Pounding My Vag-Com

so audinary what did you have to change to make your work

If you right click on "my Computer" on your desktop (winXP), select "manage" and then go into "Device Manager" you will get a screen like the screen capture further up the thread. Where you see "USB Serial Port" right click on that and go into properties. Somewhere in there you will have the abilities to change the port number. VagCom only works on Com1-4, so set it to one of those. If your ports are already all used, you may have to reassign them using this same procedure. Trial and error sorted it for me.

The correct 4.09 software can be downloaded from ross-tech.com

i found that sometimes choosing a port in the range 1-4 would cause windows to say "this is already in use..." when infact theres nothing else in the list that is actually using it. If that happens just tell it to shut up and make the change anyway, and it should work.

Once you've selected a port, you need to choose the same port inside vagcom and it should work.

Yep. Aragorn put me on the right track, as soon as I actually tried it ON the car, it worked perfectly. Theres a pint reserved for him if he ever makes it to the Essex Riviera

ye, the confusing part is theres actually two interfaces inside the ebay dongles, theres the part that talks usb <-> serial, which is powered by your PC, and the part that talks serial <-> the car which is powered by the car itself.

Vagcom is oblivious to the USB <> Serial part, and the other bit gets its power from the diag port, hence as far as Vagcom is concerned, the interface isnt there if its not connected to the car.

right ok ill try to reset the device manager again, the interface has always been tested on the car and it fails, it finds the interface ok but cannot read the car it says the car is not iso/obd compatable, if this car is 'vag' try selecting ..... individual controllers really appreciate the help guys

B5 A4's arent ODB compatible i dont think...

They use the KWP2000 protocol, which you access my pressing the "Select" button in the top left, then choosing a module.