1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre-facelift S3 brake pad wear sensors or not?

comdw Nov 5, 2011

1. comdw

comdw Member VCDS Map User

Just about to buy some Pagid pads from eurocarparts for my W-reg pre-facelift S3. They list two sets, one says "VIN To 8L-X-200000, excl wear warning contact", the other says "VIN From 8L-Y-000001, with integrated wear sensor".

I assume I should go for the former based on the reg, does it follow that pre-facelift cars like mine don't have the wear sensor? Also the ones with the wear sensor are cheaper for some reason, maybe a supply/demand thing I guess.

2. 16Klappe

16Klappe I <3 Panda's! Supporter

They ones with the wear sensor won't actually include the wear sensor, but they will be cheaper because there is a wear sensor shaped hole missing where you should have braking meat!

I am 99% sure your car does NOT have wear sensors.

3. comdw

lightning fast reply, thanks!

4. 16Klappe

I suggest you whip a wheel off and check to be sure, however I wasn't aware of pre facelift S3's having wear sensors.

The sensor pads look like this, I would say jack him up and get the wheel off with it on full lock and check for the wires.

[​IMG]

5. sportquattro

sportquattro Active Member

My 1999 APY S3 definately DOES have wear sensors, so I'd suggest checking before buying. I know it had them because when I fitted the DS2500's I had to short the contacts to prevent the dash light coming on as DS2500 pads dont have the option.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  6. jojo

jojo Looking for Boost! Staff Member Moderator Team Daytona Audi S3 quattro Audi A6 Audi Avant Owner Group

My S3 99 APY S3 has wear sensors, I have a little clip thing to bridge it, since I have Brembo's fitted!

7. comdw

Hmm, mine is APY. Pads apparently 90% warn and yet no warning on the DIS... but guess I better check afterall.

8. 16Klappe

90% wear is fine, I took these off today :)

[​IMG]

9. comdw

hehe well in that case I've got another couple of years left on mine.