1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POWER GASKET... ANYONE

ooooaudi Dec 2, 2003

1. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

TRYED ONE OF THESE, DO THEY WORK ???

2. Drill

Drill Member

Are those the ones that insulate the intake manifold from the head in order to help reduce charge temp?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

3. DavidR

DavidR Active Member

I've heard they are good for 50bhp and 80lbft of torque /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

4. Drill

Drill Member

Nah Dude, only half that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously though, the insulated gaskets (if indeed this is what Matt was reffering to) supposedly help keep temps down, but mainly at idle. I think a search for Phenolic Spacers should call up something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

5. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

Yeah DRILL thats what im talking about, may try it as there on special offer at awesome for £35...
    see attachment.

6. Drill

Drill Member

Hmm, haven't got one myself, but I HAVE considered it. I read somewhere that it kept the intake cool enough that you could hold it after a good run /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Which, I wouldn't even TRY currently /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

I'll look around and see if I can find that review /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. Drill

Drill Member

OK dude, take a look Here and Here. There's also a thread in the Tech Forum Here.

Looks like the PowerGasket is NOT a true Phenolic spacer, but might be better, as it isn't as thick, so it doesn't offset the injectors as much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

8. jimboA3

jimboA3 Member

Any notable performance agins on An a3 tq? Mines alraedy at awesome on friday for a remap, could get that at the same time ?

9. ooooaudi

ooooaudi Member

Have a word with jim when you get there, he bound to have tryed it on one of his cars.... i would have thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

10. dbm

dbm Active Member

Sorry, I'm completely non-mechanical. Can you tell me more?

Dan

11. NikoS3

NikoS3 New Member

I have one almost a month now, but have not yet got the change to try it. It is not that difficult to fit but i wonder if i will feel any difference.

Will post soon, when i fit it & have some logs with Vag-com.

Nikos.

12. Drill

Drill Member

[ QUOTE ]
    dbm said:
    Sorry, I'm completely non-mechanical. Can you tell me more?

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

I THINK excursion is reffering to an Air Charge Temp gauge, right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

All that does dbm, is tell you what temp the incoming air is, in this case, so you'd be able to more easily see how much of a difference this gasket makes on intake temp.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

13. dbm

dbm Active Member

Thanks for the explanation!

Dan

14. excursion

excursion Member

As Drill said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif You can pick up a cheap gauge for about £10 from Maplins, it's interesting to experiment with them!