Poor Idle Speed A3 2004 Sportback Fault Code P0016

seanwatson

Reaction score
Hi, about 6 weeks ago my a3 sportback suddenly whilst driving decided to start idling at between 400 - 500 rpm compared to the normally 900 ish. When you press your clutch in the car cuts out but drives fine if you are quick between gear changes. My basic code reader is showing crank and cam shaft correlation fault (P0016) so I changed both the sensor for original audi sendors - still no difference. Since then it has been to 3 garages and had 3 different diagnostics, one by audi who said it was due to the timing being out, timming chain, sprockets and tensioners have all been changed to no avail. It has been compression tested (all fine), checked for air leaks several times, throttle and EGR have all been tested and cleaned, new fuel filter, injectors cleaned. Can anyone shed any other lights or ideas. The latest from Audi is that the ecu might need checking and replacing but there are no garuntees with this? Ideas would be much appreciated.

timing out ? or worn cam shaft how and who changed the timing belt was it pinned up as it should be or did someone just tippex the cams ,crank ?

Hi, I did the timming chain myself. I purchased the proper timing tool with the pin set, tool T10171. I have checked it twice since and had a diagnostic, both are showing number 1 piston at tdc and the pins go in the exhaust and inlet cams. Have you seen this issue before? any ideas would be much appreciated. Kind regards sean

yep basically what its saying is ,is that the timing signal from the crank is out of sync with that from the cam sensor . seen it where the wrong flywheel has been fitted and where the cam is wearing ,where the cam sensor gets its signal from

in some circumstances its where the cam that the sensor reads from is a tooth or so out . , try adjusting the cam timing by undoing the 3 ,13 mm bolts and turning the cam with an 18mm spanner , keep an eye on its original position . you'll either make it run better or make it run worse . do it a little at a time nip the 13mm bolts up and try it . you'll soon know if it improves . you cant do any damage unless you leave the bolts loose

if you have vcds look up torsion value for cam . then check yours . bet its quite a way out.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the reply. Sorry if I sound a bit thick but where are the 3 13mm bolts located? Is it a case of taking the timing cover of again? or are they on the egr side? unfortunately I don't have a copy of vcds, can you recommend where to buy a good one/download. Thanks again for all your help.

Hi, been having a bit of a play around with various sensor etc today. One interesting thing ive found which may or may not have any use is that if you disconnect either one of the egr or the throttle it runs fine? but obviously then you cant accelerate. I still am unsure of where you mean for the 3 x 13mm bolts unless they are behind the timming cover. Thank you in advance for all your help