Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

Rover V8, 4WD transmission - old landrover

I see what you mean now about the adapters Sam, I hadn't understood that before.

I've got an adapter that's arrived on Friday. I'll see if the sensor will screw into it when I get home this evening.

it may be a case of drilling out the centre of the adapter slightly. I'll see what's possible and report back.

Let me know how you go. I tried drilling my adapter for the 8mm probe and it split in two but it was soft ally. Brass might be stronger.

Good luck with the MOT! Certainly stricter than our pink slip over here.

Somebody is using a rover V8 to run a compressor. That is an expensive way to compress air.

For those who havn't seen, apparently it's user isn't too bothered about running costs :laugh:

Reactions: desertstorm, VAG-Slag, craigt1985 and 1 other person
:sign omg: I'm being watched!

:laugh:

Just a little clip, the new guy at work has the longest private drive I've ever seen, it's great!

Still far from perfect, but it's fuelling safely the whole way, EGTs are very good (peaks 69x here before let off)

Timing seems fairly good already, with just the tiniest flicker of the knock light at peak torque, on this run. It doesn't happen every run at all, so it's not a huge issue. It's partly so do with how the ign correction curve works, in that it's actually at 19.5 degrees ign when it occurs, because it pulls more timing or as boost increases. With more boost it would be 18 degrees and no light.
Either way, I'll obviously address it when next on the laptop in car :)

As with all things mapping, it's finding that fine balancing line to run on. It's great fun doing it yourself too.

Once Im finished I'll book in with Mr. B for a dyno run. It'll be like exam results day, hoping for an A* :laugh:

Reactions: craigt1985
Inner charva coming out in me here Nick, but that TFSI dump is sooo much more pleasant than the 1.8T dump.
It just sounds quick and more efficient for some reason!

Looks strong, see what the Jedi Master Mr B thinks of your mapping skills, when does he get to check it over?

Inner charva coming out in me here Nick, but that TFSI dump is sooo much more pleasant than the 1.8T dump.
It just sounds quick and more efficient for some reason!

Looks strong, see what the Jedi Master Mr B thinks of your mapping skills, when does he get to check it over?

I'll be honest I don't mind the atmospheric either :laugh: it sneezes on low throttle, then sounds like I've run over a small dog at higher loads :laugh:

On my day at Bills last year I learnt so much. It wasn't just a days mapping at all. Now that I know the correct approach, I'm pretty confident I can get it pretty good with a good few hours work on the road.

I've got a fair bit still to do, as this was only a first session really to see if the actuator was up to it. Once I've added more preload and tested again I'll know for sure, and then start working on smoothing on the fueling a bit to suit the new engine. Comparing old logs from Bills map to the current logs, the fueling post dyno was mega smooth, so there is work to do.

I'd just like it dyno'd to be sure it's safe and to see how good (or bad!) a job I've done!

And of course to know a power figure :racer:

:blackrs4:

Reactions: scotty_24
A bit more work! It's amazing how quickly you get back into these things. Now it's up and running my motivation to progress is at al all time high.

I'm approaching it differently now though, having the garage it's more of a marathon than a sprint. I'll nip out for an hour each night and make small steps, but usually in the right direction :)

So, this evening I set about adding more preload to the actuator.

This is where I started. About 1mm preload if I remember correctly:

I marked the flats, and added 2 full turns, which on a 1mm pitch, is exactly 2mm.

I then did a bit of tidying up, thinking how easy that had been.
Whilst tidying, I had a change of heart, went back into the pit, and added another 1mm of preload :laugh:

Next, I decided to flush the coolant out again.
I'd run a flush / cleaner through it on Sunday and left that in there, so I warmed it up to about 50 degrees this evening, then dropped the coolant:

It came out really quite clear, which I guess is good :)

I filled it with water again, and warmed back to 60 degrees, then dropped it again.

Then I let it cool naturally for a while and got on with some other small jobs.

New oil cooler hose zip tied solid, plus an added over sleeve to prevent any rubbing on the back of the fan motor.

All filled back up with g12 and water, a quick wipe down, and it's ready for the road again.

Only, I was hungry :laugh:

In years gone by I'd have forgotten dinner, made poor Victoria wait, and gone off for a test drive, usually getting sidetracked by mapping and end up out for hours.

Somehow though, not having it for 7 months has made me less obsessive, which is probably no bad thing! Haha.

I'll see how early I wake up tomorrow, and if there's time
I'll test drive before work. Otherwise, I'll go for a spin tomorrow night.

Assuming all is well, it'll be time to put the splitter back on. If not, I'll be off to guildford to collect an actuator from Dan at some point :)

Looking forward to the Ergen breakfast meet on Christmas Eve!

:racer:

Reactions: StaceyS3, scotty_24 and <tuffty/>
good work prawny

Cheers Mr. B. I'll be in touch in the new year to arrange a visit to seek your approval :racer:

If it makes 360 or more I'll be over the moon.

It certainly feels good. I'll be testing the preloaded actuator this evening :)

Prawn, will you be back in God's country this Christmas?

Keep the updates coming!

I actually don't think I will this year Craig! First time in many years.

Hampshire is home for me now :)

Will keep the updates coming :)

drove the car last night after adding some preload.

Definitely more Spritely coming onto boost, but still only around 10psi opening.

Top end is a little stronger, but it's a little inconsistent as it's basically maxed out. If I roll onto the throttle from 4-5k I'll be seeing 22psi at 7k, yet if I do a full sweep from low rpm it seems to peak a little lower, 20 or so.

I'd be happier with a stronger actuator, and a peak boost level that's defined by a lower duty, rather than peg the actuator and hope for the best!

I also definitely need to pull out a degree or two at peak torque, the added boost had made the knock light a little more active. Still only a flicker, but I'd prefer to see nothing at all!

One things for sure though, it feels pretty quick!

Reactions: g60leigh and Sandra
The position it's in doesn't help either, squeezed between a hot block and a hot turbo.

When it's 'cold' (not yet thrashed) it makes the numbers. But when everything is toasty it's just not quite there. New actuator should sort all that though. We took a gamble using this actuator anyway, and it didn't pay off.

Temperatures so far are all looking very promising too. I know it's cold weather currently, but even on the heavy power runs coolant is sitting around 80 degrees and the engine isn't radiating much heat at all even after a power run, so that's all positive.

Egts are also looking very favourable.

I'm sure temps will rise during sustained track abuse, but just going on relative data now compared to the previous engine, it seems like a few small hardware changes have certainly been a good step.

For now, aside from a small timing tweak I think I may just enjoy it until I've got a new actuator on there. I don't want to spend too long fine tuning, only to end up revisiting it when the base line changes.

Absolutely LOVING having my car back thoogh!

Reactions: Nathan Barnes and CSS3
Its nice to see you've got the motivation back.

Keep at it, if you get bored of waiting for the actuator; halfords and diy stores sell extension springs.....

Reactions: Prawn
You love those springs don't you Ant :laugh:

I know that they work, I'd just prefer to have the correct actuator on there rather than a spring aided setup.

It's ****** fast as it is, and aside from the one tiny timing tweak I need to make tomorrow, it's plenty good enough to get out there and enjoy :racer:

I really ought to fix my car but can't be actual a*sed... look forward to seeing you in the new year dude

<tuffty/>

360 is your target?
Big Power starts with a 4 :whistle2:

Reactions: VAG-Slag
He's being modest..... We all expect 400 really :yahoo:

If it doesn't make 350 i'm sure Nick would sell £1 raffle tickets giving the car away and the proceeds to charity :hi:

How has the spec changed hardware wise?
Thought same turbo was going on etc?

Same turbo. small port engine instead of large port. Everything else basically the same.

I think 360 is a realistic target. It was 370 previously.

Getting a little frustrated with this mapping lark currently. The hardware has changed enough that it needs a fair bit of work to suit the new characteristics.

I've made changes today and feel like I've gone backward a little. Ended up with 1.68bar peak and 1.65 at the redline. Ohps!

Utterly bonkers fast, but a few flickers of the knock light and I'm
Generally uncomfortable with that, even if it is a passing flicker.

I pulled some boost out, to 1.55bar at the top end, but still had a tiny flicker.

I looked back through the logs, to find the flickers coincided with 2 small lean spots, so they need addressing!

Every change you make impacts elsewhere, so it's very easy to end uk going round in circles!

It's not a million miles off though, it drives great, and feels really good. It's just a case of fine tuning it really.

I'll get there!

We will definitely be going for our drive on Christmas Day!

Reactions: Jay 01 s3
And we did. My First drive in eight months. It B..... Well goes B well. It creates it's own weather. Looking forward to its first track day.

What tracks first for you. Merry xmas bte

We'll have to see what's available in the open track Boxing Day sale tomorrow!

Otherwise, I'm currently thinking Bedford on Jan 20th, depending if I can get booked into bills for a quick dyno run / check over before then to make 200% sure it's safe.

Today I loaded on an earlier version of my map, far far closer to what I left Bills with again last year.
From my testing I knew that 95% duty saw me 22 psi or so top end, so I copied the boost profile from an old map, which we knew worked well, then lifted the whole table until the top end was at 95%.

The result has worked perfectly, with a spool up to 1.35 bar straight away, then a steady rise to 1.55 bar at 7500rpm, and it feels absolutely amazing! No flicker of the knock light any more either, so I'm very happy :)

More than anything else though, I achieved my mission.

I told Dad that we'd be going for a drive on Christmas Day, and just 4 weeks ago, that seemed like a pretty tall order, but thanks to a bit of luck, a lot of hard work, and some great friends, it's happened.

Merry Christmas Big Bad Dad:

And Merry Christmas Audi-Sport!

Reactions: fanta, S3 Hilife, tomjol and 11 others
Massive achievement in the last few weeks well done made good to see here going again. Watching the mapping closely as Ill be running an older k3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massive achievement in the last few weeks well done made good to see here going again. Watching the mapping closely as Ill be running an older k3.

Cheers mate :racer:

Nothing wrong with the k3 :) it's good enough for upwards of 500bhp in the front running TT in combe saloons :racer:

First trackday now booked!

top work buddy cant wait to see how she has changed !!!

get settled then I can throw a new test unit at you lol

:sign welcome::blackrs4:

Sounds pretty good to me Clive!

The rebuilt turbo is doing very well too thanks :) Can't wait to get on track at Bedford in 4 weeks time. I have a feeling I'll be a bit Rusty!

:racer:

I cant imagine that lasting more than a few laps!!!
Good news about the track day being booked !!!!

I'm sure I'll feel at home pretty quickly :racer:

I'm genuinely pleased to say Andy will be joining us in the Red Barron too!

For long term readers of this thread, this needs no introduction....

Hello, I've got similar project - S3 8l rallycar, building on my own :) S3 8l BAM, K04-064, forged Techno5 connecting rods, kingrace bearings, new exhaust valve and new pistons rings set. At this moment I finishing build the engine. Swapping from AMK to BAM becouse of bearing damaged.

After "bum" of engine S3 works perfectly on special stages :)

I'll be watching your project, If U want, You can check mine here http://www.racingforum.pl/index.php?showtopic=136380

Greets from Poland :)

Reactions: Alex C, Prawn, A19quattro and 2 others
Hello Prawn!

Good effort on the rebuild hope it all comes together. Could you advise where you had your body work fixed, I remember reading it was electro weld pull styles fix, is what I'm after and your only up the road from me =]

Cheers bud!

Hello, I've got similar project - S3 8l rallycar, building on my own :) S3 8l BAM, K04-064, forged Techno5 connecting rods, kingrace bearings, new exhaust valve and new pistons rings set. At this moment I finishing build the engine. Swapping from AMK to BAM becouse of bearing damaged.

I'll be watching your project, If U want, You can check mine here http://www.racingforum.pl/index.php?showtopic=136380

Greets from Poland :)

Hi! Welcome to Audi-sport!

I've had a look through your thread, I like how you've offset the gear shifter to suit the handbrake, and I LOVE the red motorsport ABS controller :laugh:

Its a shame I can't read Polish, because it looks great!

Hello Prawn!

Good effort on the rebuild hope it all comes together. Could you advise where you had your body work fixed, I remember reading it was electro weld pull styles fix, is what I'm after and your only up the road from me =]

Cheers bud!

Hi mate.
For bodywork in Hampshire I'd be speaking to a Jamie at extreme finishing. They're on the Houndmills estate in Basingstoke, just next to X-sport racing.

Happy to say also that I rang Bill this morning, and I'm booked in for some dyno time next Sunday :) that gives me this week to work on a few little bits and get it as good as I can, then we'll see what this new engine is putting out :racer:

To be honest, I think I'll be happy if it's 350 or more. Having not had the car for so long it FEELS really quick, but you never really know until it's on the rollers.

Fingers crossed :racer:

Its a shame I can't read Polish, because it looks great!

Fortunately Google Translate can :)

http://bit.ly/2iNAlMZ

Glad to hear you've managed to find some dyno time - props to Bill for being able to fit you in so soon and giving up a Sunday to boot! Shall look forward to seeing how you get on.

alrighty prawn, happy new year to you and all the other ASN members, was glad to see you and al managed to get out xmas day. and that the ball is rolling again.

like ive said in the past, if you ever decide to head up to knockhill or that, feel free to drop me a message and come over for a coffee, live 20 miles from there.

since you were saying about removing the stereo for some gauges, i thought i would send you these, i have a single one in my drivers side vent made from this company, perfect fit, not even needed glued in, and i thought that the centre ones would be a better suit for you, means you would still have your heating/ac on either side of the car, means you would still retain your heating, since i know that its something you really want to keep.

links :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-8...613627?hash=item33bdcc47bb:g:g1QAAOSwLmVXDkeK

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-8...e:Audi&hash=item33bdb4c102:g:rhwAAOSwYmZXDiwD

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-M...e:Audi&hash=item33bf324053:g:~9gAAOSwZQxW3Pjv

hope this helps in some way.

oh, and just out of curiosity, have you thought about maybe sticking a kamei/mesh grill on it, might help keep those engine temps down a bit.

also thought it would be pretty cool to see this on a drag strip one day, maybe if there is a german invasion at santa pod, would love to see what time and speed you get from it.

anyway...

good luck in the next year, oh, and congrats to you and victoria, sorry its late but forgot my password for a while.

Reactions: Prawn and nightroamer
alrighty prawn, happy new year to you and all the other ASN members, was glad to see you and al managed to get out xmas day. and that the ball is rolling again.

like ive said in the past, if you ever decide to head up to knockhill or that, feel free to drop me a message and come over for a coffee, live 20 miles from there.

since you were saying about removing the stereo for some gauges, i thought i would send you these, i have a single one in my drivers side vent made from this company, perfect fit, not even needed glued in, and i thought that the centre ones would be a better suit for you, means you would still have your heating/ac on either side of the car, means you would still retain your heating, since i know that its something you really want to keep.

links :

hope this helps in some way.

oh, and just out of curiosity, have you thought about maybe sticking a kamei/mesh grill on it, might help keep those engine temps down a bit.

also thought it would be pretty cool to see this on a drag strip one day, maybe if there is a german invasion at santa pod, would love to see what time and speed you get from it.

If we ever manage to make it up to Knockhill I'll certainly let you know! it's definitely one I'd like to do, and once we're towing it's more likely that we'd make the trip, but I can't imagine it being any time this year with baby on the way, as I imagine I'll want to stay closer to home!

Those vent/gauge holders look good too! I've just bought the right hand side pod holder, so thanks!

Long term I'd like to remove the radio, and move a few things into the centre but for £13 I'll get the side pod and get the gauge installed ASAP! Then I can take my time and do a decent job in the future :)