1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power stering 'kicks back' low speeds or stationary

Discussion in 'A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)' started by billybaggins, Mar 26, 2013.

1. billybaggins

billybaggins New Member

[Mar 26, 2013]
    This is a strange problem with my steering. First noticed it going round a round-about at constant speed with steering wheel in same position and i felt the wheel get light then heavy then light again etc...

Then parking at work this morning i had to wait for someone to park on front of me and i held the steering to the left in about the 10 o'clock position and the only way i can describe it is as kicking back in your hand. If while holding it at 10 oclock angle and i move it the the left even a few mm its light then goes heavy and kicks back at me as though trying to straighten up again.

Any ideas?

Its a 1998 avant tdi. I have checked the controls arms etc and theres a slight bit of play in my right upper arms but its minimal and causes no clunks or knocks. I know this can cause a wobbly loose steering feeling but can't see how it would make the ps kick, so must be another issue.

Cheers
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 22, 2014]

3. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Mar 26, 2013]
    check the fluid level?
  4. billybaggins

billybaggins New Member

[Mar 26, 2013]
    Suppose that's a good start.... ill check after work and post back. I was thinking something serious before checking the small things. Thanks man
  5. NineNails

NineNails Proud sponsor of the snack food industry

[Mar 26, 2013]
    Belt could be slipping?
  6. billybaggins

billybaggins New Member

[Mar 27, 2013]
    It's not the fluid anyway its dead on the max mark. Any ideas how i can check the belt etc or is it a job for the mechanic? cheers