Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

Al what was your last pb?
And what was the spec of the car last time?

Just make sure you dont need that suit hey mate!
PB where??? Goodwood or from home to the pub. If Goodwood you can't count it. Spun at 115mph on the crest on the back straight. It was after the Ring crash. Bent front suspension, buckled shocks, brakes ********. Filled the car with grass which we were still finding months later.

As for the suit, I am sure they work. At Bedford there were three Lotus cars next to us. Two of the drivers wore race suits and they were slow, but the other chap had ordinary top and jeans on and he was hellishly slow. I think that is proof enough. So I'm off to get one. (with wheels on):uhm:

Hahaha. Yeh track time is a definate eye opener. Bedford i went past an aeriel atom,996 carrera and an m3 (plus others)
Then got done by a 205 gti!!! (Hoping very tuned)
I remember rightly this was the first trackday after the crash?
Good luck with your lap man just enjoy!!

Better keep him away from any medication or anything sharp then!

BBD loves me, and I love him. And matriarch, they're like my extended family and I can't wait to have a good catch up with Al.

A lot has happened with my life since I last stood in his kitchen and told him all the terrible things that were going on :)

Really really looking forward to this weekend, it's going to be great and I know the A3's going to run super.

Hahahahaha.
Tolerates is a better word by the looks of it!!

Fecking car.

2 days before Goodwood and the EGT probe has packed up again.

Not the end of the world, but it REALLY annoys me having something there that doesn't work. New probe ordered. Fingers crossed it'll arrive Friday

EGT probe fixed with double heat proof braiding around cable, plus some extra ali shielding to go on soon. THAT will fix it.:o.k:

Not sure to be honest Bill.

I'm using K - type thermocouples from McGill motor sports like this:

They work fine for 6 months, then fail quickly over a few minutes. From reading fine, to suddenly starting to give sporadically high readings (900's on idle) then the numbers climb until the display maxes out at 1300+ and displays 'EEEE' for error.

Occasionally it jumps back into life with a re untrue readings (800 and climbing on it's own accord with the engine off) the just maxes out again.

New sensor in and all is perfect again. Most odd.

I'm wondering if it's the wires melting where they pass close to the hotside.

Want to get a new sensor with a stainless 90deg bend taking the cable route away from the heat source like this:

Small amount of Pre Goodwood prep from last weekend:

I've had a few isntances of smoking recently on idle. Never when driving. I don't think it's any huge worry, but wanted to check things out anyway.

I removed the oil drain pipe to make sure it was fully clear. It blew through fine, but I decided to push a pipe through it just to prove it was totally clear:

I had a very slight weep noticable on the splitter over time. I had originally thought this was the drain gasket at the turbo end leaking a fraction, as we'd used a 1.8T gasket instead of a TFSI gasket, so I bought the correct one. Difference can be seen here:

It turned out to be the sump connection at the bottom of the return, so that got a new gasket as well obviously.

Whilst this was off, I took the chance to drop the Oil. A fresh 9n Polo oil filter was fitted, and I re-filled it with Comma Motorsport 5w50 oil, slightly thicker to try and prevent the smoking issues I'd had a few times:

Whilst that was draining down, I turned my attention to Toris Lupo, and gave it a quick once over, fluid checks, checked the plugs, air filter etc, and gave it a wipe down:

Good little car that, surprisingly fun for just 75bhp, I can't imagine what Bills must be like with ANOTHER 300bhp on top!

All bolted back up and everything looked pretty clean under there:

The splitter off the car, currently 9 months old and not looking TOO bad. My glue idea for the brake ducts didn't work so well, so I now just tape them to the air dam once it's all fitted. It makes removal easier too.

We also took a punt on a little GoPro style HD camera from ebay. We'll use this mounted in various locations for some aero testing (wool tell tales and film the patterns) and also as a rear facing camera for track days:

Last up was the new EGT probe:

I slid some heat resitant sheath over the end of the sensor tail, and doubled it up, in the hope that it offers some protection from the heat of the manifold:

This is where it lives, it gets pretty hot down there!

The previous 2 sensors had been soldered on, but seeing as it seems to have a habbit of eating the sensors, I decided to fit this one with bullet connectors, so it's a quick and easy swap out IF it eats another one. I'll get another sensor ordered up and keep it with me as a spare

Aside from that, I'm just waiting for Jardo to pop over to give me a hand cleaning it, and I'm all set!

Hahhaa.
Nick you cant wrap that probe wire to stop the heat killing it?

****** hell, did Nick shine a light in to the sky calling for you? :superman:

No he left a box outside which contained Jean Paul Gaultier, airwaves , baby wipes and Beconaze nasal spray. Jaardo just followed the scent!

Aren't you at the track today nick?

Sean

POWAHHHH!!!!

1907870_10152233165462124_7770573142421144380_o.jpg

Reactions: Vex182, schwartza3, bigal 1 and 1 other person
Is that Tom Cruise in the passenger seat. ??? Or is it a look alike. !!!

Reactions: Mrharris2
I think it's Tom Cruises uncle, Tom Cruise is much shorter than that guy, and not quite as cool :cool:

So, been a bit slack updating this one!

As you know we went to Goodwood at the weekend. It was a good day.

Oddly though, the driving seemed like the most insignificant part of the day. the trackday was organised by Ace Engineering, and put on specially the day before a big Northloop wedding, so almost all the entrants were Northloop members.

the atmosphere was fantastic, with everyone knowing everyone it was a great friendly place to be.

The day was sessioned, with 4 groups per hour. Which made it even more sociable as we couldn't do our usual long sessions and loads of track miles.

We were put in 'The fast group' Group 1. In our Group was a modified Nissan GTR Sprint car, a 996 GT3 CS, a 996 C4, Z3 M Coupe, an R26.R, A Clio race car, and Nige in the infamous mk2 golf.

Being sessioned, and not having time to experiment much, we headed out on slicks straight away.

The first session was a bit greasy, and took most of the 15 minutes to learn the grip levels and generate some heat in the tyres.

Second session Dad drove, and went really well. getting to grips with the car again seeing as he drives it so infrequently:

This was also the first trackday that Victoria had come to, she's not into cars at all, but seeing as it was local and such a sociable event it was great for her to come along and meet everyone :)

I posed by my car for jardo to take a pic :laugh:

Then realised I look like Captain Slow :laugh:

A few cool pics appeared from Jason on facebook:

And a load more from Rich which I'll post later when I'm home, along with some videos :)

More to add later, that's it for part 1 :racer:

Reactions: jimmcgee
So, jardo took some pics on my GoPro style ebay camera, these were set at 8mp and shrunk down loads, it also does a 12mp picture, but I didn't realise we'd be using it to take a few pics!

Parked up in the pits:

Nige's SuperGolf:

Some familiar machinery in the pits:

After Dads second session, Rich and I were chatting about his 135i (mapped, 420bhp, 500lbft) and I mentioned how much I'd love to go in it one day. To my surprise, he threw me the keys and said to take it for a spin!

:wtf: I don't need telling twice with an offer like that! What an awesome car. So much torque it's unreal. Hugely impressive. Thanks Rich!

Our session time came around again, and we headed out. The track was a bit warmer, and I felt there was much more grip on the outlap. I was half way round my outlap when Al Clark came screaming past in his gt3, so I decided that was enough tyre warming, switched to full boost, and gave chase.

For one corner :laugh:

:keule:

Not totally thinking about the ~60bhp I'd just switched on, a little too much throttle too soon out of the chicane saw the car push wide, just enough to drop 2 wheels behind the kerbs, but what wasn't apparent was the enormous crater just behind the kerbs that we fell into!

The noise was horrific, the splitter banging on the serrated kerbs and doing what sounded like all manner of horrible damage. I limped round the rest of the lap, and came in, scared I'd damaged something badly :(

To my surprise, only 1 woodscrew on the air dam had been torn away, and the brake duct trumpet had sprung loose.

A screw from Nige and some duct tape, and 5 minutes later it was all well and good again. Only, being a sessioned day, we had to wait another our until our session time again. ARgh. so frustrating!

One more session before lunch and Dad let me drive to try and get back into it asap. The car felt good, although I didn't feel I was totally up to pace, it was smoking a bit (to be investigated), and I had issues shutting my drivers door thanks to a faulty latch that reared it's head on Saturday morning as we tried to leave! Nothing major, but I think a combination of small things, as well an apprehension about Goodwood following a troublesome first visit 2 years ago, had stopped me from going quite as well as I'd hoped to.

Lunch was good, lots of chatting and looking around all the other cars, catching up with friends, and intorucing Victoria to more people.

Dad drove the first session after lunch, and was going really well. He seemed to be getting into it really nicely and was learning the lines. Goodwood is a very fast circuit, and takes huge commitment for a quick lap, something I felt I never quite cracked on Saturday.

I went out for a session with Nige, in front and behind swapping places. It was great fun, and the cars are in theory very evenly matched, but on the day Nige definitely had a better handle on the track, and the quicker pace over a lap.

Here is a rear facing video from that session, filmed on my ebay camera. The sound quality is poor, because I had it in the water proof case. I hadn't realised these kill sound quality so much, so will be running it in the open case when using it in car next.

After that session, I had a good long chat with Nige and Tom (Smudger), and we all agreed I'd been braking too early, and not hard enough. This is pretty unusual for me, as braking is usually one of my stronger points, but for whatever reason, it just wasn't happening on Saturday and I couldn't string together a good lap.

I went out with their comments in mind, and Dad instantly commented that I was braking MUCH harder.

With the harder braking came increased confidence, and with that came later braking, and the laps got faster and faster, and the car started to feel really good.

Sadly, after 3 laps going fairly well, the Speedo suddenly dropped off without warning. The fuel gauge started going crazy, and I developed a top end missfire above about 6k.

All very odd!

We cruised around for another lap, slowly, and aside from the speedo, the engine felt fine. I opened it up once more, only to find as I reached the first corner there was a noticable lack of grip and something felt quite unstable.

We decided to call it quits, and instantly headed back into the pits.

It soon became apparent what was wrong!

4 or 5 trackdays on that set I think, around 700 track miles, so I think they've done REALLY well. That explains the instability and lack of front end grip on my last lap, althought it looked fine before we went out, so it's definitely worth checking these things EVERY single session.

As for the speedo / fuel gauge / missfire, I found when I popped the bonnet that the speed sensor plug had gone brittle and spanned off!

I bodged the plug back on over the broken sensor terminals, and everything was fine again, steady fuel gauge, working speedo, and no missfire!

So, some sort of summary? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. a tough one.

If I'm honest, I'm a little dissappointed in myself. I thought I'd be faster, and I wasn't.

Something just doesn't quite click for me at Goodwood, and it's a most unusual feeling! I just never quite felt like I was really going as well as I should be. not BADLY, just not quite where I expected to be. In the last session I was braking MUCH later, and feeling 10x more on it, but it was sadly ended early.

The Ace Engineering days at Goodwood are fantastic, and great value for Goodwood, but sharing the car on the sessioned days just doesn't get either of us enough seat time to make it worth while, and doing trackdays without Dad isn't an option. This is OUR thing, not mine. We do it all together :)

Still a cracking day, just the highlight for us was the social side of it, seeing friends, chatting to new people, rather than the usual highlight which is the driving.

I've got one or two things to address on the car, and a smoke issue to investigate, but hopefully it should all be 100% before Curborough in early september

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Vex182, Jay A3, craigt1985 and 1 other person
Nice write up Nick. Those eBay "GoPro" jobbies are turned out pretty good, how much were they? If you don't mind me asking.

Also, any more details on that 135i, mod wise? My E92 could do with some more poke :sly:

I've got a 'gopro' style camera that I got from Aldi. It was £40 and is on a £4 ebay suction mount.
Picture quality is every bit as good as a gopro but it has a lot less functionality, and can only be mounted in its waterproof case which completely kills the sound on it.

I quite like that though, coz all you hear is me blethering round the track :whistle2:

Nice write up Nick. Those eBay "GoPro" jobbies are turned out pretty good, how much were they? If you don't mind me asking.

Also, any more details on that 135i, mod wise? My E92 could do with some more poke :sly:

I'm sure with will be along to confirm shortly (he still reads ASN I believe), but I believe it had an FMIC, cat back exhaust, and a remap. Dynos around 420bhp / 500lbft, feels mega impressive. Love the 6 pot noise!

I've got a 'gopro' style camera that I got from Aldi. It was £40 and is on a £4 ebay suction mount.
Picture quality is every bit as good as a gopro but it has a lot less functionality, and can only be mounted in its waterproof case which completely kills the sound on it.

I quite like that though, coz all you hear is me blethering round the track :whistle2:

that's what drew me to this one Garry, the functionality is amazing, so many features, as well as a preview screen, can do 60fps, about 20 different mounts all included, it was really good value for money:

SC16 Full HD Action Sports Camcorder Camera Cam SJ4000 +2x Battery +USB Charger | eBay

great update nick.
seems you had a very busy day even though it was sessions.
get those vids up fella!!
car looks and sounds incredible mate.

I'm sure with will be along to confirm shortly (he still reads ASN I believe), but I believe it had an FMIC, cat back exhaust, and a remap. Dynos around 420bhp / 500lbft, feels mega impressive. Love the 6 pot noise!

Still about on here to read the epic build threads.

Engine wise Nick has it pretty much nailed like he did the trottle :racer:

Car is running wagner FMIC
Forge Recirc Valves for throttle modulcation response.
N55 mid pipe, these are catless
BMW performance exhaust and Y pipe.
The car is mapped using a cobb access port and then live road mapped with Proformance tuning freaks

DSC_3717_zpsbeeb97cd.jpg

DSC_3715_zpsd99ffdb0.jpg

DSC_3687_zpsba8d55e9.jpg

As always nice to see you Nick and finally meet Jarrod. Still cannot belive your other half has never been to a track day with you.

Reactions: Lewis583 and 16Klappe
Thanks for the drive Rich, I really enjoyed it :)

So, just 3 weeks to go until the next Curborough Sprint.

I've seen pictures of this before, but didn't find the mag anywhere and didn't get round to ordering it.

Last weekend, Dad bought up a copy of Julys VW Driver magazine, which featured a little write up from the last Sprint.

Odd feeling seeing a picture of yourself in print!

Reactions: Lavis89 and bigal 1
Finally read this thing start to Finnish!.. Its taken about a month! (I do have a life and a job to fit in where I can ;))

I used to have a pretty well specced S1 106 to use as a track car so I can really understand the work involved here! How do you find the new diff as opposed to the Quaife? I loved my Quaife diff but think id opt for a 'propper' Plated Diff next time.

Thought about doing and seam (stitch) welding to the chassis? it makes a big difference! but if you bend it you cant jig it straight again! so not to everyones taste.

Big Props to both you and Al for the car and driving!

Personally i wont be going all out as the costs soon mount up and I don't think id want to take it that far again, but might do the odd track day!.. Im local to curborough too so give me a shout when your next going and head up with my brother and his camera! be good to have a propper look at the car!