1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Subaru to Audi convert...

Phil_Jr Dec 3, 2004

1. Phil_Jr

Phil_Jr New Member

Well I just got a brand new 2005 Subaru WRX in May. It has about 4k miles and I must say i really love the car. However, it seriously lacks in low-end torque and the interior finish/refinement leaves something to be desired. I crave more power so I went to stage 1 ECU and added an up pipe. This only made the lag a little better and got me to about a 5.4sec 0-60 time. Not bad for a $26,000 car....

As I look into stage two and three for my car the 2.0L 4 will definetly hold me back, and the standard WRX 5 speed isnt the strongest trans. A logical choice would be to sell my WRX for about $23,000 and buy a used a STi for around 26K-27K. I was pretty close to doing that until my friend got an 05 S4. I drove it and pretty much fell in love with Audi. Its handling was godly and the v8 was a beast. Plus the interior was all I could ask for. Non of that soft lexus couch leather, or the overcomplicated I-drive nonsense.

Since the 50k pricetage of the 05 S4 is just slightly out of my price range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I was looking around for a used S4. I found some nice looking 01s with around 30k-40k miles. I love the older body styles (b5 I guess you call it?) just as much as the new ones, and even more than a WRX.

So....do I get the 01 S4 with 35k miles? Or the 04 STi with 16k miles for the same price? I know this is an Audi forum but be honest!!! What will I be getting myself into with an S4 that has more than 30k miles? Also, since the STi will be a good amount faster stock than an S4, what mods will get me to about 320-350 hp?

Thanks everyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. King_D

King_D New Member

STi. this car will always be faster than an S4

3. Phil_Jr

Phil_Jr New Member

the interior is not worth a compromise in speed?

4. fallmonk

fallmonk Turbo Sport

well considering this a audi forum i think u will just get a one sided view!
    BUT if u just want power its the scooby, if u want power and comfort its the S4 ,as for the 30k miles its just running in ! V6's(quickly eddited) go for ever, i know if going on a long journey i would want a S4 , think if u even ask other scooby drivers journeys in them for long hours aint recomended!

5. King_D

King_D New Member

the 01 s4 is a tt v6

6. Danielson

Danielson Member

jus check out this, before u all decide...

7. QuickSilver2

QuickSilver2 New Member

Apples to oranges my friend.

I was this close to buying an 02 WRX before I spotted my Audi A4. Once I sat in it and drove it, it was all over.

If you want to go fast while in comfort and safety = Audi. If you want bar bragging rights = STi.

I will still be adding a WRX to my stable, the sound of that exhaust is to die for.

8. RobertSGoss

RobertSGoss New Member

Subaru..dealers much better + 100% reliability so you won't need to get to know them + I've just been charged £80 to change a stop light bulb on a compan A4.

9. imported_ZeroK66

imported_ZeroK66 Guest

The B5 was a 2.7l 30v V6 w/ Twin turbos. Good for 320ish HP with a stage 1 upgrade.

If you're after style and cruzing then the Audi is great. If you want a racer with top performance then stick with the scoob.

I chose my audi over a scoob as I can insure my audi... slower though. But having owned it a few months now - the respect I get from people in traffic, cops that pull me for a bit of enthusiastic driving most importantly the ladies - there is something special to owning the Audi over a noisy scoob. I just wish I had a dump valve and had the warble at times... you cant win can you!

You mentioned interiour as being one of your things against the scoob... perhaps you are after a bit of refinement. If that is the case, an S4 might be a lovely toy for you!

10. GregC

GregC Member

I have been lucky enough to own both a WRX and a A4 1.8 Turbo Quattro Sport.

The WRX was faster but not nearly as classy. When I changed to the Audi I really felt as if I had moved up a notch - everything had so much more quality and style.

I think it probably depends whether pure performance is your main consideration or not - in real terms if you spend 20% of the time driving above 95% you end up putting up with the Subaru for the remaining 80% when you are taking it easy; driving below 95% and the Audi will be just as fast and probably feel fairly effortless.

For me it was an easy choice but I am getting old....

Drive both and take your time to decide/find the right car - at the end of the day only one person can make the right choice for you - you (assuming you aren't married then it is your wife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Enjoy looking.

Greg

11. King_D

King_D New Member

yeah wifes are a pain and a blessing. they are "concerned" for our saftey but on the plus side they put out and clean up and make dinner

12. docurley

docurley Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Dude, in the UK we got 30v before you and yes the Scooby king of the ralley or should I say was.

But would you say a Scooby could take on a RS4?

13. imported_ZeroK66

imported_ZeroK66 Guest

All about money before we get carried away...

Scoobs are relatively cheap and cheap to mod... Audis/RS variants are pricey and even more so to tune.

Scoob if you want to blat around B roads, Audi if you want to cruize in style...

I only chose Audi as it was what I could afford to insure as said above... but now I have owned one - as greg says - its like you have stepped up a notch! Now... given the choice again, would I still WANT the scoob more (probably yes, but shhhhhh... thats not my point :p )