1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Porsche Brakes - Advice please

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by CHRIS555, Nov 11, 2010.

1. CHRIS555

CHRIS555 DOPE with added OCD

Can anyone recommend where I can go to get a Porsche brake upgrade? And is there anything I should be looking out for?
  2. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator

simplest setup is the calipers from a porsche cayenne/Audi q7/VWTouareg

The caliper bolt spacing is the same as the A4, and barring requiring some special bolts the caliper more or less bolts streight on.

Disks are a bit tricky, but someone on SRS has worked out you can use the disk from a Merc ML55 or something with a bit of tweaking and the whole assembly more or less bolts streight on. Alternativley you can buy a disk from JHM (who also sell the special bolts) which is designed to fit the Audi perfectly.

There are two sizes of cayenne caliper, one labelled "17ZL" and one labelled "18ZL" the 18ZL caliper is the one you need for the 345mm ML55 disks. The 17ZL's take 330mm disks, and i'm not aware of an easy fit disk, although there may well be something out there.
  3. N8

N8 Kowalski Details

The ECS Stage 5 kit (Cayenne calipers) is truely and awful awful kit and you wanna avoid that with a barge pole
  4. IN 2 Deep

IN 2 Deep Hoonigan

Having played with a few sets of different calipers the man to chat to is DaveB1970 he occasionally posts on here but his workshop is like a brembo hall of fame! He knows what will work and what wont, probably sort out the carriers for you as well, he can probably get you something a bit different to the usual which is always good. He sorted me out with some Ford GT calipers for the front & B5 RS4 rears and there stonkin. What size bore is your master cylinder as this dictates what you can & cant use. I have some B5 RS4 fronts but there not Brembolicious obviously! The other thing to bear in mind is that fitting them under stock wheels with the limited disc height options is the tricky bit.
  5. aragorn

N8: what exactly is wrong with the ECS Stage5 kit?

Plenty folk are using the Cayenne calipers (either homebrew with merc disks, or using JHM/ECS kits) on S4's and suchlike and i've never heard a bad word yet...

You dont really need to know the size of the MC, you just need to keep the piston area close to that of the original calipers. Stock calipers on a B6 use 57mm pistons afaik.

What you REALLY dont want to do is fit a set of Porsche rear calipers, people seem to buy them cheap and nail them onto golfs and similar, without a clue what they're doing. The pistons are far too small and you'll only result in reducing the braking force. Even the ubiquitous 996 "big red" 4 pots are a bit **** for the same reason. The only porsche 4pot caliper i've seen thats good is the one used on the 996 GT2/Turbo, which has larger pistons than the standard 996 ones, and is a much better match to the A4 MC.
  6. IN 2 Deep

IN 2 Deep Hoonigan

I had these fitted on my A4 prior to the current setup and there lacking if you ask me, just some real world experience for you, don't believe everything you read! Those cayenne calipers could quite easily double up as a boat anchor they weigh a ton and Ive heard there not great, Im sure these are used in the ECS Stage 5 kit!
  7. CHRIS555

CHRIS555 DOPE with added OCD

8. aragorn

The cayenne calipers are apparently lighter than the B7 RS4 calipers, and work just as well. They are used in the ECS Stage 5, which is why i asked N8 what exactly was wrong with it.

What did you find wrong with the 996 Turbo calipers? I was considering some for a track car idea. The standard 996 ones are a little too small, which would give a wooden pedal with little bite, but the Turbo calipers have an almost identical area to the standard B5 A4 caliper, so should give an identical pedal travel, with more power and bite due to the larger disks.

To Clarify, the "bad" calipers are porsche 996-351-425 and 996-351-426, which are fitted to most 996 models. The "good" calipers are 996-351-429 and 996-351-430, which are fitted to 996 Turbos (and some C4S), as well as 997's
  9. IN 2 Deep

IN 2 Deep Hoonigan

I will have to check those part numbers to be 100% sure which I had, they were sold to me as the turbo calipers. But the problem I had with them was the solid pedal and bugger all bite which suggests I was sold a kipper! But I will double check for you. I've also had those B7 RS4 calipers in my hand and there also really heavy, especially when you factor in the B7 RS4 discs, it certainly made me look else where. Out of interest what discs are you looking to use in your track set up?
  10. aragorn

Might have been rear calipers if they were really bad?

Dunno, just tossing ideas around atm. Be next year before i do anything about it.

Was kinda thinking about using Pheaton disks (more or less the same as the B7 ones) as they come with nice alloy bells and floating rotors and are pretty keenly priced. Problem with those though is i really wanted to run a setup that fits under 17's, and the pheatons being 365mm need 18's.

Perhaps the way to go is a custom bell and an off the shelf rotor.

I know the 345mm setup fitted to B6 S4's will fit under 17's

The biggest issue is i dont know how much brakes i actually need. People with road cars often fit huge dinnerplate sized disks, but its hard to justify if they're REALLY needed, and how much is just bling factor etc.

I would rather run a 320 or 330mm disk and some proper track pads if i can get away with it, because its less weight etc etc.