Possible 18" rim dimensions

Tom75

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am planning to buy 18" wheels (I know 19" is also possible but I think it will be too much on Norwegian roads) with 225/40 tires.

My questions are:

- can I use 8,5 x 18 or is only 8 x 18 possible?

- What kind of ET would you recommend for the above mentioned wheel dimensions, ET35, ET40, ET42 or ET45

Would be nice to hear some experiences what looks good or what is impossible etc.

Thanks and regards,
Tom

Hi all,

I am planning to buy 18" wheels (I know 19" is also possible but I think it will be too much on Norwegian roads) with 225/40 tires.

My questions are:

- can I use 8,5 x 18 or is only 8 x 18 possible?

- What kind of ET would you recommend for the above mentioned wheel dimensions, ET35, ET40, ET42 or ET45

Would be nice to hear some experiences what looks good or what is impossible etc.

Thanks and regards,
Tom

Hi Tom

Just so that i can advise sizes, what sort of vehicle are you looking to fit these to?

It's in the Audi A3 8V forum, so I'd guess it'll be one of those!

Its an A3 Sprotback 1.8 TFSI quattro S-line, 2014 model

Thanks and regards,
Tom

The ET is 51 ON the original 18" rotors. In "vognkortet" (pink slip???) 48 is listed as the minimum ET. But I have a 1,4. So might be different than yours.

Thanks for the information and the link, very useful.

I will check this regarding ET, 48 sounds quite much. Most 18" rims which are usable for audi are between 40 and 45

Regards,
tom

Hi again,

does anybody know what the ET is on the original 17" rims? I have the original 17" rims with 225/45 tires and they are quite much inside, so I think a little lower ET could be nice if I switch to 18" rims soon.

Regards,
Tom

Thanks for the info, so I think 51 is definitely too much. Do the S3 rims also have ET 51?

I think I will go for something like ET45, if not 42 since there is plenty of space left.

Does anyone maybe have rims with an ET in that range?

Regards,
tom

Thanks, that's interesting that the sportback, if I understand you correctly, has a different ET than the normal? Very valuable information since I have a sportback.

Brodster: Appreciate the offer but since I am located in Norway it will be very difficult to get wheels from you.

Regards,
Tom

nope, sportback is 5 door ! I was speaking about the saloon (4 door)

Hi all,

just wanted to bring this thread up one more time since I am now getting my new summer wheels and I am still not 100% sure what ET I can actually use legally.

It was already mentioned above that the min ET for an A3 Sportback is 48 but there are actually very little rims with so high ET, at least the ones I like.

Anyway at the wheel dealer they told me that I can from the standard ET which is 51 go 7,5 up or 7,5 down and it is still legal which would at least mean I would be able use ET 45?

How are the opinions about this topic?

Regards,
Tom

I just bought some alloys for my s3 and the dimensions are:

18" x 8.0 112 ET45 66.5

Last edited:
Thanks for the input ET 45 would also be ok for me and I am thinking about the same dimension as you. Will probably be ok then?

Regards,
tom

Well my guess is yes, if you're unsure can't you bring your car to the alloy place and ask them to try one out?

Don't forget to try a front wheel - if there are issues they're going to show up when you try to steer the car.

I think the fitting should not be the problem, I am sure this size will fit on a 1.8 TFSI quattro the thing is that it might not be legal.

Regards,
tom

As long as the tyre fits the rim correctly and it doesn't stick out from under the bodywork it should be fine.