1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Popping sound through subs. Any help.

Discussion in 'In-Car Entertainment' started by Dingle, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Dingle

Dingle New Member

[Aug 31, 2009]
    I've recently got this interference through my twin subs. No matter how many times I fiddle with the earth it returns. Now, I asked some peeps on my car club forum and one of them came back with a topic from this forum, hence why im here. Im hoping someone on here might be able to shed some light on the situation?
    It was in this topic: [​IMG] A6 BOSE System With Sony headunit Problem
    I need to know if the A4 has this BOSE system installed on it and if its that causing the problem. Also how to get rid of this problem. The interference is clicking when track scanning and loading. If amp is turned up the subs pop continuously.
    Any help would be much appreciated as I cant live without my sound system :(
  2. Ads

Ads

[Dec 28, 2014]

3. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

[Aug 31, 2009]
    It could be that the Bose speakers are 2 ohm causing the HU to overload/clip creating interference?
  4. Dingle

Dingle New Member

[Aug 31, 2009]
    I dont have any Bose speakers left that work. The 2 in the rear shelf dont work (HU adaptor issues and are not even connected) and the front 2 are Sony, same as the head unit. The problems only been since I removed the setup from the boot to modify housing. Ive extended ther live, earth and speaker wires. But I know its not the extra speaker or earth wiring, as ive tested it.
  5. DEEJAY TQS

DEEJAY TQS Member

[Aug 31, 2009]
    what size wireing are you using??? please dont say speaker wire for your earth,

what i would do is try and trace every thing back, start in your boot, all wires also check items like amps and subs connectors crossovers, then work back into the car, making sure nothing is fraid or damaged, 9/10 you will find the guilty item

this is my method if anything goes wrong anyway
  6. Dingle

Dingle New Member

[Aug 31, 2009]
    no, its 8amp black cable. Do you think it could have something to do with the way Ive connected the extensions to the earth and live? My only other option is to rip out all the wiring and start from scratch. Someone also said I should replace the HU with a Becker GP unit as they are compatible with the Bose system, but thats a lot of money.
  7. AndyMac

AndyMac Moderator Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 31, 2009]
    I hope you mean 8 gauge black cable not 8 amp i.e. 8 gauge is 40amp, 8 amp cable is practically a fuse.
    I presume you are using an aftermarket head unit?
    Can you give us a run down of exactly what you are using and how it is configured?
    The popping issue is only a problem when using some aftermarket HU's with the Bose amp for the cabin speakers. If you have aftermarket speakers in the front and an aftermarket HU then there is absolutely no reason to use the Bose amp (if indeed you have the Bose system).
    Where are the front speakers connected?
    Are there any speaker connections at the HU?
    Where have you picked up the feed to the amp for the subs?
    If there are no speakers connected at the HU i.e. brown ISO speaker connector at the HU, then you do indeed have the Bose system (or the remains of one). Just simply rewire the fronts directly to the speaker outputs at the HU.
    You shouldn't be using any extensions to critical power cable wiring, replace it all with the correct length or use a proper junction box to ensure a 100% connection where the cable divides.