1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possibly a dumbass brake question

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by spiker, Dec 17, 2007.

1. spiker

spiker usually growling at something

Hi all

Had my front discs and pads replaced by a local garage last week and after driving 300 miles the pedal travel is still too long

Previously it was right on the button - now I have to depress it quite a way. The brake function seems ok just dont want this amount of travel

Ok so to the dumbass question, Does a brake disc and pad change require a brake fluid bleed ?- as if so perhaps that explains the extra pedal travel and maybe they didnt do it

Would prefer to have some info / ammo before I call them to look at it

Thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. dan_a3

dan_a3 Member

Normally you wouldnt change the brake fluid just becuase you was changing the discs and pads, no. Pedal travel is more likely to be something to do with the hydraulics not the friction.

4. spiker

Any ideas what they might have done ?

5. S3 Dave

S3 Dave Now running on Heavy Oil

Did they change the fluid?? If your not happy just pop back and ask them to bleed the brakes. Wouldn't take long and should resolve any travel.

6. spiker

Yeah thanks Dave

I am going back anyway - just wanted to know what the issue was

7. carbster09

carbster09 New Member

Why don't you try bleeding them yourself? Do you have someone that can help you? Its real easy. Old school way, you and a mate open vlv and press pedel. SHUT before you depress the pedel all the way. There's a little more to it.... Or buy a pressure bleeder. They are pretty cool, or gravity bleed, which works. Search for info. Corvetteforum.com is very good for brake questions. They need better brakes. I also have one with killer brakes for a 1971 car.

Carbster:icon_thumright:

8. sitrials

sitrials Member

don't forget in newer car you have to activate the ABS pump to bleed them properly! using vag com or such like.