Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

Right, I have a plan for a heat shield to protect the turbo outlet, as far as I can tell the bracket I've made will work on the A3 charge pipe arrangement I've got and on an S3 setup, just the shield itself will need making to suit

The evil area:(Note random unthreaded hole and cam cover stud with spare thread, the random hole is at the same level as the top of the cam cover nut)

72c07b6a.jpg

Can see it's been scorching the red silicon hose that's only been on there for 3 hours use.

This is the kind of shield I want to put in, following this line:

469904aa.jpg

Cut a bit of angle to match the profile on the back of the cam cover, drilled a hole to sit over the exposed thread of the cover stud:

8b6bbd81.jpg

Bit more trimming, and another hole, and this was the finished bracket:

8bd382ff.jpg

M6x1.0 tap ran nicely down said redundant hole to cut a thread into it:

28f612ab.jpg

Bolted into place:

943b0895.jpg

313a333c.jpg

Then a bit of CAD (my favourite!) to start knocking up a shape for a heat shield:

dc346f69.jpg

More to come when I get some alloy to make the shield :) Hopefully this will be up to the job.

The standard welds on your V1 look a lot thinner then the ones on my V2. As you know, I've now had the welds made extra strong so we'll see how it lasts like that!

That is a good idea in theory but in practice it might not last that long. The reason is that the two metals will not have the same make up/content and will expand and contract at different rates. Known as differential movement of material. Since the heat generated is so vast there is much more room for failure. I hope it works for all our sakes.:idea:

Blue Peter at it's best mate,(here's one I made earlier LOL) maybe you should also look at moving or covering those coil pack wires as they may already have gone hard.

you do know the burn that hose is seeing is hot jet gas from the cracks split as well yea?

inside of pipe on V2 mani, at collector weld area
IMAG1851.jpg

IMAG1850.jpg

Yea I realise that Bill, hence why the car is not being used any more until it's all sorted :(

New manifold ordered and paid for this morning, big thanks to Sam Bryant for sorting that one out quickly :)

Nick, met you ages ago at a JMK rolling road day last year. But only just come onto this forum. See you have made a lot of progress. Been looking into the boxter S brake set-up that I believe you have, what do you need to make them fit. Are you running custom disc's and carriers. I dont know if my set up is the same as your as I have a TT 225, and the hubs may be different.

Cheers

Hi Rich, good to see you on here :)

Hubs are the same as mine, as I've got TT/LCR/S3 hubs on it, brake mounting is the same on the A3 hubs as well though.

Boxster S calipers are the same as the 996 911 fronts that I'm running on my daily yes, I have carriers and discs from DaveB, with some HEL kevlar braided lines and ATE fast road pads.

I don't think DaveB does the kit any more, but take a look at Creation Motorsport on ebay, tehy do the carriers and discs now, and all you need is the part number from your calipers to match the right carriers :)

Cheers for that looks interesting. Id like the seat sports ap ones at they are a straight fit just hard to come across!

What was the clutch eating remap you warned me of as well? Can you suggest any good mappers?

Cheers

Sorry Westicles!

monday and waiting stops play on this one. My manifold has been shipped from the states, but according to tracking details it's still in the USA somewhere on it's way to Dave, then Dave will weld it and send it to me, then I need to find time to fit it! I'm away this weekend with Tori, so realistically I have no idea when I'll fit it! I've recently picked up another small 'project' that I need to turn around asap, as well as getting the Mini on the road in time for the Riviera run at the start of May!

Oh, and then I've got to buy and install WMI as well, so all a bit much at the moment and it's just sat there looking sad, like me.

Sorry Westicles!

monday and waiting stops play on this one. My manifold has been shipped from the states, but according to tracking details it's still in the USA somewhere on it's way to Dave, then Dave will weld it and send it to me, then I need to find time to fit it! I'm away this weekend with Tori, so realistically I have no idea when I'll fit it! I've recently picked up another small 'project' that I need to turn around asap, as well as getting the Mini on the road in time for the Riviera run at the start of May!

Oh, and then I've got to buy and install WMI as well, so all a bit much at the moment and it's just sat there looking sad, like me.

Oh dear mate :(

Enjoy your weekend away, I shall be spending mine in the garage with my engine in bits :)

Wow, page 8, not let the thread slip this far in about a year :p

Minor interim project does indeed have a turbo Karl, a ko3S to be precise, and a recaro interior, and will be for sale this weekend!

So, after many weeks of nothingness, and a nice easter break, my manifold finally made it's way to Dave for welding up.

Fair play to Dave, he turned it around that very same day and shipped it back to me, only for me to miss the shipment THREE TIMES and UPS ended up contacting Dave about it. I gave them a new address, and it's not sat at work waiting for me after I've not been on the site since Tuesday.

So, finally tomorrow I'll have a new manifold. Just need to get to TPS to pick up new gaskets and crush washers to get it fitted.

Also, in readiness for the new manifold going on, and as a general aid to reliability and temperature control, I've taken the plunge and spent far more money than I ever wanted to on an AEM progressive WMI kit with 5 gallon tank.

I could have got the 1 gallon kit like everyone else, but seeing as the car spends it's entire life at WOT I figured I'd be forever filling the tank up on a trackday, so 5 gallon it is!

I didn't really want to resort to WMI, but all the advice suggests it's a great safeguard, and it'll result in much lower IATs, and in from what people seem to have logged, significantly lower EGT's also.

Just need to finish this golf and get it sold to fund the new engine build on the S3 bottom end I picked up a few weeks back :)

I have never yet seen egt's drop from wmi... They can drop from increased timing advance (or less retarded ign to put it another way) but from pure wmi sprayed in.. nowt on egt's

Its a nice to have for track use fo sho.. without doubt.. bing bong bish bash bosh...

I would'nt bank on it helping the egt's however..
Get an egt sensor in there and watch it to be sure.. possibly. or combined egt/wideband.. like Zietronix I have.. :)

all money tho aint it

Thanks Bill, the long term plan is more timing to reduce EGT's, my map is linked strongly to IAT's and timing increases a lot as IAT's go down, and once the rods are in it'll go back for a considerable map alteration!

Will get the WMI installed with the new manifold in the next week or so, then ge this new lump built ASAP.

Bill: if I were to mark up one of my charge pipes would I be able to send it to you to have a WMI boss welded on?

Anyone suggest a good supply of meth? Do I just use tap water? or should it be de-ionised?

what IAT's are you running at the moment? and how much does WMI lower it?

Prawn - use de ironised water. That's what Nick -r tech was running s theres supposed to be meth in it already

Cheers Bill, after talking to Paul last night I know I know where it'll go. I'll move pipes around to double check it fits, then mark it up and send it to you on Monday if that's OK. I'll drop you a PM to arrange of course.

Marty: De-ionised water is just ultra pure, fairly sure there is no meth in it already! Have a never ending supply of De-I water at home too thanks to Dad and his obsession with dehumidifiers!

Got some pictures today of what can only be considered progress after a month of nothingness!

33bb5513.jpg

What could this be?

a498ada0.jpg

Looks a lot like an XS power manifold:

163b9553.jpg

Only, it isn't, it's the new and highly anticipated XSDave!

Thanks Dave :) The welds have been beefed up hugely on this one, so with any luck the stronger welds, WMI, and more timing should help to keep things together for a bit longer than the last one. If it DOES fail under track use, then I'll have to accept it's no use and run a stock cast manifold instead.

c7f86634.jpg

d718114b.jpg

Going to make a start on fitting this weekend if I get a chance.

Better then what I had written on my tie bars!

img0673o.jpg

Dave looks to have done a good job on that though, so hope it lasts better then your previous one :icon_thumright:

Oh noes, spam crew are in town! Best get this manifold on asap so I can outrun them and escape to safety!

Nope loads of gas, just oxidized on the surface as it was cooling down, as it was all glowing, all is good ...:icon_thumright: i could have polished it back up but whats the point, im not selling it to anyone....

What a fail of a day today has been! haha.

Took delivery of my new company car yesterday, Daily is now sold, and this is the replacement:

15719655.jpg

Went to my local TPS this morning for gaskets and bits, only to find they didn't have a downpipe gasket, argh.

Closest one, guildford. Damn, I was going to go there first, but Eastleigh was about 10 mins closer. So I ended driving home, then on another 35 miles to Guildford! ******.

After that we headed into town to buy Jardo a birthday card, Couldn't decide between these two, so got him both:

e74c3e36.jpg

799040fd.jpg

Went to B&Q and found this, a colour coded air freshener for the track car!

a27f79a1.jpg

Finally got started on the car at half 2:

45451f7e.jpg

2 horrific hours later, turbo was out:

6d0e78fe.jpg

Now I thought fitting the XS manifold and ko4 was tough, but removing it was 10x harder!

Evening did up so smoothly and easily when it was new, and tightening things was fairly simple, just arkward.

However, putting in the initial torque to crack off the tight nuts after they've been heat cycled hundreds of times was an absolute nightmare, getting the turbo 3 bolts off was SO hard, that took me an hour alone.

Started unbolting the manifold, and have just the two final evil ones left to go, one of which isn't too bad, one of which is simply life alteringly impossible. I'd almost consider giving up based on this one bolt, it took me about an hour to get it backed off 4 turns! hALF WAY THERE. argh. Gave up at half 5 when the hail came down so hard it made my legs sting whilst I was under the car!

I need a pint!

Got Jardo round now for Birthday celebrations, then I'll attack the car again in the morning.

Hope to get it running in time to head to the Pistonhead Pub Club meet on Tuesday night. I'd love to go to Ace, but it's a 110 mile drive from my new place of work, where as PH PC is on the way home. 65 mile commute is a killer! Hence the focus.

Have fun folks.

More tomorrow