Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

Subtle as ever Jardo

He'll be back don't you worry, I think he'll do one of two things next...

Finally fit a rear light lens to that ****** EK9!!!!

Or he'll buy back his old car from Gops and carry on at usual.

I hope. Because as we all know, I ******* love Jo.

Reactions: daz-20vt, jojo and voorhees
True true :encouragement:
Tbh he has about a dozen cars anyway

so how was it in the end nick?
you able to stay on slicks all day?

How is that Clarke low entry jack still going , they're well known to fail , mine ****** oil past a seal after several lifts .

How is that Clarke low entry jack still going , they're well known to fail , mine ****** oil past a seal after several lifts .

I've had one got about 18 months used weekly and still fine didn't know they failed.

Definitely made of chocolate , some could go on for a long time , nice and light though .

Bought an Arcan to replace the Clarke .

First Clarke jack lasted me 6-7 years! the seals eventually gave out, but it never dropped the car, just wouldn't lift it high enough in the end.

I could have rebuilt it, but it had had a LOT of abuse so we got a fresh one. They've been great for me!

Ahha, photo bucket has decided to work again! Wonderful :)

So, ADI! What a cracking day, on the whole.

My friend Nick, who's not on here, very kindly offered to bring my Wets along for me, so he arrived at mine at just gone 6am, we loaded up, and hit the road.

The weather on the journey up was HORRENDOUS! properly horrid.

A quick splash and dash 3 miles from Combe, and we were ready:

It was pretty wet and miserable early on. Not raining, but by no means slicks weather. So I headed out for the first session on the worlds oldest semi slicks:

It was HORRIBLE. Christ it was slippery out there. lots of standing water.

A quick swap over the to wets, and I was ready to head back out.

The sun had come out, but the track was still SOAKING at this point:

Sadly, we got held in the pitlane for over 20 minutes, and with the strong sun out, by the time we got onto the track. there was a dry line appearing! ArGH!

I drove round for a lap to see how it felt. but I was very concious of burning out the wets on a rapidly drying track. so after 2 laps, we came back in.

Adam got a little clip of us during that session here, you can see me taking a totally different line out of Quarry aiming for the wet patch on the iniside to cool the tyres! Video quality killed by whatsapp!

After that fail-tastic outing, we headed back in to swap to slicks, so the real fun could start :)

James Murray, who some will remember as JamPublic from here, got some great shots whilst we were changing the wheels over!

I'm not always grumpy, honest!

We headed out for one more session before lunch, and that was all we managed in the morning! bit of a slow start!

After lunch James got a few more cool shots:

Coming back in from a session with S3Paul :)

A little vid from my session with Paul, far from our fastest laps of the day, but not too bad:

And a little driveby that Robin took which i THINK is from the same session:

Reactions: jojo, Adam P, Mrharris2 and 1 other person
May I ask how are those p zero corsas in the wet mainly... I know a bloke who has 4 with 7mm tread selling for 160 pound gets them from his dad in Germany brilliant bloke to know for tyres...

May I ask how are those p zero corsas in the wet mainly... I know a bloke who has 4 with 7mm tread selling for 160 pound gets them from his dad in Germany brilliant bloke to know for tyres...

In all honesty mate, they're not the best in the rain! Although mine are 10 years old now! So really, it's not much of a comparison!

We got them cheap as something road legal to roll around on for a while out of season. They were OK when i got them, but after a few heat cycles they're now cracking up and to be honest they need to be retired soon totally. they won't see a track again that's for sure.

More to come from ADI when I've had my lunch :)

Reactions: Mrharris2
Car looked and sounded great on the day! credit to you for building something like that!
Does your pit team usually all wear checkered shirts ? :racer:

Brake light 'failure' warning George, although all 3 brake lights have always worked just fine! it is annoying, but you get used to it :laugh:

Car looked and sounded great on the day! credit to you for building something like that!
Does your pit team usually all wear checkered shirts ? :racer:

Thanks Adam.

We laughed so much at the guys in the red check shirts. pure coincidence that they all turned up in matching gear :laugh:

Final few pics from the day:

I had a few more decent sessions, taking a few more people out.

A friend of Jamies took this great shot as we were heading out to the track:

For the very last session of the day I took Robins housemate Alan out. As I got to the pitlane they said there were only 10 mins running left and to go and enjoy it.

I tried to fire up the camera, but the battery was dead - oh well, it's only the last few laps.

As I left the pitlane and accelerated up Avon Rise, I looked in my mirrors to see Bill in the Badgerwagon flying up behind me having already done an outlap.

This was a bit daunting having just come out on colder tyres, but I pressed on, and the following 3-4 laps were probably some of my most enjoyable of the year!

Having a bright yellow race car with Mr. B at the wheel certainly gives you cause to up your game a little!

After 3-4 thoroughly enjoyable laps nose to tail, I came up Avon Rise, with around 145mph on the clock, and hit the brake pedal, to find the car tried to turn itself right.

Hmmmmmmmm - strange? :notworking: I had to abort braking and try again a few yards later, totally messing up my line into Quarry, so I stuck the indicator on and let Bill through, then attempted to give chase.

I assumed I'd touched on a cement patch covering an oil spill or similar, but when braking hard and late into the esses, the car again turned right. possible fault? or just me trail braking a little to hard into the bend? Not sure, but by this point I was wary.

At Tower I hit the brakes once more, and again it turned itself right - Nope. that's definitely a problem - Badger Chasing mode disengaged :sign unfair:

I coasted around one more lap to allow things to cool without touching the brakes, and headed back in to call it a day and see what had happened to my brakes.

A quick inspection, and it soon became apparent!

hmmmmmmmmmm, they're a little lower than they were at lunch time!

best whip the pads out for a quick check:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! That'll explain it then! having used the car entirely on clockwise circuits, on slicks all year, the front left has always run slightly hotter, which is to be expected. The additional heat had lead to the front left pads wearing out before the front rights, so when braking, the car was trying to slow the right hand wheel FAR more than the left, and causing the car to turn under braking!

I swapped the wheels back to the road tyres, and swapped out the dead front pads for my RS29 spares for the drive home.

We loaded up the cars, and we were ready to head off!

Car was filthy, but I was very pleased with how it had performed all day

One more splash of fuel to get us home, in the same place it all started about 10 hours earlier:

Observations once home:

This was our first time on the Dunlop slicks, having used Yoko slicks for the past year.

I like the Dunlops. They seemed to warm up pretty fast, and the grip seemed comparable to the Yokos.

They do appear to have worn more than the yokos over the course of a single day though, and also were picking up LOTS of rubber on track at Combe, look at these!

I rotated tyres around mid way through the day to preserve them, but I think there will only be 1-2 days left in these in total. I got 4 trackdays from the last set of Yokos. So 3 from the Dunlops would be OK i think.

There is lots of pick up on the inside edges:

but looking for a wear dimple, there still seems to be a good amount of tyre left also:

Last job post ADI was to clean all the wheels:

Victoria is over the moon about my tyre storage solutions in the house :laugh:

Reactions: A19quattro, Alex C, <tuffty/> and 2 others
jeez its mad what you can learn reading your thread!
how aggresive did it pull to the right nick?
gutted i had to leave so early and again missing a pax!!

oh and your car is simply looking awesome!!!!

We didn't sadly no! We were so flat out busy all afternoon we didn't get a chance to get over there :'(

Thankfully Jojo brought my a chicken fried rice for lunch though, so I was happy :laugh:

Found this on instagram last night:

Thanks to our very own @Pubemammal for letting me know :)

I'm not sure what 'the button' is or does but I'm pretty sure I want one.

Think I need to swap out my hair dryer for a big turbo before I get one on those then. Have you got a rocket launch kind of button. Lift the cover turn the key then press the holy **** button?

Boost button is fun! mine remains firmly in the ON position when yellow ibizas appear!

I think Bill has to be a little more careful about where and when he presses his though, as a poorly timed application of the button could create a change in the earths rotation :laugh:

New brake pads ordered - went with Mintex F2R this time, one step up from the F4R I have been using this year.

Photo i got of your car on Saturday prawn :D

Reactions: Essexman
Thanks Joe :) That must have been fairly early on! car was already filthy from the horrible drive up!
No problem! Yeah it was pretty early on! Not long after I arrived which was about 9!