Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

really depends on the rest dude.....

Gearbos should be out tomorrow, then it's a waiting game until that's back. Turbo should be on and fitted this week, but I'll still need the new FMIC and EBC before I can get it mapped. Still tempted by WMI too, but just not sure if it's worth it at the moment considering I'll only be running at about 18psi.

Prawn I love this feed mate iv got my hybrid on the car at min but doin what u have done got agu largeport sat there waiting 550cc genesis , 3" tip , intercooler ordering xs downpipe decat and manifold at same time then I can fix it all in place yours look ace all together mate

I can get agu block, inlet mani, rocker cover, pistons, rods, crank, head lot for 230 posted I no it's a bargin just do I go all that way pal emmmm

I should not of got the kw v2 coilovers And milltek cat back and cracked on with the rebuild lol but ha ho not going back now

Sorry to hear about the GB prawn,hopefully once is sorted you can enjoy the hybrid!

9f1257f1.jpg

It's out! Just having lunch then I'll drop the box, ready to take to GT Jonny (the one thumb magician) tomorrow afternoon!

You know, I think having the box out might actually make it easier to fit the turbo without pulling the head. Once the mani is on I'll have a massive hole underneath to lift the turbo up into place :)

Also now got nordlocks for EVERYTHING! This is going on once, and staying on!

Everything in that picture above is what the missus wants for her Leon! lol

Lol she wont be buying any of it i shouldnt think. She`s just forked out to go to Canada to see her friend. Unless of course said above parts were dirt cheap lol.

It's out! Just having lunch then I'll drop the box, ready to take to GT Jonny (the one thumb magician) tomorrow afternoon!

That guy sounds like a right muppet. Hope he didnt give you too much stick on the phone?

Glad the gb ain't slowing you down prawn

I have the same downpipe as you.do you have a part number for the middle gasket of the down,pipe. not the turbo to downpipe,the mid section one. ta

Glad the gb ain't slowing you down prawn

I have the same downpipe as you.do you have a part number for the middle gasket of the down,pipe. not the turbo to downpipe,the mid section one. ta

Won't be an OEM gasket if you are on about the 2 bolt type... I use a high temp silicon sealant for that one...

Either that or try a local exhaust place...

<tuffty/>

Arrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!! ****** thread lock!!!!! (dad you git!)

Last time the box came out, we worryingly found that lots of the bolts were less than dead tight.

Rather than use standar thread lock, dad had a search online and came up with some super thread lock jobby.

It's ****** super alright, it's taking me twice as long as usual to get this box out, as I'm almost killing myself on every bolt!

Almost there now, but I don't think I'll get it out tonight, got
To pick tori up from work in 40 mins and I need to clear up and clean up!
It's ****** super alright,

haha. what a horrid job that was, freezing cold, and light fading, I was determined to get it out today!

So that's the stripping done in a day. All that's left to be removed is the cam cover and inlet mani for painting and to change gaskets, then it'll all go back together with a fresh coat of paint :)

Heatshield stuff (thanks tufty for the tip) should be waiting for me at the post office tomorrow morning, and my VHT orange paint arrived today, so I just need a few cans of satin black and I can spend the weekend tarting things up before I get stuck back into bolting things up on Monday :)

Feeling pretty good about it all so far!

Question for anyone?

Can anyone suggest a reason AGAINST using nordlock washers on the manifold-head studs? I picked a load up cheap today from a nut and bolt place I went to, and thought surely it can't hurt to add some security on them?

If using Nordlocks on the studs, would you replace the factory thick washers completely? or use both?

Well usually I would assume so yes SuperK, but the OEM washers are VERY thick (like 3mm) so I wondered if they were some kind of specific steel that expanded quicker than the studs/manifold as to make sure it tightens when hot and doesn't loosen off

Does that make sense?

it does, but nordlocks are very thick together. possibly 3mm. and with heat, and the way they work, they can only get tighter.

didnt westy end up using nordlocks on his mani bolts?? or jardo?

I don't know, I'll see what Bill or Tufty advice when they appear online :)

I go the Nordlocks for the 3 turbo bolts from Bill, then picked up 3 more today for the downpipe (ko3S downpipes always come loose), and 14 for the mani studs if I'm going to go ahead with that.

Also had to order a load of new studs as 5 pulled out of the head, and I've got all new nuts for the whole lot anyway :)

Nords all the way...
IMG_4365.jpg

...and contrary to what I said in the chat we had the other day I used them on the manifold too... had a couple of studs back out so I removed them all, cleaned them out and refitted the studs with thread lock to be sure... then used M8 Nords for the mani nuts instead of the thick washers normally fitted...

<tuffty/>

That is sweet, Where did you buy the seats from? I couldn't do all that messing around in the rain :sadlike: nice though.

I've realised that if this is going to work, first time, I've got to take my time over everything. No point rushing. So, progress is slow!

Started the day off with an EVAP delete. The fewer things running behind the glowifold the better, so the Evap and associated crap was first to go:

5710d096.jpg

It worked out rather well too, I cur the hardline for the tank vent off the push fitting, then used part of the old moulded Evap hose with a 90 degree bend in it to run a new tank vent line down into the existing hole in the wheel arch:

9cb7310e.jpg

Next up a bit of CAD to get the basic shape and bends for the extra heat shield I was adding:

911ab0a2.jpg

Finished, it curves up under the bulkhead at the top and bolts on each side, it clamps to the original heat shield in the middle, and also has a tab sharing a bolt with the steering rack heat shield at the bottom:

Annoyingly, this looks crap in the pics, but in real life, it's not too bad at all.

73fd0fa2.jpg

e43e7f98.jpg

Wraps back at the bottom to meet the underbody heatshielding too

ceb15a64.jpg

After that, following a conversation with Tufty the other day, I decided to pull out all the manifold studs in the head.

****** time consuming with the head on the engine still, using 2 nuts and 2 spanners to back them out, but I replaced them all with new studs, and threadlocked them in. Worth doing I think if it's to last

bbe8038b.jpg

And now the happy bit:

6b27ba1f.jpg

It's on!!!!

OK, so it's not tightened up yet, but it's in place, with nordlocks on every stud, and new nuts, and the best news is, I can turn every single nut with a normal spanner. It'll be easier to tighten a few with a modified spanner though, so I'm going to nip down to B&Q in a minute and pick up some cheap spanners.

I've also found, that by removing one of the DP studs, I can get a normal spanner on the impossible 3rd turbo bolt too, so there really is hope!

Off to meet Dan now (Beachbuggy) as my ko3 Banjo's for the water lines are different and I hadn't realised.

One question for people: What's going on here?

a70ddc60.jpg

There's no way it'll tighten down with just a crush washer on there, although, I'm wondering if my turbo has been clocked for any reason? The actuator bracket has been welded up, and it looks like the locating tab would line up nicely with one of the comp housing studs, but if it's been clocked then of course they don't line up.

Is the support important? or shall I just bend it out of the way and do up the banjo as per normal?

Is the pipe the original from the k03s? If it is then could it be that because the comp housing is bigger on the k04, it's lifted the banjo up? I'd be tempted to just bend the bracket out the way

It's a ko4 water line Lewis, looks like the housing needs clicking just 1-2 degrees and it should line up fine :)

Tha is for the banjos Dan, let me know when you find hat turbo support bracket and I'll pop over with that adaptor

Oh ****. That's. I good then. I've not got any more.

Will crack on for now and get something sorted ASAP. Cheers Paul