pre facelift xenon headlights

jonathan english

Reaction score
hi guys sorry for all my useless posting! Just wondering one of my indicator lenses have cracked and water gets in there and now th bulbs gone been looking at upgrading to something like in the link below am I right in thinking that ibwill need to cut the wing and change the wiring as in the sticky thread? Is this easy? What wiring and connectors are needed as none of the linke in the sticky work? Thanks for you help guys! Jon 3

As you have an S3 those headlights will be halogens and not xenons... you won't be able to use those as a direct replacement...

The wiring changes I believe is more for when you do a facelift headlight conversion as they wiring plugs are different but not done it personally so can't comment from experience...

The headlights you have linked to are designed for a pre-facelift car so its plausible that for an A3 they would be a direct fit... not sure on an S3 although the wiring 'should' be the same...

One thing to note though is that all these aftermarket headlights are designed for halogen bulbs... UK law requires xenon/HID lights to have a different beam cut off so even if you buy these and retro fit an aftermarket HID kit they are technically illegal for UK use

<tuffty/>

dang why is everything so hard on the s3!!! What ones would i be able to get as i dont really know? Mine are all cloudy aswell so need to replace the whole lot really just seems a shame to keep them standard when they look so much better as one unit! Sorry for my naivety

Sadly there is not anything readily available for the S3... most pre-faceliftists either fit facelift headlights from the S3 (but they are normally just as bad tbh) or chance their arm and fit halogen units with an aftermarket HID kit... for them to be legal in the UK the car should have headlight washers, auto-levelling and the projectors to have the correct pattern cut... the S3 complies with this as std... as with all types of modding its your choice how you go about achieving this :)

I ended buying a cheap set of facelift lights and retrofitting bi-xenon projectors in... its a little extreme but they are brilliant and legal...

<tuffty/>

ok so on my s3 I have halogens yay! I think? You say there are non readily available? That suggests there is somewhere that has/sells them? Also if mine are halogens and I did fit an aftermarket kit why would I need a hid kit if it already has it? Or is this something different?

You sure you have halogens? fairly sure the only projector type headlamp unit available for the pre-facelift was a xenon... its only facelift cars that got halogen and xenon as projector headlights

By non readily available I mean non that I know of... I wasn't going to explicitly say there are non available as I don't know this for a fact... if you find some then please share...

All S3's came with xenons from the factory... the bulbs used are D2S... halogen headlights typically use H1 or H7 bulbs so the factory xenons won't fit... this is why I suggested you would need an aftemarket kit

<tuffty/>

oh sorry I thought u meant s3's had halogens and not xenons in your previous posts my bad i read it wrong!! So the fact that the headlights I put in the link are projector does that mean they may fit or definitely wont?

They will fit your car but you won't be able to use your xenons with them... you can use an aftermarket HID kit should you so choose but it will be technically illegal

<tuffty/>

i dont get why there is no one out there whose made anything! I cant even find a new indicator lens to replace mine!! My s3 is most irritating! Hey ho just have to have it looking pooer than it should! How hard it it to do the HID conversion and what would i need to get?

S3's already have 'decent' headlights so the market is small... not much point in mass producing lights for a market that doesn't really exist plus most people get away with just fitting HIDs to halogen units anyway

If you are considering replacing the headlights then get a set you like and buy a HID kit to suit what ever bulb is in the projector... wiring is something you will need to deal with I'm afraid as this could vary depending on the setup you end up buying

<tuffty/>

that sucks would have been a nice change to the front end! Do you by any chance no where I can find an indicator lens that will fit the s3? Mines smashed to bits from a stone! Also is there a product out there that can remove the cloudiness of the glass/plastic headlight lenses? Thanks guys sorry for all sorry for all the questions