1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

power steering issues

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by drfeelgood, Jun 28, 2011.

1. drfeelgood

drfeelgood Member

Hi Guys, been having a slight problem in that my steering is becoming stiffer and stiffer. Not really noticeable on winding bends, but when I have to make several standard sharp or moderate turns and its like trying to turn a bus. I kid you not i feel like im driving a bus rather then a nimble little beast. I drove my freinds a3, 2 years older and 120k on the clock. Had the 16 inch turbo alloys, and boy did it feel a millions times better. Is this a sign my power steering is on the way out, or is my fluid getting low?
  2. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Does it make a groaning noise as you go from lock to lock? that would suggest the fluid level is low... alternatively it maybe worth changing the fluid... its not particularly difficult from what I understand... 'just' need to drain out the old fluid and then top up the reservoir with new fluid turning the steering from lock to lock with the engine running to bleed the system... Pretty sure you need to use mineral fluid rather than the red stuff used in auto boxes etc...

The steering on S3's is fairly stiff anyway... no where near as light as some other cars plus it has a quick rack so this will make it feel stiffer too...

<tuffty/>
  3. drfeelgood

drfeelgood Member

Yeah when on full lock to full lock it groans like a swine. I thought this was normal from what i read in the manual. Its going in for a service in under 2 weeks time
  4. <tuffty/>

<tuffty/> Badger 5 Edition Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like low fluid then :)

Prob a bit notchy too...

<tuffty/>
  5. drfeelgood

drfeelgood Member

well checked the fluid, very clear and almost to the max. So I'am outta ideas. Sometimes the powersteering feels fine, others it feels stiff. hmm