Possible wheel bearing?

graham-tdi

Reaction score
Hey guys

i have started getting a sorta wop noise coming from the rear left of the car any ideas why it could be??

car is front wheel drive.

cheers

Well stone guards are a good one for noise on 5dr's, but wheel bearings are another, ideally lift & turn the wheel.

Check for distortion on the inside edge of the tyre, will feel like a 50p piece and can give a similar noise to a faulty bearing

No unless the noise is there only when braking.

I had a similar noise and it was the tyre, I move the wheel to the front and the noise travelled with the wheel.

When my wheel bearing was knackered, it constantly made a 'vvvrrrrr' sound which got worse when I turned a corner. Best way to check if it's the wheel bearing is jacking the car up and looking for play in the wheel.

The other thing is there is no play in the wheels? Is there anything else which coulda or this sound??

A good way to test for a bearing noise is when driving, find yourself a nice empty road and gently turn left then right as if you are doing a slalom, the noise should get louder turning one way as you are putting more loads on those bearings. So if I becomes louder when you turn to the left, you know it's an O/S bearing, and to the right, it's N/S

A good way to test for a bearing noise is when driving, find yourself a nice empty road and gently turn left then right as if you are doing a slalom, the noise should get louder turning one way as you are putting more loads on those bearings. So if I becomes louder when you turn to the left, you know it's an O/S bearing, and to the right, it's N/S

How do you tell it is front or back?

I have a drivers side bearing gone but can't tell if it's front or rear.

Cheers

How do you tell it is front or back?

I have a drivers side bearing gone but can't tell if it's front or rear.

Cheers

Sorry should of said it's not the best method for telling whether it's front or back, more just which side! Best way is to get the drivers side wheels off the ground and give them a spin, then listen to each wheel as it's spinning, you should be able to tell straight away as it will be all crunchy

This is my issue, grabbed the wheel and no play, rotation sounds ok on all 4.

Not sure how much a bearing change is, but I want to get the right one!!!

Took the car into audi today and they replace both rear wheel bearings.

Glad ive got warranty on the car or it would've cost me £500