1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Porsche Brakes - Adapter?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by Ade_D, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Ade_D

Ade_D Member

I may possibly have managed to source a set of second hand Porsche brake calipers (like those in the AMD kit). Before i proceed though i need to know if i can buy the disks and adapters i need seperate to fit them to the S3 and is it financially worth it? Has anyone else here upgraded their brakes the DIY way instead of going the AMD kit route? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ade
  2. imported_Yaseen

imported_Yaseen Guest

Amd sell their adapters for £240 ish I think- check on site. Might be better to go direct to the people who make them for AMD and see if will sell to you- they have a website so email them.

If you have the engineering skills to design your own then get them custom machined for you.

In the Usa the a3`s wern`t sold iirc, but if similar to TT? maybe able to source from Bira/Evom etc. Also look on Rich`s Group buy offer over xmas as someone asked for just calipers as they could make their own bits- so maybe can do for you!

Mine (b5) are being shipped over as we speak by a guy who made his own as he races A4`s- Loving the weak dollar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you decide against buying them and if they are the 4 piston monoblock Porche Boxter ones, Pm me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif
  3. PaulRS3

PaulRS3 Well-Known Member

check to see if amd still sell them seperatly, last time i heard that they were not keen, as it might lead to copies.

The people who make them for amd certainly wont sell them seperatly.

alternatibvle try forge, i think they sell an adaptor kit.
  4. imported_Yaseen

imported_Yaseen Guest

[ QUOTE ]
    PaulS3 said:
    check to see if amd still sell them seperatly, last time i heard that they were not keen, as it might lead to copies.

[/ QUOTE ]

They come up from time to time eg currently selling 993tt ones at moment http://www.auto-amd.com/brakes4sale.asp not cheap!!

5. imported_MancheS3er

imported_MancheS3er Guest

Help

Spotted these Porsche calipers last night on e-bay and was wondering if anyone could offer a bit of advice as to if and how I would go about getting them onto my S3. I've got the 18" original factory fitted RSTT's.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7948153189&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Can you use these with the standard S3 discs, etc and if not where and how much would some decent discs and anything else I'd need cost. How easy is it to fit brakes, calipers etc.

I'm wondering if its actually worth going down this route or simply biting the bullet and going with someone like AMD.

Any thoughts?
  6. dunk

dunk Member

its difficult to get off the shelf brackets and bells for porsche calipers - the commonly available ones are only for the 993tt calipers otherwise known as 'big red' calipers

west tuning make the adapters for amd, but wont sell the parts separately.

unfortunately these 993tt calipers are very popular with older porsche cars as brake upgrades so tend to be quite expensive and difficult to find second hand.

the 996 turbo monoblock calipers are used by the movit 342mm kits, but i havnt found a supplier who will sell brackets and bells to use these calipers with off the shelf porsche disks.

the boxter s calipers are slightly cheaper and are a monoblock design but again there dont seem to be off the shelf kits or just adapters and bells available

the ecs big brake upgrades use boxter calipers with their own disks but they dont use oem porsche pads and you have to buy their complete kit again.

the ones on ebay look like boxter calipers though im not sure - thats why hes going a different way because he cant get adapter brackets or bells....

overall i would say just go for a complete kit
  7. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

If you are going to do it, do it properly first time around. That measn changing everything. 312mm discs are too small and wont have the stopping power and heat resistance of bigger discs

Rich
  8. s3bow

s3bow Member

@ Dunk, don't think you can use the off the shelf Porsche discs (322x32) with the 996 turbo monoblocs as the are designed to run 330 diameter and have too big a swept area.
    Have these calipers and pads and trying to find suitable discs(tried ECS etc) and looked at either modifying RS4 front discs and machining the calipers out(for bigger disc sweep) or using R32 front discs as they are 334x32 and making caliper mounting brackets myself(mech design engineer). Let you all know how it develops.

Chris.
  9. Cage

Cage Member

[ QUOTE ]
    MancheS3er said:
    Help

Spotted these Porsche calipers last night on e-bay and was wondering if anyone could offer a bit of advice as to if and how I would go about getting them onto my S3. I've got the 18" original factory fitted RSTT's.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7948153189&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Can you use these with the standard S3 discs, etc and if not where and how much would some decent discs and anything else I'd need cost. How easy is it to fit brakes, calipers etc.

I'm wondering if its actually worth going down this route or simply biting the bullet and going with someone like AMD.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked with the seller, these brakes are of the Porsche Cayenne. Can they be made to fit the S3?
  10. Cage

Cage Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Yaseen said:
    Wouldn`t fit an A4 but do fit the s4 b5 and b6 a4 . ECS has some specs you may find usefull in deciding if its worth a try on s3

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?html=info-B5S4B6A4-Braking-ECSStage4.html&make=Audi&model=B5%20S4&submodel=&engine=2.7T&category=Braking&subcategory=ECS%20Stage%204

[/ QUOTE ]

The calipers on ebay are the 4 pot version, would that be the rear ones then and could these be used on the S3, and with what size discs?
  11. s3bow

s3bow Member

Is it me or do the calipers on ebay look like they have integral mount brackets ? Think you'd face all kinds of problems trying to get them to fit.

Chris.