1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prawn and BigAls A3 Track Car

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Prawn, Dec 29, 2010.

1. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Active Member

Just spray the gaffer tape. Pro job
  2. bigal 1

bigal 1 Member

I totally agree, I must take it more seriously. A discarded sweater that Nicholas had, an old shirt worth about 50p, jeans from sainsbury's (£15) and some old leather shoes I bought some 10 years ago and now wear around the house because they are so comfortable. My mission next week is to source and OMP fireproof suit so that I can improve my driving abilities. Oh and I forgot; I MUST have my name on the suit. (Small on the front and Big on the back).
    Rainbird likes this.
  3. jimmcgee

jimmcgee Member

can you go to the motor bike shop and get one of those [FONT=arial, sans-serif]mohicans you see the bikers wearing on there helmets [/FONT] :w00t:.
  4. bigal 1

bigal 1 Member

Brill, I'll keep that in mind. It's good fun isn't it.

Unless you drive a LOTUS. (lots of trouble, usually serious)
    jimmcgee likes this.
  5. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Active Member

Do you see a lot of lotus having problems on the day guys? Seeing you have both used that phrase now? Just out of interest?
  6. badger5

badger5 RIP S3dave Site Sponsor

do you see Any lotus on the roads at all these days?
  7. Prawn

Prawn My other car is a MINI!!!!

Dad just likes bullying them it seems :laugh:

Apart from the odd elise, you never really see a lotus on the road at all these days. There seem to be at least 2 Exiges on every trackday we've ever been to though! oddly enough, they often seem to have issues too and spend half the day in the pits being worked on!

More often than not they're bought by people with more money than talent, so everyone expects them to be quick, and they're often not. I'd love to see one driven properly though!
  8. vroomtshh

vroomtshh Member

Theres a place up here runs a 600+bhp Exige with a turbo'd K20. Does time attack and the likes.

It's not shy :laugh:
  9. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Active Member

Ok fair point!!
  10. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Active Member

I to have far more money than talent. Which i wouldnt mind at all if i wasnt skint!! Hahaha
    Prawn, CHEZ, Lavis89 and 1 other person like this.
  11. bigal 1

bigal 1 Member

That's great, always exceptions to every rule. Not a standard lotus though.
  12. vroomtshh

vroomtshh Member

Yeh its less of a lotus, more of a roll cage with a lotus bodyshell attached these days
  13. bigal 1

bigal 1 Member

You are right Bill,at Bedford they were hardly on the road. They were normally up on jacks.
  14. bigal 1

bigal 1 Member

I must say that a couple of years ago Nicholas had a pax lap around the ring in an Elise with a 1.8 t pushing out a fair amount of BHP (I forget how many) and he said the guy could drive and the car was incredible. ( it had to have a 1.8t didn't it):rolleyes:
  15. Prawn

that was an S1 Elise with a BAM 225 lump in it, Mind blowingly fast and driven seriously well!
  16. bigal 1

bigal 1 Member

On the CV boot front; if the vent pipes prove to be too big, and the grease comes out, then they will be replaced with a small plastic tube. Probably from a WD 40 can or similar, just like the BTCC boys do.
  17. bigal 1

bigal 1 Member

The venting of the CV boot is all down to Robin. That's Robin J, Not the local shopkeeper, Robin bast--d. Lets see what happens. It's amazing how something else is learn't every week. You can't buy experience.:yum:
  18. Prawn

Today I fitted an inline fuel pump, in the hope of sorting out my lean condition on full boost. Whilst the intank pump is more than capable of the flow, it seems the added stress of a 4 bar fpr had pushed it to it's limit and it wasn't keeping rail pressure high enough on full boost. Yet another reason why we all advise against a 4 bar FPR, they're just not cool!

Here's all the kit I got together to start the install:

[​IMG]

I found this pic on google images, drawn by our own HTC (Kev) many years ago! Was most handy for an electrical simpleton like me! [​IMG]

I backed the car up on the ramps to gain access to the fuel filter area, where I planned to install the pump:

[​IMG]

Started off with some simple wiring up a relay:

[​IMG]

In-line fuse holder added:

[​IMG]

Relay mounted to an existing hole, tucked away from the load area so it shouldn't get knocked at all:

[​IMG]

To trigger the relay, I spliced into the OE pump 12v feed:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used petroleum jelly on all the crimped joints, just to ensure a really good contact:

[​IMG]

I used one of the cage leg bolts as a good secure earthing point, scraped all the paint away, and coated it in petroleum jelly again to ensure a good contact:

[​IMG]

I then ran the wires down through 2 ideally placed gromits, to the underside of the car.

That's the wiring inside finished:

[​IMG]

The 044 type pump has threaded ends like this:

[​IMG]

Thankfully, Bill makes some really handy fittings which replicate the end of the OEM fuel filter, so the pump can be installed using the stock fuel lines and clips:

[​IMG]

Fittings on:

[​IMG]

Lots of people find these pumps really noisey, and I wanted to avoid that, so I dug through my box of old silicon, and found a 63mm pipe was almost the ideal size to wrap around the pump. I cut a slot in it and took 5mm out of the gap so it'd close up tight:

[​IMG]

Then it was just a case of sliding the pump into place and connecting the terminals. The pump secures in the OE way using the OE fuel filter bracket:

[​IMG]

And finally, as the fuel filter has now gone from it's stock location, a new filter needs to be added.

You can put the stock filter in the engine bay, but it's bloody huge, so I've used an Ibiza cupra filter on Bills recommendation, spliced into the feed line to the fuel rail:

[​IMG]

And job finished!

[​IMG]

Back on the ground, ignition on, nothing from the pump :(

D'oh!

Checked the relay was clicking, checked all the wiring, still nothing.

Oh wait, I wonder if the inline fuse holder comes with a fuse already fitted?

ohps! haha.

fuse fitted, and it jumped into life :)

It's audible, but nowhere near as loud as some I've heard, you can just about hear it on tickover, and once moving, you wouldn't hear it at all.

AFR's are now rock solid, and if anything, slightly too rich! I think I'll have to get some boost dialled in at the top end to make use of all the fuel available :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
    <tuffty/> and bigal 1 like this.
  19. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Active Member

So all sorted? Driving fine on full boost??
    car looks great!
  20. g60leigh

g60leigh Active Member

Is there a reason why not fit the fuel pump in the engine bay? Save messing around with the existing filter?
  21. Prawn

I think it's due to the size / ease of mounting / ease of wiring / noise mainly Leigh.

These pumps are noisey things, and hidden down under the car they seem to be heard the least. they're also pretty heavy and would need a decent mount under the engine bay.

Keeping it at the back also locates it nice and close to the power feed / trigger, and in my case, the battery also.

It's a really neat system using the OE style fittings, as it looks stock underneath and you don't have to mess with the fuel lines under the car.

I guess it also takes some work away from the intank pump not having to pump far at all.
    g60leigh likes this.
  22. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I need to get this done I think. But I fancy an 040 clone to use as drop in. Glad it's fixed the fueling mate.
  23. Vex182

Vex182 Guess what I drive...

I guess the inline fuse holder was from Halfords? I hear people saying before about it not coming with a fuse lol.
  24. StaceyS3

StaceyS3 Active Member

Also fitting it that way round you still get filtration after the pump should the pump start to fail, some reconmend you should have 2 filters one after each pump but is a bit excessive :)

Top work mate, is constantly evolving, should hopefully give you some more useable power up top ;)
  25. Prawn

Cheers mate :) I'd get bored if we wern't constantly changing it :laugh:

It was heart breaking at Bedford not being able to open the taps fully, such a big power circuit, and we just couldn't risk it.

Now safe as anything on full chat, so ready for full boost on track again :)
    StaceyS3 likes this.
  26. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Active Member

So whens the next track day for you guys?
  27. MIGGZ

MIGGZ nanananananananan BATMAN

Top work dude!

Strange about the 4bar FPR causing to much strain on the pump, the REVO guys down here won't map the stage 2 file unless you have one, the other tuning companies don't use it
  28. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Active Member

4bar with much bigger injectors on prawns car will surely mean its flowing much more fuel, so surely it was struggling with flow rather than pressure? Or pressure at that flow rate? My brain hurts!
  29. MIGGZ

MIGGZ nanananananananan BATMAN

Lmao!!!!
  30. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The fuel pump has to work harder to provide the same flow at the higher pressure. 4 bar on the revo is pointless unless the car has a new fuel pump in. Most std cars would struggle to provide 4 bar to the red line and fuel better on the 3 bar as it can maintain the pressure .
  31. Prawn

Pressure is the issue here. The pump will flow the fuel required, but not at the extra pressure requirement of the 4 bar, so fuelling lags behind boost on full power and the car runs lean.
    On a 3 bar reg, the Intank will keep up with much bigger injectors and more power, but I'm forced to run a 4 bar at the mo as my injectors are on small side for the output!

Not sure on the next trackday yet. We'll be doing Bedford again in June with Northloop. Maybe something else before then, we'll see :)
  32. Nick_sheep

Nick_sheep All The Gears But No Ideas

Is your in tank pump 4 bar then?
  33. limbo118118

limbo118118 LORD

Awesome post about the inline pump! I was finding it hard to find a clear and simple thread for fitting one of these! Maybe worth adding in the how to area? :s fitting my da31 next weekend now :p
  34. Prawn

Just a quick pic I forgot to post yesterday, I'll edit and add this into the fuel pump post too so it can be found in future when searching.

I found this pic on google images, drawn by our own HTC (Kev) many years ago!

Was most handy for an electrical simpleton like me!

[​IMG]

My local friendly controversial car salesman / S3 slayer came over today, and helped me wash half the Sahara desert off the car:

[​IMG]

In return we went for a hoon, then chatted rubbish for a few hours and drank tea. was good.

EGT's on the road are massively improved now that the fuelling is back in check.

last high boost run with lean condition I was able to hit 916 degrees after a short thrash, today, after an extended blast it peaked at just 810, so it's good to know everything has come back into line :)
    g60leigh likes this.
  35. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Active Member

What car has the slayer got? Saw he was looking at mini's on northloop.
  36. daz-20vt

daz-20vt Active Member

Also good to hear the cars back to as it was. 810 sounds a lot better than 916. Lol
  37. Prawn

Daz, did you somehow manage to miss the whirlwind that was Jardo and the infamous S3 slayer?

You havnt lived man!!
  38. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

He has a TeeDeeEye! :Flush:

And M3's and Scooby doo's and Porsches and RX7s and..... The list is endless.
    Prawn likes this.
  39. badger5

badger5 RIP S3dave Site Sponsor

checking full alternator voltage is being sent to pump is also ciritical... lower voltage lower fuel delivery
    Prawn likes this.
  40. Prawn

Very true! :iagree:

A little over 14V at the OE pump on mine, same measured at the battery whilst running, and of course subsequently the feed to the new pump direct from battery