Possible to reset oil indicator when self service? (don't know what interval)

berisen

Reaction score
I have no idea if my S3 8P is on fixed service interval or long life, is this possible to check? The oil check menu says something like 180 days left for oil change and 500 days + for service. I only know that it has a solid service history and appears to be well taken care of but no idea what kind of interval.

The last oil change was done in February and about 3000 miles ago, but since i recently bought it i thought that it would be nice to get a fresh change before the winter and all.

So, can i change the oil on my own and reset the indicator afterwards or do i need vcds for this?

I have no idea if my S3 8P is on fixed service interval or long life, is this possible to check? The oil check menu says something like 180 days left for oil change and 500 days + for service. I only know that it has a solid service history and appears to be well taken care of but no idea what kind of interval.

The last oil change was done in February and about 3000 miles ago, but since i recently bought it i thought that it would be nice to get a fresh change before the winter and all.

So, can i change the oil on my own and reset the indicator afterwards or do i need vcds for this?

My advice would be change oil with best you can get and plugs, and reset using vcds. Then repeat yearly for oil, 2 yearly for plugs.

Check when the haldex, gearbox and brake fluids were changed and change if uncertain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sandra
My advice would be change oil with best you can get and plugs, and reset using vcds. Then repeat yearly for oil, 2 yearly for plugs.

Check when the haldex, gearbox and brake fluids were changed and change if uncertain.

Thank's for the reply.
So there is no way to reset this on my own? The regular service i'm fine doing at some shop but oil change i can manage on my own.. :)

All the things you listed above was changed in February except the spark plugs, don't think they have ever been changed so that's definitely on my list after the oil change.

Last edited:
Thank's for the reply.
So there is no way to reset this on my own? The regular service i'm fine doing at some shop but oil change i can manage on my own.. :)

All the things you listed above was changed in February except the spark plugs, don't think they have ever been changed so that's definitely on my list after the oil change.

There is probably a procedure but I don't know it and it won't change the periods to yearly. If you intend to stick with VAG cars then VCDS is well worth the investment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can with VCDS, but not via the DIS anymore. Look at the VCDS map on the forum to get a fellow owner to reset it for you.

You can also reset service schedule with an app on Android called carista.

Should add, you will need a blue tooth or wifi enabled OBD reader available cheap on ebay.

Just looked in my manual, it states that it's possible to reset the oil indicator manually, isn't this correct? :rapture: Unfortunately i live long outside the UK so the VCDS-map is not that much use for me.

Also, what size is the oil filter socket on the 2008 S3? I've seen different sizes, both 63mm and 74 is numbers i've read on different forums.

Thanks for the help guys!

Just looked in my manual, it states that it's possible to reset the oil indicator manually, isn't this correct? :rapture: Unfortunately i live long outside the UK so the VCDS-map is not that much use for me.

Also, what size is the oil filter socket on the 2008 S3? I've seen different sizes, both 63mm and 74 is numbers i've read on different forums.

Thanks for the help guys!

The socket is 36mm

Reactions: berisen
Alright, big thanks! :)

Anyone know how it works with resetting the oil change indicator? The manual says it can be done, is that incorrect?

you can reset the oil service yourself by following the manual but the long life service indicator needs to be done by VCDS.

Just follow the Owners Manual for your reset, Long Life or yearly. Changing from Long Life to yearly countdown does require vcds. I never bothered, just done the yearly service at MOT time and reset the service light.