Potential S4 buyer

Flowrider99

Reaction score
Hi all, i have been thinking of buying a 2013/14 S4 as my daily driver. I am only looking online at the moment at a few potential cars but i note that some have the media control on the dash and some have it on the centre console by the gear selector, can someone enlighten me on why? I would also appreciate any pointers on what to look for in my potential purchase.

I have previously owned a 2008 A4 2.7 TDi.

Many thanks.

Yes i would wait until you find a good example. Took me a few month to find a good S4. I live near Lincoln and had to drive to Aberdeen which is around 420miles away but it was worth it!

Yes i would wait until you find a good example. Took me a few month to find a good S4. I live near Lincoln and had to drive to Aberdeen which is around 420miles away but it was worth it!
I now know what i want options wise so just a case of waiting for one to come up. I have seen a few red and white S4's but i am keen on blue if i can find one.

I searched for a long time and the red S4's are more "common" that is, to be on sale as all of the other colours sell quicker. The main thing is to wait and if you find one make sure you go see it quickly as it might be sold within a day! Nearly bought a white S5 4 door but it sold the same day! Make a list of all the MUST options and additional once which you would like and stick to it. My list was black,white or blue car, Super sport seats (No colour preference), MMI 3G HDD, B&O. Not a big list but i got lucky with Drive select, flat bottom wheel and load thro facility. Some of the options can be retrofitted such as reverse camera, flat bottom wheel. Make a list and stick to it!

Reactions: Flowrider99 and cyhliu
Agree with @NikNefedov, make a list of what you 'must have' and those that are 'nice to have' and remember you are purchasing a used car so you might need to compromise on something as long as it ticks all of the 'must have' boxes! Took me 3-4 months before I found mine but worth the wait!

Reactions: Flowrider99
@Flowrider99 - I don't want to dishearten you, but in 2014 I spent about 6 months trying to find my "ideal" used S5 sportback. I never found it which is why I ended up buying a new one to order. Whilst I don't regret it now, I did a bit for the first 18 months because I couldn't get a stage 2 tune for the new engine! There were many times when I was driving it wishing that I had compromised and bought one of the below-spec ones I had seen instead. So I agree 100% with what others have written - be absolutely sure what your "must have" options are, so you don't pass up a good one for the wrong reasons. If you are not sure about anything please ask - unlike some of the B9 owners, we are honest about whether or not a B8 option is worth it.

I've widened my search to the S5 Sportback as well as an S4 saloon but not had any luck finding one to even have a closeup look at. Popular colours appear to be white or black at the moment and neither colour is what i am looking for. I did see a well spec'ed S5 on Autotrader but it was black. What i have been able to do is decide on the options i ideally want........Drive Select, sports seats with memory, front and rear parking sensors, top of the range MMI and 19" wheels. The search continues.............

I've widened my search to the S5 Sportback as well as an S4 saloon but not had any luck finding one to even have a closeup look at. Popular colours appear to be white or black at the moment and neither colour is what i am looking for. I did see a well spec'ed S5 on Autotrader but it was black. What i have been able to do is decide on the options i ideally want........Drive Select, sports seats with memory, front and rear parking sensors, top of the range MMI and 19" wheels. The search continues.............

I wouldn't be too picky with the colour, I always treat that as a bonus. Otherwise you could be waiting a good while until you find the right car, just my two cents anyway.

But by all means, be picky with specs and I'm sure you'll find something good.

Reactions: jdp1962
If you asking me - try to find one WITHOUT keyless entry !
Seems a lot more car been stolen with that optional !
Look the front wings for rust, and as much optional as you can !
Gearbox has to be serviced every 38000miles !
S-tronic servicein Audi £225
Oil change - £215
Major service - sparks bla bla £399 !
This prices are for 2010 S4 which i can’t see why to be different to 2013 !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't be too picky with the colour, I always treat that as a bonus. Otherwise you could be waiting a good while until you find the right car, just my two cents anyway.

But by all means, be picky with specs and I'm sure you'll find something good.
Agree; a preferred colour is nice, but the car comes first.

FYI the S5 sportback had supersports seats as standard (although memory function was optional).

If you asking me - try to find one WITHOUT keyless entry !
Seems a lot more car been stolen with that optional !
Look the front wings for rust, and as much optional as you can !
Gearbox has to be serviced every 38000miles !
S-tronic servicein Audi £225
Oil change - £215
Major service - sparks bla bla £399 !
This prices are for 2010 S4 which i can’t see why to be different to 2013 !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear you on the keyless go, i have read many stories of KLG equiped cars being stolen.

Do you think a 2013 car will have rust?

I like the sound of a major service for £399, my Mercedes SL500 has just had the spark plugs changed for slightly less than that, it does have 16 though! My Mercedes ML350 servicing is £700 a year!