possible causes of poor fuel consumption?

andy16vturbo

Reaction score
2.0 tdi

theres deffo summit not right with my car.

if i drive like a granny i get 30 mpg, i'd say normal driving would produce 25 -28 mpg which i dont care wether its town driving or not, thats terrible.

my 280 bhp astra vxr got 25 and i used to drive that hard!

now apart from getting shot of the car, what could be possible reasons for this? the car has full history although the last service wasnt by audi.

ive just ran some fuel system conditioner through it.

the car seems to drive ok, and is quite nippy although if i open the throttle slightly at tick over the motor seems to miss slightly. this only happens at about 1200 rpm and is fine otherwise.

wouldnt the engine light come on if one of the engine components had failed?

Last edited:
According to my dis, I'm getting 18mpg and I don't drive it hard, no more than 3000 rpm. Mine too has full service, and last service was 2 months ago. Gettin the fuel filter replaced this week, and got some reddex stuff to put in, apprantly it improves mpg, so fingers crossed.

Mines a 3.0 multitronic btw, what's yours?

mine's a 2.0 tdi boys. Wouldn't mind the fuel figures if it was petrol

mine's a 2.0 tdi boys. Wouldn't mind the fuel figures if it was petrol

How many miles are on the car? When was it last serviced? Do you find there is a lot of black smoke when on the throttle? Has the car been mapped? You could have a loose/split boost pipe or vacuum pipe. Can you get someone near you to do a vcds scan?

car is a b7 2.0 tdi. 107 k on clock, full history. Serviced at 100k.
No smoke, drives sound most of the time but hesitates now and again.

Turbo is good, minimal play on the shaft.
My mate has vagcom but not sure its compatible with my car. Isnt the b7 can bus?

Last edited:
There is a vcds section on here with a map, someone with the right one may be able to help you. If nothing comes up on the scan I'd take it to a good indy to diagnose it.

well this week i've cleaned the maf, removed the egr valve, throttle body and inlet manifold and give them a good clean and i've just changed the fuel filter so we'll see if all this has a positive affect.