1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible 'Tappet Jacking'? Need advice, please.

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by buel, Mar 6, 2014.

1. buel

buel Member

[Mar 6, 2014]
    Hi all,
    I have a 2001 1.9 TDI and if I accelerate sharply, usually in first or second gear, the engine cuts out and if I try to start the engine within 5 to 10 seconds I get a sound similar to as if the cam belt has gone (hard to describe in words but a mechanic friend of mine stated that it sounded exactly like it). If I then leave it for about thirty seconds, it then starts up ok and I can continue on my journey. It actually happens in every gear but when it happens in third, fourth of fifth the mementum seems to stop it happening/having an impact.

A mechanic said it sounds like something called 'Tappet Jacking'. He said it was something to do with oil not making it back down from the tappets quick enough?

Please can I have some thoughts on this?

Thank you all in advance!
    B
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 23, 2014]

3. buel

buel Member

[Mar 15, 2014]
    Hi, can anyone help me please?
  4. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 15, 2014]
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  5. buel

buel Member

[Mar 17, 2014]
    Hi there,
    Well that fella describes the symptoms as 'Symptoms were clicking sound after 2k rpm, white smoke on start up, excessive black smoke when driving and power surging. You could also hear the turbo stuttering' and I don't really have any of those.

Please can I ask for some advice as to what to do? I belive it is also called 'lifter pump up' in the U.S?
  6. BENJAMIN

BENJAMIN Active Member

[Mar 17, 2014]
    This is almost certainly tappet jacking. The issue is not from the tappets themselves, it's actually weak valve springs. The boost pressure overcomes the springs and opens the valves causing the lifters to pump up. The problem is highlighted when cold as the oil is thicker and takes a while to escape the tappet, when warm it is generally only momentary and you probably wouldn't notice aside from a small flat spot.
  7. JimS3

JimS3 Active Member

[Mar 17, 2014]
    Do you have access to VCDS (Vag-Com)?

If so go into engine, block 004 and look at the far right value labelled 'torsion'. This should around zero, ideally between -2.0 to +2.0.
    If it is a long way off this range your cam is out of time with your crank.

Also have a look at idle stabilisation block, if the figures vary dramatically, (especially on cylinder 1) then it cold indicate the dreaded cam / follower problems.

Also has the car been mapped? Is it a 100, 110 or 130 bhp?
  8. buel

buel Member

[Mar 17, 2014]
    Hi there and thank you so much.

It is a 110 and, as far as I know, is not mapped. My mechanic friend has a form of Vag-Com but is not the 'full' one, if that makes sense? Maybe I should go to a garage and get those read-outs you mention?
  9. voorhees

voorhees Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Mar 17, 2014]
    Or look in the vcds section and find a member near you to scan for beer tokens
  10. JimS3

JimS3 Active Member

[Mar 17, 2014]
    Ah ok, in that case you don't have a PD engine, so what I said above doesn't apply to to yours.

Get the fault codes read with VCDS before you go any further, it will hopefully narrow things down.