1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power stearing fluid (s3)

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by barters3, May 22, 2008.

1. barters3

barters3 Member

I have just checked my power steering fluid level and it is low. Can anyone recomend which fluid i should put in to top it up, or do i just get a generic fluid??
    Also when topping it up do i just put it in the top of the resevoir (green cap) bit by bit and bleed it through by turing the steering wheel side to side?
    I would be grateful if someby could help, thanks.

2. golf

golf ***** rent boy
    VCDS Map User

Steering fluid level should not change really, as it's a sealed system. Brand of fluid isn't really that important but I get Slick50 which seemed to do the trick.

Just pour the fluid straight in, and turn the wheel a few times, you'll see the fluid level decreasing, just keep topping it up until it's at the max and doesn't change if you turn the wheel.

3. barters3

barters3 Member

Thanks mate, il pick some up tommorow.

4. ash_s3

ash_s3 Active Member

You need to make sure its the proper audi/vw spec stuff though, it has to be green in colour, dont put anything else in or it can do damage

5. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yes only use genuine VAG mineral oil, about £8 from Skoda/VW dealer, definately not any generic high street stuff.

6. HTC

HTC Active Member

And don't fill it to the top of the reservoir. There is a level indicator on the lid/stick. Fill it to just over min when cold. The level rises when the engine etc warms up.

If you are losing fluid, check for leaks at the rack ends.