Power Steering the Dreaded Rack

THE MONSTER

Reaction score
Hi Guys,I recently posted a thread regarding Power Steering Fluid loss and kept topping the reservoir up.well I done all the usual suspects like hoses and the pump had no visible signs of leaks..and then I got to the Dreaded Rack and I'm quite sure that it looks like it is leaking at both Gaiters,both sides had fluid on them...the worse was I think confirmed..It is of course a replacement part and Audi would be silly money to exchange with them..anyway I contacted GSF and they quoted £151+vat and a deposit is needed till you take your old one back to them..I think it is the seals obviously that go inside and is not a DIY thing..I don't really think this price would be beat especially with a well known dealer..can anyone point me in the right direction of replacing the Rack as DIY job or possibly someone as got a link to someone having done it themselves before..any info would help..thanks in advance guys...I would also like to say the car as only done 90,000 miles do you think this is ok for this mileage plus I hardly use it..

Last edited:
I would say its a engine out job ! I have heard of it getting done with the engine on but, i never got enough clearance to turn wrenches with the engine in situ !

What car is it?

I have done a 1.9tdi and a 1.8t engine in place. Its messy but doable. If you are not well clued up i would give yourself a day to do it.

There are only 3 little bolts that bolt in the rack itself, but one of them is only accessable from underneath the car,and above the turbo/exhaust. The fluid hoses need to come off and the crush washers are a apin to get back in, you WILL get covered in fluid...

I hope it's not a V6 - near impossicant to replace the rack with the engine in situ.

Hi,Sorry I forgot to say it's a 1997 A4 1.8t which I hardly use it's a fine weather Sunday car that's what makes it so annoying I never use it.. I did see a thread somewhere with a American guy replacing the Rack and he said you need these 3 special sockets, looks like they had bendy knuckles on them but he said it was quite straight forward and gave pics and everything but I can't find the link now..

Last edited:
Hi,Does anyone have a problem with buying the Rack from GSF..I suppose they are all recons anyway...

my only worry would be that sport models have a quicker rack than the normal cars, and i wouldnt want to end up with a longer ratio one.

Hi,Now you have confused me even more now I told the guy at GSF everything and they take it from your reg I think so I suppose it would be the Sports one surly..How do you check if it's the right one,is it visible to see any differance..

i've never managed to work out exactly what the difference is.

The part numbers in vagcat dont seem to suggest any difference, but i've heard it time and time again that sport models have a quicker steering rack.

Count how many turns your car has from lock to lock?

Well i THINK ours is 2.9 turns.

I guess if we were to compare it with a non-sport model we might see if theres actually a difference?

right,but if I contact the parts guy at Audi and ask him if there is any difference or he would tell me the part number surly that would be the right one..that would be the one they would put in..

Well as i say, looking at the parts catalog suggests there is no difference.

So that means they just give everyone the same replacement rack, or that they are infact all the same.

well I need another Rack for sure so even if Audi were to do it they would put me a A4 Rack in then if the numbers are the same..you have got me worried now that there maybe is a sports one...excuse my ignorance again but 2.9 turns, what exactly is 2.9 I guess 2 is 2 complete turns what is .9 .1 less than another turn..

Difference is 2,9 vs 3,2 turns lock-to-lock.

i did mine earlyer on this year (i to have a 1.8t) and it wasnt that bad a job to be fair, took about 4 hours if i remember correctly (with ample tea brakes) but it is a two man job definatly

yes 2.9 turns means that from full right lock, you will be able to turn the wheel 2 complete revolutions plus 90% of the third revolution before hitting the left lock stop.

messy horrible job, when i did it i put a used rack from a 99 1.8na into a 97 1.8t i measured the distance between the teeth and they where the same which goes against the sport rack theory?
i take it exchange racks dont come with track rod ends so that would make it harder aswell
i cant remember needing the bendy adapters might just be lhd but heres the guide

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc-40.shtml

Having driven both, i wouldn't worry about it. I can't say i jumped into the SPORT and thought WOW a quick rack!!

It's only a 3rd of a turn, i expect they only bother making the one now due to such a small difference

I keep looking for a leak in the system like on the pump they say the front of it leaks, no sign there..checked the hoses they look ok and that takes me to the Rack the passenger side gaitor when you look up from the floor looks quite wet possibly fluid but really you can't smell it...really was hoping to find something how can you be 100% sure it's the Rack the expense needed as to really justify doing the job and paying for the Rack.I phoned GSF again this time they quoted me £176+vat not £151+vat like the other day saying they must have miss quoted me last time...

I hope it's not a V6 - near impossicant to replace the rack with the engine in situ.

Really? Is there a slight chance that someone would be able to do it without taking the engine out? Im probably gonna need to replace mine soon and unfortunately I do have the 2.5 TDI V6, its prob the only time ive regreted buying it lol!! Also can anyone give me a rough cost to do it.... :unsure:

Cheers

JC