktdisport Active Member

[Jan 24, 2012]
    i tryed the 12 year corrosion way for my corroded roof rails and the geeza at audi laughed at me, not full audi service history was the answer !!! peeeee'd me off tbh.. since when does service history have anythink to do with a metal that has a 12yr garantee from new :think:
  23. sinic

sinic Audi WAudi

[Jan 25, 2012]
    I had the same on the wifes mondeo last year...still reeling:sign_unfair: