Powermax balance shaft replacement

tuffy

Reaction score
Hi guys
Had a conversation with Dean at powermax this morning regarding replacing the balance shaft in the BLD 2.0tdi im looking at buying.
Ive been weighing up is prevention better than cure, and the cost of the upgrade on top of the purchase price of the car needs to be considered
Dean was very helpful full of good advice.
He also mentioned as this model is the gear driven oil pump, to replace the balance shaft and hex is just a matter of dropping the sump and replacing the unit.. Is this correct??
Has anyone done this or had it done to their 2.0tdi????

Last edited:
I used them when I wanted my BLB converting from chain to gear. They striped down the unit, converted what they had to so it would accept the new gears and checked the hex drive. They were very honest and said the the drive in the balancer shafts was the best condition they had ever seen given the mileage and just replaced the hex key with the new longer version.

Not many people would have said that and carried on and replaced the hex drive, which is why I would recommend that you send it to them. Turn around was reasonable too, from me sending it to them to being back at the garage was just under a week and that included a weekend as well.

Sorry guys. but could some knowlegable person quickly confirm if the balance shaft/hex can be replaced by just dropping the sump
Would really help to know before i put a offer in on the car
Thanks

Sorry missed the question, if its already gear driven then yes it's as easy as sump off, unit off, send it to them to do what they need to do, bolt back on, set up backlash on gears, sump on. It's maybe worth buying a new idle gear off them or audi as that's the one used to set up the backlash, it has a coating that wears off giving the right setting, at least then you will know 100% it right.