Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

Its OK to post after I've made a comment.! ?

However its Rockingham this weekend and I've decided its a good idea to get into shape, so I've restricted myself to two bottles of red a night and the odd Jim Beam. God its hard. What we drivers have to put up with. The man in the street would have no idea.

You think that's bad?

I've had to limit myself to only 2 litres of cider per night on the lead up to Rockingham!

Got to make sure we beat that horrid little ******* AndyP, he's build like a racing snake!

You think that's bad?

I've had to limit myself to only 2 litres of cider per night on the lead up to Rockingham!

Got to make sure we beat that horrid little ******* AndyP, he's build like a racing snake!

Last time I was at your place with Andy P, I was talking with him and there was a time when I thought he had left the room. Apparently he had only stood sideways.!!!

You think that's bad?

OMG 2 lts p n that's a bit severe isn't it. You really are taking it seriously. Personally I think that's unnecessary .:eyebrows::laugh:

Dyno from Badger 5
DynoIT-prawn.jpg

prawn.jpg

Reactions: Pedrosousa
Is that a touch of boost creep at actuator pressure?

Interesting just how much power its making at even 14psi!

Something odd happens about 6750rpm on N75? Boost seems to drop out to actuator pressure.

Be much better if it held 18psi all the way though ;)

Is that a touch of boost creep at actuator pressure?

Interesting just how much power its making at even 14psi!

Something odd happens about 6750rpm on N75? Boost seems to drop out to actuator pressure.

Be much better if it held 18psi all the way though ;)

lol :p

it does drop onto actuator pressure

Its not creep on actuator as in wg too small, but what happens when the gates progressively being pushed open.. When on n75 control dudty cycle is full on to get the boost to start, then pulls back and drops duty to control.. so nothing pressure wise gets to actuator until ecu tells it.

30% odd duty cycles only.... its barely ticking over - by Decision.
200k mile engine, track use.. Customers request.

wow just flicked throgh all 33 pages alot of work has gone on here looking good i am building something similar at the moment but it is a daily not pure racer :)

After the events over the last 3 weekends its easy to see how some of the LCR boys are making 300+bhp on stock K04 turbos..... enough said lol

The N75 is capped at the top end to hold the power where Prawn wanted it, The customer wanted a limited 290bhp linear power curve which he could use safe on the track and not going to finish of a well abused 211k AGU engine.

Like Bill said the boost control is only at 30% in places, when I ran it to 55+% (by mistake lol) it pulled just under 330bhp 300lbft during one power run.

Just hurry up and get them rods fitted Nick.

Thumbs up to Bills and his dyno, its nice to see another tuner giving realistic numbers. Only 3hp in it which could be down to a number of factors imo, but when running 20+bhp up on another dyno i start to ask questions.....

Reactions: Pedrosousa
lol :p

it does drop onto actuator pressure

Its not creep on actuator as in wg too small, but what happens when the gates progressively being pushed open.. When on n75 control dudty cycle is full on to get the boost to start, then pulls back and drops duty to control.. so nothing pressure wise gets to actuator until ecu tells it.

30% odd duty cycles only.... its barely ticking over - by Decision.
200k mile engine, track use.. Customers request.

Perfectly summed up Bill :)

Thanks very much for a brilliant day!

Had a great time, and very glad to see it putting out the right numbers and Nikis map doing exactly as expected, very nice to know there's a decent correlation between dyno results on your rollers and Rtech too :)

Thanks for all your help along the way with parts and advice, and your work on the turbo and manifold. Without all your previous work on these it wouldn't be as good as it is today :)

I cannot wait to get this on track at Rockingham next weekend!

Seen this in the flesh while my car was having diagnostics done at R-tech a couple of weeks ago... Beast!!!

Good luck at Rockingham :L

Amazingly, including 4-5 power runs on Bills rollers, and a few little blasts, it looks like I'm set to get 300 miles from my current tank of fuel, which will make me very happy indeed!

Bruce, my friendly tyre fitter, recommended that due to the fairly cold weather outside / in my garage at the moment, it might be best to get the part work Yokos inside to warm up a bit before we fit them, just to make them a bit easier to get onto the rims.

e962d521.jpg

Tori was chuffed to bits when i filled the spare room with these, and even gave them their own electric radiator for the night!

Today has been a good day for small things!

New gas struts arrived this morning for the bootlid, most breakers wanted £10 each for used struts which could die at any time, but BigAl managed to find them brand new on ebay for £20 delivered.

Fitted the new struts tonight, and the boot has never opened so nicely, so that's good news :)

Also has a new toy arrive today, which hopefully means more drive time and less time in the paddock changing wheels when it starts/stops raining!

a2d6fb6f.jpg
I loved the comment from the seller of the gas struts. He said these are not chinese crap. They are made in Turkey. Well I never. Also the gun is a Sealy but at half the price . The B------s re-badge so much.

The gas struts also say Honda civic on them, and every time I touch the boot handle it tries to jump open into my face :p not used to having struts that work!

3 days to go until Rockingham! A048's are now mounted on the S3 rims so we're all ready for Saturday :)

The gas struts also say Honda civic on them, and every time I touch the boot handle it tries to jump open into my face :p not used to having struts that work!

3 days to go until Rockingham! A048's are now mounted on the S3 rims so we're all ready for Saturday :)

Hope I haven't got to learn to drive all over again with this new found power. Ill be carrying L plates so people will know whose driving.:racer::scared2:

It's easier to drive than before :) it's so smooth it's just amazing, the only thing that needs practise is balancing part throttle, as the turbo just wants to go all the time!

L-plates at the ready! Tried L-plates at Combe but they blew off! Better ones needed I think:

e0951510.jpg

It's easier to drive than before :) it's so smooth it's just amazing, the only thing that needs practise is balancing part throttle, as the turbo just wants to go all the time!

L-plates at the ready! Tried L-plates at Combe but they blew off! Better ones needed I think:

e0951510.jpg

Surely a Green P ( for newdriver ) and you can style it out saying it's P for Prawn - BIG

That was actually the back-up at Combe after the magnetic L-plates blew off!

d16543a2.jpg

They're only on the car when Dads driving though, just to distinguish between the two of us.

Not that Big Bad Al needs L-plates anyway, he's ****** quick for an old git!

That was actually the back-up at Combe after the magnetic L-plates blew off!

d16543a2.jpg

They're only on the car when Dads driving though, just to distinguish between the two of us.

Not that Big Bad Al needs L-plates anyway, he's ****** quick for an old git!

I would have liked it better without those four last words. quote "for an old git" and less of the OLD. We had some fun at Combe with those L plates. " I didnt know learners were allowed on track, hell never seen that before, that cant be right, he is obviously teaching his son to drive and left the plates on, look he is an old ****** maybe its his first time." You can just imagine the comments. A great laugh and a great day.

I'm only joking :) considering you don't get to drive the car all the time like I do I think you do ****** well Dad :) you'll love it this weekend, proper tyres and another 100bhp has given us potential for some serious fun!

Nice to see a bit of father son love on the forum! wish my dad was into cars apart from crashing them!

i lose count of how many tires and wheels you have!?

why the s3 rims again? whats happened to all the others??

haha, Sorry superK :p we collect wheels and tyres, can never have too many! We're pretty much stocked up for this year I think

Currently we have:

4 Oz superturismo's with Pirelli P-zero Asymetrico tyres - fitted as road wheels

4 Rota G-force wheels with Federal RS-R track tyres - 2mm left so still road legal

4 Leon Cupra Starfish wheels with Pirelli P-zero Corsa track tyres: tyres only got one airfield day left in them then scrap.

4 S3 Avus rims with scrubbed A048R tyres, just below legal limit, so a good 2-3 trackdays to be had from these

4 TT 6 spokes currently on the daily

4 B6 S4 Avus reps in need of tyres

4 almost new Yoko A048R tyres ready to go on the Rotas when the RS-R's wear out, all road legal for a Ring trip

4 Ex clio cup 200/620 slicks

4 Ex AMD touring car 235/610 slicks
Could do with one more set of 17'' lightweight rims really, as I don't have free access to a tyre machine to keep swapping things around.

Ideally, I'd like it to stay on some nice rims for road use so it looks cool, but at the same time, the nicer rims are lighter, so would be best off used on trackdays!

prawn thats just ****** greedy!

its alot of expense even if you dont have free access to a tire machine.

p.s. if you ever wana free up some cash, il happily take the rotas off your hands :) :icon_thumright:

haha, Sorry superK :p we collect wheels and tyres, can never have too many! We're pretty much stocked up for this year I think

Currently we have:

4 Oz superturismo's with Pirelli P-zero Asymetrico tyres - fitted as road wheels

4 Rota G-force wheels with Federal RS-R track tyres - 2mm left so still road legal

4 Leon Cupra Starfish wheels with Pirelli P-zero Corsa track tyres: tyres only got one airfield day left in them then scrap.

4 S3 Avus rims with scrubbed A048R tyres, just below legal limit, so a good 2-3 trackdays to be had from these

4 TT 6 spokes currently on the daily

4 B6 S4 Avus reps in need of tyres

4 almost new Yoko A048R tyres ready to go on the Rotas when the RS-R's wear out, all road legal for a Ring trip

4 Ex clio cup 200/620 slicks

4 Ex AMD touring car 235/610 slicks
Could do with one more set of 17'' lightweight rims really, as I don't have free access to a tyre machine to keep swapping things around.

Ideally, I'd like it to stay on some nice rims for road use so it looks cool, but at the same time, the nicer rims are lighter, so would be best off used on trackdays!

Pics!! :)

The rotas won't be for sale I'm afraid! The long term plan is to get rid of the OEM wheels and replace with lighter aftermarket ones. The annoying side of having both OEM and after market is having to carry a spare set of wheel bolts for when we change.

We've just picked them all up as and when they've popped up. The yokos and slicks have all been part worns, which is the best way to do it for sure.

A048R's in 225/45/17 are almost £200 each to buy new!

hey mate, my a3 is gonna be slightly more powerful as Im changing rods and pistons

Just curious to know how the car handling is like with all the power, I have an quaife LSD as well and was wondering if you had a lot of understeer?