1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Powder Coated Wheels

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Nilz, May 22, 2010.

1. Nilz

Nilz Defo worth the wait :)

Can anyone advise please, whats the best option for powder coated wheels, how to protect, seal and keep on top of really.....

Ive got plenty of AG SRP, so am I ok using this, I was thinking of putting a couple of coats of SRP on, do I need to put anything else on, or am I ok with just the SRP?

Any advise much appreciated.

Cheers
    Nilz
  2. CMD

CMD Pointing Forward's!!!!!!!!!

I had my 18" s-line wheel's powder coated and the finnish was diamond tuff. All i done was washed and sealed them with rim wax. The shine you get from powder coating is much better than wheel's that have been sprayed..
  3. Hunty

Hunty Member

4. Nilz

Ok cool, thanks for the help guys, so best bet woould be a few coats of SRP, then a coating of Poorboys, or the finishkare??
  5. Sarah's A3

Sarah's A3 MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid Staff Member Moderator

The Poorboys sealant is brilliant!
  6. S3 Rav

S3 Rav Well-Known Member

Or you could use the blackfire metal sealant on them Nilz. That lasts for ages.
  7. A3Tom

A3Tom Smell my finger.

Poorboys is good mate, the SRP is just a polish and will only offer very minimal protection if any. Get a decent wheel brush and some bilberry too....

Thats what I use on mine.
  8. Nilz

Cheers guys, will look into this ASAP.
  9. Hunty

Hunty Member

Yes mate, put some SRP on first, it will prep the surface and help the sealant bond to the wheel, Bilberry is awesome, dilute it 1:10, that way it won't strip the protection
    HTH
    Neil
  10. The Doctor

The Doctor Well-Known Member

I recently had my wheels re-furbed. I've applied Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection to mine to give them a wax coating after applying the SRP. I know people recommend other waxing products above the AG Extra Gloss Protection, but it works fine so long as you appreciate that it's not the longest-lasting product out there. I re-polish with SRP and re-apply the EGP every 3 months or so.
  11. Nilz

Thanks guys,

Doc, just the man, saw your pics of your wheels, how did you do your centre caps, have yours rims been powder coated or painted?

If powder coated, what colour did you do your centre caps, i might go for Rover Gunmetal for my centre caps, thinking of doing the whole cap that colour except for the black ring in the middle.
  12. JD09

JD09 I'm not modding, I'm improving

As most have said, SRP is a polish. It has fillers, which mask small swirls and scratches, but people mistake this for protection.

It is not a layering product, by the fact that it removes surface contaminants. So you would be effectively removing any fillers from the previous application of SRP.

Wheels, by nature of their location, get very hot (brakes/tyres). You therefore need a high temp wax/sealent. Therefore, FK1000p or Poorboys Wheel Seal are the best options. EGP will serve you well, but will not last due to the temperatures it will experience.
  13. Nilz

Thanks for all the help guys, looks like i will be getting myself some poorboys to seal the deal...i mean wheels ;)