1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor starting tdi 130

Discussion in 'A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)' started by leigh72, Nov 5, 2013.

1. leigh72

leigh72 New Member

[Nov 5, 2013]
    Hi all,

I've got a 2002 tdi 130 (103000miles), normally it's a really good starter - as soon as the key is turned. However over the past month it's taking longer to start from warm, sometimes it's takes 3 or 4 seconds with it occasionally taking a few go's of turning the key. It's regularly serviced and had just had new filters , and the only fault code that is coming up is for an engine mount sensor. Other suggestions by friends are injectors and pump clearances. I'm going to fill up at a different forecourt and add injector cleaner to see if that makes any difference.
    I have done a search but it hasn't brought up anything with the same symptoms. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Leigh
  2. Mike.M

Mike.M Well-Known Member

[Nov 6, 2013]
    Car battery with the weather getting colder and also possibly dead glowplugs. I had three of mine die and the battery was also weak and had similar symptoms last autumn.

All replaced and started strong and quickly
  3. pauldazzle

pauldazzle Active Member

[Nov 6, 2013]
    A minimum of 250rpm is needed to start a PD engine, so its worth jump starting off another battery, & if it starts normally then your battery is getting tired.
  4. leigh72

leigh72 New Member

[Nov 7, 2013]
    Thanks for the ideas, will try jump starting it next time (had a new bosh battery about 2years ago as well) if that fails will check the glow plugs.
  5. stu_m

stu_m Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Nov 7, 2013]
    flick your headlights on before starting and see if that changes anything

the switch develops a fault in the off position and causes the same problems
  6. leigh72

leigh72 New Member

[Nov 8, 2013]
    Thanks for the suggestion, I tried the lights and it turned out to be the cause so I'll get a replacement light switch. Glad it's nothing more expensive/ time consuming. Cheers.
  7. stu_m

stu_m Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

[Nov 8, 2013]
    lol wait till you see the price of a genuine switch!!

have look on here for the ebay ones they are only about £20
  8. leigh72

leigh72 New Member

[Jan 6, 2014]
    Just an update, fitted a replacement headlight switch in early December, and everything has been perfect since, so thanks for the replies:icon_thumright: