Pounding My Vag-Com

audinary

Complete And Utter Member
Reaction score
I now have all the required ingredients to be fully Vagged up. Cable, Software, Windahs XP laptop and extension cable because the battery's knackered.

Can't get it working, though. The amusing little blue LED lights up on the cable, but when I do a USB port test on vag-com it shrugs its shoulders.

So I have either a hardware problem or a lack of skill. Or both.

I will stick with it and have a proper go this weekend. I lust after an extinguished airbag lamp.

Guess?! Yes, being a tightwad I have plumped for eBay to start with. For my purposes it out to be adequate, assuming it works....

sounds like a driver issue maybe?

someone will be along who has got one of these leads working, i think you need to make sure you have the correct version of vagcom for it to work

Do a google search for Vag* FTDI Drivers. You'll need to install these, then assign a virtual COM port to your USB port in the range COM1-COM4.

Then, when you fire up Vagcom, you'll need to go into Options, choose the same COM port there, then click test and save.

Job's a good 'un!

Do a google search for Vag* FTDI Drivers. You'll need to install these, then assign a virtual COM port to your USB port in the range COM1-COM4.

Then, when you fire up Vagcom, you'll need to go into Options, choose the same COM port there, then click test and save.

Job's a good 'un!

Aha! I thought I might have to do something like that. The software I have included a USB-serial driver of some sort or another but it was pretty vaguely titled.

I shall do as you say. Cheers Thunder.

I'm spending the weekend "Doing stuff" and "vistiting people" with my Girlfriend, so it might be a last thing on Sunday kind of job.

Aha! I thought I might have to do something like that. The software I have included a USB-serial driver of some sort or another but it was pretty vaguely titled.

I shall do as you say. Cheers Thunder.

I'm spending the weekend "Doing stuff" and "vistiting people" with my Girlfriend, so it might be a last thing on Sunday kind of job.

In what order :eyebrows: ...sorry, been a long day with 5o'clock drinkies... :whistle2:

Ok. I've loaded all relevant drivers, I think... And set the USB to port three. And when I test COM3 it tells me

Port status: OK
Interface: not found.

Any ideas?

any ways of getting my ebay cable to work on my xp laptop or vista??????

That's what I'm trying to do. Vista will be a non-starter, Ros-Tech recommend XP. But i'm still in a distinctly it-ain't-working type situation.

what version of VAGCOM?

ebay cables only work with 409 (or whatever it is called)

I run an ebay special on my thinpad with XP, had the same symptoms until I downloaded the right version

I have 409 and 311 separately installed.

Screengrabs coming up As soon as Ye Olde Windows XP laptop fires up

screengrab1.jpg

assuming the vagcom lead is the only usb device plugged in that looks fine, just set vagcom to com3 (NOT USB!), and connect it to the car and see what happens (testing it off the car wont work).

Cheers Aragorn, just about to have a bath so I'll give it a go tomorrow morning. I do like a good bath, me...

how do youchange between com ports??? is it as simple as plugging it somewhwere else in the laptop,, sorry if i sound dumb, and im running 409 on mine the right one for the cable. but just cannot read my car, it works on the missuses mk4 polo grrrrr

if it works on one car and not the other then it is not a problem between cable and pc.
what message do you get?

One thing to watch with the Ebay cables is that they can often change the com port they use depending on which USB port you attach it to. My laptop has 3 ports, and each time i used a different port it allocated a new com number and i had to go into the device manager and change it back to com3.

After i changed it for all 3 ports it seems to have remembered though, which is nice :p

This may explain why it worked on the polo and not on your car. To check what com port its on you need to go into your device manager and look under ports as shown in the screenshot above. The one listed "USB Serial Port" or sometimes "USB - Serial Bridge" will have a com port after it, which needs to match the setting you choose in vagcom.

If they both match, and it continues to work on the polo an not on the A4 i suspect there is something wrong with the diag socket on the A4. Also make sure the ignition is on when you try, as even though it lights up the LED, a lot of the control modules dont get power if the ignition is off.

Yes! Result!

Up and running and airbag warning fault code removed!
And auto-scan revealed no other faults. Cool.

Thanks for your help, Aragorn.

Now, How can I set up drive-away locking?

I've got the same problem with the airbag light.

I tried to follow your posts and failed. I wouldn't have the faintest idea about where to start with this.

Is there such thing as VAG COM for dummies? :think:

Is there such thing as VAG COM for dummies? :think:

That would sell and sell and sell. Any software engineers reading, now is your chance to make a killing.

I didn't have a clue either but have recently had a fear by-pass operation, so I'm not afreaid to get my hands dirty and have a go.

Plus there are plenty of knowledgeable geezers on here only too happy to lend a sympathetic ear.

Audi-Sport.Net. The most supportive forum in the world!

I love you guys :anbet:

Oh yeah, I now have Auto door locking and remote control windows! Worth many car-park credos points!

so audinary what did you have to change to make your work and have you got a link to exactly the right 409 version to use, i finally understand how th com port works so that can be set properly, the port does work because the garage that i took it to firstly works everytime no problem...... thanks for your input:sign_unfair:

wwww. so what software are you using then???? i have tried everything in my capability to get it working but no luck as of now, but i wont give up i believe i will get this car fixed soon