Post mapping - high(ish) pitched noise on boost?

Muzza80

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just got my 2010 S3 Sportback stage 1 Shark mapped by Brodster on Saturday.
Firstly, what a map, very smooth in delivery and the mid-range torque increase along with how long the boost holds now is quite something, really impressed, thanks again Mark.

One little issue though.

When really getting the power down, especially in 2nd, 3rd and 4th as soon as the car comes on boost I'm getting quite a high pitched chirpy squeal from the engine bay, pretty noticeable. It's not turbo whistle and it's only when on boost so not the compressor stall noise that I see a lot of people query.

Sounds a little like a split recirc valve diaphragm I had on my old stage 3 Astra VXR but what I've read my March 2010 car should have come fitted with the revision D recirc valve which does not have a diaphragm? I've not checked yet will do later in the week.

Just wondered if anyone had noticed the same thing or any other ideas as to what it might be?

I was talkibg to Mark mate and he was saying you got the map done and was gonna ask you how you found it? So that pretty much clears that up.... DV is easy enough to remove and check as its right at the front of the bay... Dunno if its still easily accessable with the engine cover on, but mines is off the now so couldnt tell you ..

If it is ur DV u get one from gfb which I basically an insert that fits if the one I got if before my map think its about £80

Could be one of the boost pipes leaking boost at high pressure.
The notorious o-rings on the intercooler pipes are a favourite.

The DV on your 2010 will be rev D so I'd doubt that would be causing it.

Reactions: Muzza80
I'll get the recirc out and have a look later.

Failing that then I guess I'm looking at a boost leak then somewhere, joy!

Im sure it's DV flutter which the +valve will cure. Mine makes this noise now and again and it goes like a train. I might stick this new valve on and see if there is a difference.

Anyone wanting a group buy for this as I will phone Shaun at AMD Essex and see if he has enough stock.

Reactions: S3_Jacko and Muzza80
Im sure it's DV flutter which the +valve will cure. Mine makes this noise now and again and it goes like a train. I might stick this new valve on and see if there is a difference.

Anyone wanting a group buy for this as I will phone Shaun at AMD Essex and see if he has enough stock.

Cool, I'm just away to check mine just now and run a datalog to check for requested and actual boost to see if there's a leak in the system anywhere.

I really like the look of the AMD ones, if you could get a discount on them then all the better, they look like the best engineered solution to me having looked at various types today.

Yeah I think I will get one for my S3 too so leave it with me Murray and I shall get back to you. Did you hear the news that Im now a BCS exhaust dealer now.......just for you buddy........lol

What sort of time scale you talking Mark about finding out about this.. I'd be a cert, I was gonna buy mine at the end of the month at full boona?

I have the DV+ on my S3 along with a stage 1 and a Pipercross. Panel filter. The car goes very well IMHO and there are no DV noises that I can hear. The Mk 6 R forum is reporting some turbo flutter but not for me.
The oem revision D valves are still prone to having a leak between the piston and the housing.
If you have the DV+ make sure you lubricate the brass piston rather than the black plunger that some forums are telling you to do. When in doubt, read the instructions!!!

The more I read the more I think this is the solution to any DV issues.

Apparently even the later revision D valve with it's piston design still leaks, they did some bench testing and worked it out on a MK6 Golf GTI to be the equivalent of a 6mm hole in your intercooler! Yes you would still achieve peak boost with a 6mm hole in the IC but the turbo will be working much harder and hotter to get there and use more fuel at the same time.

Mark If you can get these for less than £90 I'm in.

Any word Mark? Would like to get one ordered ASAP.

Cheers! :)

I ordered mine straight from AMD. Order from AMD via eBay to avoid shipping costs.

Just been having a read through and i've got a 2008 s3 and I'm having a revo stage one on Saturday so would also be interested in the group buy :)