Power Loss issues (VCDS Error inside)

Nilz

Defo worth the wait :)
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an ongoing issue with my lambda sensor which meant my EML was on, but im getting that sorted by replacing the sensor soon, however, I noticed that the car was feeling like it was misfiring a little when under load, so I did a scan on the car and it came up with a different error code this time.

16395/P0011/000017 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): ****** Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)

I have been on Ross Tech Wiki and it shows the below, but im not too sure on what it means.:

Possible Symptoms

Power Loss

Possible Causes

Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205) faulty
Fuel Pump Relay (J17) faulty
Mechanical Timing not correct, including Chain and/or Belt timing.

Possible Solutions

Check Camshaft Adjustment Valve 1 (N205)
Check Fuel Pump Relay (J17)
Check Mechanical Timing

Can anyone advise on what the issue could be and if this is what is causing the missing issue

Thanks in advance
Nilz

Belt was done about 20k ago Dave.

With the chain tensioner, what am i looking for?

Also whats the N205, as I cant find much info on this at all!!

OK for some strange reason after doing a scan last night, the lambda sensor fault has now disappeared, i have had it for months and the EML light has gone off as well since clearing it.

Previously when clearing it, it literally came back straight away all the time, but last night it didnt and after a long drive this morning the EML has still stayed off.

The car does still feel like its missing a bit though on load when flooring it and feels 'heavy' as if its struggling to put the power down, although it does put the power down.....im hoping this maybe related to the sticky handbrake issue and once the springs are fitted, they may release the brakes fully which will not make the car feel as heavy - does that sound right?

I will do another scan again tonight and see if the above error code comes back and will report back.

Thanks for the responses so far guys :)

Nilz

OK so I spoke too soon, just went out at lunchtime to get the springs for my brakes and the EML has come back on.

A scan later will reveal all :)

sounds like the vvt is acting up.

the vvt is fed oil pressure thru a passageway in the head, the solenoid directs the oil pressure to one side of the chain or the other, to effectivly lengthen or shorten one side of the chain or the other, to advance or ****** the inlet cam.
the ecu keeps an eye on how effective this is via the inlet cam position sensor on the cambelt end of the head.

this fault means the ecu isnt seeing the range of advance/****** it should do in given operating conditions.

its not a belt timing issue........ if you get the belt out even a tooth and start it, it does run but wont rev above about 3000revs and within seconds the engine light comes on and you get a "cam/crank incorrect assignment" or similar fault. i know this!

Right I have just been out and scanned the car as the EML came back on again and luckily the above error has not come back, the only one that I have at the mo is the one about the lambda sensor, which I have got today, so will hopefully replace in the next few days.

Good luck nilz, hope its just the lambda. thought i saw you the other day at a shell but that s3 had a fmic.

Nice one dude,ive sent you a pm.....i know that other s3,ive seen it around the area a fair bit as well.

Same here Rav, just want my baby back :( LOL

what lambda fault code have you got? if its just a heater open circ fault then thats not causing the running fault.

Another update, I put the springs on last night, handbrake didnt stick this morning, but it wasnt too cold either, so not sure if it has done the trick.

Still getting the heavy feel, but im yet to change the Lambda, which should hopefully get done tomorrow.

OK I changed the lambda sensor and cleared the fault and its all good so far..

However, I am still getting a slight misfire, I had a visual check, but couldnt find any leaks or anything and im not getting any more fault codes coming up.

Any ideas?

OK I changed the lambda sensor and cleared the fault and its all good so far..

However, I am still getting a slight misfire, I had a visual check, but couldnt find any leaks or anything and im not getting any more fault codes coming up.

Any ideas?

Give the crank sensor a clean if that dont cure it borrow one from someone elses engine to trial and error test.

Steve, it was the other one, the one attached to the cat, we changed the one in the engine bay.

Thanks for that Nick, crank sensor - (Dave - where is it?? LOL)

It actually feels like when the coil pack is on its way, but not as severe....its a bit of a wierd one, but without any codes or a clue to what is causing the prob, im a bit stumped (even more so with my vast - i mean lack of knowledge of mechanics!!)

Im hoping its not the coils, as it has been in for the recall and had a couple changed as well, they said the others were ok.

Anymore ideas??

Oh it also feels like it could be a boost leak, but im not sure how to check any further.

Its not really visible but you can feel it near the bottom of the engine at the front, it really is well hidden and a ****** to get out , the best way to find it is to follow the wire from under the manifold and follow it down...

That sounds like a fun job!!

Once I have it, what needs to be done, oh and any other ideas of what it could be?

Would a boost leak show up on a scan with VCDS?