Power steering failure

mistermoo

Reaction score
Turns out i've got some major leakage going on. Due to no garage and lousy weather not had a good look underneath.
Is the pump on the drivers side by the inside of the front wheel?
Whatever is there looks as though its leaking said fluid.
Is it likely to be a failed pump or what else might it be, is it a common fault in time?

Thanks

Dont think its a common fault .Afraid you will just have clean everything in that area and see.If the steering seems normal perhaps the pump is OK

Reactions: mistermoo
Turns out i've got some major leakage going on. Due to no garage and lousy weather not had a good look underneath.
Is the pump on the drivers side by the inside of the front wheel?
Whatever is there looks as though its leaking said fluid.
Is it likely to be a failed pump or what else might it be, is it a common fault in time?

Thanks
Depending on your engine etc, but on most the pump is above the alternator. The same belt runs around them and the air con compressor. So passenger side right at the front of the engine. Follow the pipe from the reservoir.

Hopefully find out tomorrow, booked in at local garage for diagnosis. Fingers crossed its not expensive.

Looks like its a new steering rack that's required, apparently the current one is leaking at both ends........

Try a place called driveshafts uk - I've used them a load of times - got a price for a recon (with old rack return) rack for 150 for my a4 1.8t BEX

Thank you, Its the labour that's also bothering me as it sounds a right job and a half!?!?

Thanks Laurie Piper, got a reasonable quote back from them.
Question out to all, is there a reputable able body that could do this work for me, unfortunately I am on a budget but obviously I can't use my car until the work is done.

You're welcome mister moo - can't help you find a garage but shouldn't be too pricey