Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

get your rev limit raised to 7.7K ish it's honestly the best thing ever!

I need a turbo which will actually boost at that kind of RPM first man! My ko3S struggles to hold 10psi at 6k RPM!

****** thing.

The hybrid is going to love being in my car though, unlike you buggers, I'll give it a nice break and run it at a pathetic 18psi for long term happiness and joy.

lol thats what I meant :)

it's never been run for any length of time above 18 psi with me, apart from when it went bansai once or twice plus its got a whole new hotside. :)

been wanting too get a small battery to relocate to inside the car somewhere for a while.

Don't fancy paying the £100 or to for another powervamp battery like I have in the mini.

Andy (master welder and volvo freak) showed me this on Saturday:

IMG_2800.jpg

It's a mobility scooter battery, apparently identical in spec to a powervamp PVR25, or Varley redtop 25. It also weighs exactly the same at 5.5kg, and the amazing thing is, it costs just £27!

I think I might have to go with one of them :) Just got to work out where I want to mount it.

been wanting too get a small battery to relocate to inside the car somewhere for a while.

Don't fancy paying the £100 or to for another powervamp battery like I have in the mini.

Andy (master welder and volvo freak) showed me this on Saturday:

IMG_2800.jpg

It's a mobility scooter battery, apparently identical in spec to a powervamp PVR25, or Varley redtop 25. It also weighs exactly the same at 5.5kg, and the amazing thing is, it costs just £27!

I think I might have to go with one of them :) Just got to work out where I want to mount it.

Prawn have you a link / name / spec of the battery??

Great write up guys, may well sell my garage car 98 2.8 Z3 and do something exciting!!!

Cheers dude, FMIC is infact a turbo revs one as sold on eBay for £200, although I bought it from tuner-stop in California long before they were on UK eBay! Shame really, as I paid twice the price!

oh unlucky, nevermind, at least you were one of the first to get it. im pretty much on the same stage as you (engine power wise) I got mine mapped on wednesday and they said they ahd to pull the power back beacuse the turbo revs smic was providing enough cooling. I might get a E-bay one but dont want the pipes on display. Either that or i'll get a THS one.

the THS one looks lovely, but it it twice the price, and it will most certainly not do twice the job.....

With my turborevs one, I NEVER see inlets over 30 degrees, even at 22-23psi of boost, they just don't go up, at all.

On to this evening.....

Well, tonight was one of those nights, were you just can't be ***** to take pictures, because you're so ****** off!

I left work at 4pm, nice and early for a change, and decided to nip to TPS to get some new driveshaft bolts to do it properly.

an hour later after sitting in horrific guildford traffic, I was on my way home, and got home about 6pm.
Started work straight away, I dived in, and pulled both shafts out. Then got out the new shafts, to find this:

baaaed30.jpg

I was ****** furious! old shaft and old spare on the top, new shaft on the bottom. it was 20mm too short!

it's definitely the correct part number, and for my car, but it's just way too short to ever work. Not happy, at all!

The second shaft was fine:

d94dcca5.jpg

So, I had it apart, and it wasn't going back together as it was, because that's just a waste of my evening, so I set about making the best of what I had.

I figured it'd be the inner CV that was causing the issues if it was on that shaft, so I swapped the new inner CV from the new shaft onto my old shaft. I tried to swap the outter CV too, but try as I might, I WOULD NOT come off the new shaft. it was so tight on there :(

After an hours trying, I decided to use one of my old known working outter cv's.

Stuck it all back together, and finally finished about 9pm. Took it for a test drive, and thank the lord, it's fixed!!!!!

SO glad it's fixed, it feels SO smooth it's unreal, the old CV must have been going for a good while now, as it's not been this smooth in a long time.

Bring on JKM rolling road tomorrow :)

After that I'm heading to Andys again to finish off a final few bits of welding on the cage, then I've got two days off work next week to paint it

the THS one looks lovely, but it it twice the price, and it will most certainly not do twice the job.....

With my turborevs one, I NEVER see inlets over 30 degrees, even at 22-23psi of boost, they just don't go up, at all.

On to this evening.....

Well, tonight was one of those nights, were you just can't be ***** to take pictures, because you're so ****** off!

I left work at 4pm, nice and early for a change, and decided to nip to TPS to get some new driveshaft bolts to do it properly.

an hour later after sitting in horrific guildford traffic, I was on my way home, and got home about 6pm.
Started work straight away, I dived in, and pulled both shafts out. Then got out the new shafts, to find this:

baaaed30.jpg

I was ****** furious! old shaft and old spare on the top, new shaft on the bottom. it was 20mm too short!

it's definitely the correct part number, and for my car, but it's just way too short to ever work. Not happy, at all!

The second shaft was fine:

d94dcca5.jpg

So, I had it apart, and it wasn't going back together as it was, because that's just a waste of my evening, so I set about making the best of what I had.

I figured it'd be the inner CV that was causing the issues if it was on that shaft, so I swapped the new inner CV from the new shaft onto my old shaft. I tried to swap the outter CV too, but try as I might, I WOULD NOT come off the new shaft. it was so tight on there :(

After an hours trying, I decided to use one of my old known working outter cv's.

Stuck it all back together, and finally finished about 9pm. Took it for a test drive, and thank the lord, it's fixed!!!!!

SO glad it's fixed, it feels SO smooth it's unreal, the old CV must have been going for a good while now, as it's not been this smooth in a long time.

Bring on JKM rolling road tomorrow :)

After that I'm heading to Andys again to finish off a final few bits of welding on the cage, then I've got two days off work next week to paint it

And THAT prawn is why you shouldn't buy cheap **** off the internet and you should have bought a nice cheap genuine shaft and CV's from Audi.

have you not read the thread dude? shafts from TPS, with my discount, are £233 each.

**** that.

why arn't you on msn?

unlucky mate, should have tried the scrappy, bound to be a decent one you can use

Shame you arent closer. I could get genuine ones at cost which are about £150 plus vat each and obviously you`re old ones back.

So, it works, and I made it to JKM!

Had a bit of a mini Northloop meet at JKM, m0rk's ibiza left, and Robbobs Leon on the right:

21864f19.jpg

And of course AndyP in the volvo: bonnet up shocker!

0573539f.jpg

Ran the car on the rollers:

de12fe33.jpg

Roughly 10% down on 3 years ago, previously it made 226bhp / 290lbft. Today it made 208bhp / 264lbft.

To be honest, considering the thrashing it's had, the mileage, and the horrific state of the turbo, I'm fairly happy with that. it also means there's more to gain when the hybrid goes on, as I'll now be gaining almost 100bhp!

Will post the graphs later when JKM upload them to their site.

Andys volvo went on:

4f02ec50.jpg

So low it only just got on.

Something very strange happened to the volvo on the rollers though. For some reason it ran stupidly rich, and didn't boost properly, and only recorded 199bhp / 240lbft.

We know something was wrong, because on the road it occasionally logs a system too lean fault code. and it's a heavier car than my A3, yet can pull away from it on the motorway, so it definitely makes more power when out on the road compared to the dyno.

My A3 on the other hand, seems to make less boost on the road than it was on the dyno, so who knows what's going on!

Morks ibiza went on last, very strange little thing, 1.4 TFSI I believe it's called, supercharged and turbo'd. it made 203bhp, so pretty ****** impressive!

9612e242.jpg

After the rolling road, we headed over to Andys, to finish off the cage.

We decided to tie the cage into the roof structure with a few plates, as it's not like it's ever going to come out again anyway!

the main hoop was tied into the B pillars, right by the standard seatbelt top mounting, so we know it's a strong area:

f994a665.jpg

Then the front legs are tied into the A-pillar with a fairly long strip that covers both the upright, and the fore-aft members of the cage, and a 4'' seam weld into the A-pillar.

82846de6.jpg

8a1c886b.jpg

Now I just need to paint the ****** thing!

the car feels SO solid now it's unreal. Rear wheel lifts off the ground comming into my garage court yard:

1dacc90a.jpg

Thankfully we shouldn't find such extreme camber changes on the Ring, so hopefully it'll keep all 4 wheels planted.

you dont hang about at all do you lol

what power can be made from a ko3s hybrid? im guessing your going to upgrade your manifold aswell? I've heard the THS hi flow manifolds are good

you dont hang about at all do you lol

what power can be made from a ko3s hybrid? im guessing your going to upgrade your manifold aswell? I've heard the THS hi flow manifolds are good

I don't have time to hand around dude! We're at the Ring in 4 weeks time, and the car HAS to be finished. it's not optional!

ko3S hybrids can be good for 260-270bhp, but to get that you need to thrash the crap out of them, which on a track car, isnt going to work, as the heat cycles of constant abuse will kill the turbo in no time.

Thankfully, I'm not getting a ko3 hybrid, I've got a CR turbos V1 ko4 hybrid, Genesis 550cc injectors, and an XS power equal length stainless manifold, all from wellys car (via dane) which previously made 344bhp :)

I'm going to run it at about 18psi, for hopefully, a genuine 300bhp / 260ish lbft, that won't generate a horrid torque spike, and won't generate crazy heat and crack the manifold.

That's the plan anyway!

That is total and truly heroic win.

You are clearly talking about the parrot bluetooth handsfree Mic that's tucked in the corner arn't you :)

You are clearly talking about the parrot bluetooth handsfree Mic that's tucked in the corner arn't you :)

I'm not going to lie, I have had full on phone sex with your best friend in the early hours of the morning parked up out the top of Farley Mount on that thing. :blush:

Thats horrible.....

You know my Dad reads this build thread right?

You do now anyway. haha.

Thats horrible.....

You know my Dad reads this build thread right?

You do now anyway. haha.

Double post fail, you're doing that a lot recently.

Hi Al, for reference I never did such things when you were in joint ownership of this vehicle. And seeing as the carpets have been removed, seats changed, steering wheel changed (however the gear stick is one of my own special items) I'm pretty sure its a hygienic and safe zone in that sense. Although, due to your sons horrendous bum gasses the likes of which are fit for nothing short of a holocaust the area is probably not fit for human life forms.

That sounds like a nice turbo setup mate, should be interesting to see the results. by ko4 hybrid, do you mean the ko3s replacement or the s3 ko4?

Im planning a trip to the ring next year, cant wait, first time though so i'll be driving like ms daisy

Edit - do you have a link for welly's build thread? sounds interesting

Last edited:
I dont have a link to wellys hybrid thread sorry dude, I'm on my phone at the mo!

By ko4 hybrid, I mean a ko4-023 that's been hybrid'd, so the same hybrid you'd usually fit to an s3/ LCR

You should plan your ring trip to come with us!

Ok cool i get you. when its all sorted and mapped its going to fly!

Yeah I'd be up for that, doubt I will be able to make it by september though, got a holiday to save for plus a few other things. I was thinking sometime next year so that would give me a chance to get everything setup how I want it and ready for the ring!

sorry, I ment you should come with us next year!

I'll be going 2-3 times again next year. Starting early May probably, then hopefully one in July, and one first week of september as usual :)

Just been out for a drive this evening, having seen the power curve on the dyno yesterday, I decided to adapt my driving style to suit the delivery a little more.

Rather than using 4-6k when pushing on, I've started short shifting, and using 3-5k, and MY GOD, using all 265lbft it's got makes it REALLY fly :)

very happy indeed :)

Can't imagine what it's going to be like with the hybrid on :S

loool May sounds good! coudl go again for my b-day in july so thats a bonus.
I had a stage 2 remap from Rtech last week and made 225bhp and 245tq. they said i could have got a more if I had a fmic. wish i hadnt bothered with the turbo revs side mount now. I'll either get a ebay one for 250, ths fmic or i,ll buy a core and get the pipework custom made as i dont really want any pipes visible. not sure if you know of this car but he had a s3 engine fitted into a 4motion golf with a hybrid ko4. this was quick as, have a look ‪Golf 4 motion with 1.8T k04 hybrid turbo 300bhp launch to 7327rpm then spits flames‬‏ - YouTube

Reactions: Inertiauk
I've seen that car before, owned by Dan. he ended up going with a GT28 after a few issues with the hybrid.

Hopefully, I'm not going to run into the same issues others have, as unlike the S3 boys going for over 300bhp and running it at high boost, I'm going to keep the boost nice and low :)

Should have an update tonight, following a special personal delivery I am expecting!

I've seen that car before, owned by Dan. he ended up going with a GT28 after a few issues with the hybrid.

Hopefully, I'm not going to run into the same issues others have, as unlike the S3 boys going for over 300bhp and running it at high boost, I'm going to keep the boost nice and low :)

Should have an update tonight, following a special personal delivery I am expecting!

Who's running that over to you mate?

Lol the 5 Kay Clutch Killer

Nah not with my k04, Bill/mark's install, and a paddle clutch lol

Don't talk to me about clutches, I'm on my 3rd this year in the track car, and I've done one in the daily too :(

lol what clutches are you guys running? chocolate clutch kits lol

Yeah dans had issue with the hybrid surging so he went gt2871r running about 370bhp then one of his valves went boom!

im in two minds in regards to a turbo upgrades though. I mean i love the instant spool-up from the k03s but with big turbo, i just couldnt handle the lag. would still be fun though

nah, I've just had bad luck this year :(

It's been on a VR6 LUK clutch for 3 years, then when I fitted the new ibiza box in March, my slave cylinder started leaking, and leaked all over the clutch, killing it, so that one went.

Box out again, and a new clutch was fitted. That did good service for a castle combe track day and 1 ring trip, then a bolt in the crownwheel decided to escape, via the bell housing and box casing sadly, so flooded the clutch with fluid again, hence the 3rd clutch it's had this year!

Daily did a special job of it too, snapping the clutch operating arm that's pressed by the slave, sending the snapped arm into the pressure plate, destroying it all. So that got a single mass fly and VR6 clutch upgrade too.

As for hybrids surging, I believe Dan had the V2 turbo, which just didn't work.

Surge is a risk when running then at higher boost

I hear you. Wouldn it be easier to change to a ko3hybrid rather than k04? You'll only need injectors, 3 inch maf and fuel pump then remap for a hybrid. Oh yeah and maybe a new manifold aswell