1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powered Antennas

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by FactionOne, May 26, 2004.

1. FactionOne

FactionOne Administrator
    Staff Member Administrator

Hi folks,

I'm just wondering if anyone can offer up any information regarding the way radio antennas are fitted to A3s...

Because Audis are so damn good, and their windscreen-wipers are no exception to this, I'm unable to mount the glassmount DAB antenna which came with my DAB-54 (unless I put it in a corner (which is not really an option), because they sweep so far up the centre of the screen.

This has turned out to be a bit of a blessing in disguise, becuase it's pushed me towards pgrading the antenna to the roof-mount combined AM/FM/DAB antenna which is available from Blaupunkt - this is I suppose going to be better in the long run because it not only fits properly, but will help keep my A3's looks unspoiled (by having one antenna in the factory location, which looks almost identical to the OE part) - also it'll give better reception, because it's an active antenna...

I've seen a lot of talk on Forums on various sites about people having active antennas in their A3s from the factory, and having to get all manner of bits and bobs to use them properly on aftermarket head units.

I can't find anything but a standard antenna plug coming into the centre console of my A3, which didn't pose a problem up to now...

I'm going to replace the Audi AM/FM antenna, and run a fresh SMB cable for DAB. The new antenna is amplified though, and requires power... But I'm wondering if anyone knows how likely it is that I'll find power going to my existing antenna, and if so, how likely it is that its connection will be compatible with the new one.

Any clues to what feeds/connectors for power/signal I'm liable to find under the Audi OE antenna would be really really really gratefully received :)

Many thanks again for all your help guys,

Rob.

PS. Here's a picture of the female power-in block on the bottom of my new antenna for your reference (apologies for the low quality, had to take it on my fone!)

[​IMG]

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

The OEM antenna is powered but down the core of the antenna cable, thus the need for an adapter if fitting aftermarket HU's. You just need to power your new aerial the old traditional, uncomplicated way, i.e. off the power antenna out on the head unit. Have a look at the circuit diagram on the top of your HU and find the pin on the ISO power block for either remote on or power antenna. It's usually next to the permanent live as shown below.