Power Steering Pump

Geoff-R

Reaction score
Hi guys, I kind of skipped the introduction but I'm in serious need of some help. Firstly it's good to know there's such a good forum with a wealth of knowledge! But my search didn't return the results I was looking for. I have an 03 A3 TDi Quattro - it's a great car and does the job I got it for very well, commuting to work.

It recently developed a slight noise in the steering but due to being so busy I didn't have the time to look at it. Anyway at the start of the week the PS pump started to make a slight noise, I got it home, checked the level and it seemed down so I topped it up a little but I think it had gone too far. The PS pump was ****** and I traced a leak to the nearside of the steering rack. I've got a rack on order but I'm lead to believe the PS pump is main dealer only and I don't really fancy spending a huge wedge on that so would rather get it from an A3 being broken.

I just need to know, will the PS pump from a standard FWD 1.9 TDi fit my Quattro? Thanks :)

Theres a company called acs I'm sure the do the pumps aswell but ain't 100% sure.
Have you tried eBay worth alook

Cheers for the reply mate. I've checked eBay, there seem to be quite a few normal TDI pumps (FWD) but not so many Quattro pumps so just really need to be sure if the FWD pumps work on Quattros or not.

Yeah I fault they mite that should work fine then.
Is your steering pump defo had it because when I'm steering rack was leaking I had no power steering at all

I can't say for sure mate. The pump made a noise, I topped it up, it made a noise for a bit and then completely stopped, once it stopped the steering completely went. Is there any way to test the pump short of replacing the rack (it needs replacing regardless, as its leaking).

I don't no mate to be fair mine just stoped working due to my steering rack leak.
When it was repaired everything was fine, I ain't got a clue how to test the pump is the power steering fluid at the right level when it stoped working

The level was below minimum which makes me think its ****** the pump. I'm going to replace the rack and see if it solves the problem first like you did.

Just for reference replaced the steering rack with a new one, took the old one off and it was evident a seal had blown around the nearside tie rod, it dropped it's fluid everywhere. Not a job I wish to do again in a hurry but the steering is 100% better, my daily drive lives on to fight another day. Now I just have the knocking from the front to contend with now :yes:

I got a leak in my pump, is it easy to swap out? I don't mind getting my hands dirty... for a replacement do I need to get a s3 quattro specific or can I just get one from an a3 8l?

I didn't change the pump in mine mate, just my rack but the pump should be a far easier job than the rack. Get under the car and you should see it's quite straight forward. I think there is a difference between the pumps due to mountings on the block but someone else should be able to confirm this for you, best bet is to check a motorfactors or the stealers.