1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potential problem???

mikeclark007 Jul 8, 2007

1. mikeclark007

mikeclark007 Member

Hi all,

Its been a while before i posted but i was wondering if anyone could help me with this.

I've had my '05 2.0 TDI A3 for just over a year and in that time have had the min. oil warning light appear on the DIS 4 times with me topping it up each time - is this normal or have i got a problem that needs addressing? I dont do that much travelling and have only put about 12k on the clock since i got it to add to the 15k already present.

cheers,
    Mike.

2. d3fy

d3fy Active Member

Sounds excessive, how much Oil have you put in 4 x 1ltr?

3. mikeclark007

mikeclark007 Member

My girlfriend made the last top up a couple of days ago and threw away the container but it was the same container that came with the car and that i'm sure was 2L. If so then i think i've made approx 4 500ml top-ups for the light to go out.

4. stevehsv868

stevehsv868 Unofficial Audi UK Endurance Test Driver

Hello

this is normal for the 2.0 TDI , the top up bottles are normally 1 litre, so 1 litre over 12,000 miles is quite normal.

we have 2 A3 TDI's and we have used 3 liters over a combined 20,000 miles.

I think its somthing to do with the longlife oil, its so thin compared to the VW PD oil i used to use in my golf

and my golf hardly used any oil

it could be worse you could have a mazda RX8 which uses nearly as much oil as petrol :)

5. arthurfuxake

arthurfuxake Controversial & Contradictive

Cue Bowfer.............