1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poor greenstuff pads performance?

Discussion in 'A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)' started by S3Si, Aug 30, 2005.

1. S3Si

S3Si Member

[Aug 30, 2005]
    Was having a quick blast with a silver Leon Cupra on sat night (on a private road etc) and was going fairly quickly but under a ton and I tried to brake hard. Initially there was good bite but then it seemed to take ages to stop and made my heart miss a beat. Have read other posts saying that the standard brakes are pretty poor in the first place but was surprised at how numb and ineffective they were. Just wondering if others who know about greenstuff reckon they are just the same as OEM pads (but with less brake dust) and this is to be expected? Or are my brakes on my car just particulary cr*p?! Thanks.
  2. Ads

Ads

[Sep 21, 2014]

3. Timbo

Timbo Slowest car ever round the Top Gear track?!?

[Aug 30, 2005]
    Were they fading? When was the brake fluid last changed?

Where the brakes warm? I've got Greenstuff pads on my 1.8T and find that they don't work so well if they're cold - and a long run on the motorway can allow them to cool down to the point where they feel a bit numb and lacking in "bite".
  4. RichA3Turbo

RichA3Turbo ...Watching you! Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 30, 2005]
    Greenstuf are the wrong pad to be using on these cars. Basically they are too heavy and the greenstuff just arent upto it. Redstuff would be a better option.

RIch
  5. jojo

jojo S3 Drift King! Staff Member Moderator

[Aug 30, 2005]
    On the subject of brakepads, has anyone had any experience of OMP brake products, or are they just ****?
  6. Danielson

Danielson Member

[Aug 30, 2005]
    i agree about the green stuff, they are ****. im glad i got rid of them!
  7. S3Si

S3Si Member

[Aug 31, 2005]
    Cheers for comments. To answer the question from Timbo, no there shouldn't have been any brake fade as I had been driving normally beforehand. Not sure when the fluid was last changed, would have to check but it would have been done as per services, current mileage is 45k.

So would people say that with OEM pads then I should have got a consistent brake effect and should have pulled up fairly quickly, even with the slightly dubious standard brake system? Have got the impression that the pagid pads are the ones to go for? Am not too keen on the thought of redstuff not working very well from cold, especially as i don't hoon about all the time.
  8. mephisto

mephisto Member

[Sep 3, 2005]
    I was using RedStuff, not v good cold, have to keep them warm,but what do you expect!
    Although i went through a set of pads and cracked front brand new discs in 10kmiles. Oops.
    I was told i should be running Green as the REds overheat the discs...hmmm.
  9. S3Si

S3Si Member

[Sep 5, 2005]
    Meant to say the other day that I warmed up the greenstuffs with a couple of hard braking stints and they were fine, felt like they were biting all the way to a stop. Will just have to remember to keep em a bit warm if i'm out having a play and they work fine, apologies to ebc! Will def keep them as i could never return to all the cr*p that the OEM ones leave behind on the alloys.
  10. mephisto

mephisto Member

[Sep 5, 2005]
    mmm and i should add i was overheatind STANDARD discs, was told to use drilled and grooved on RED stuff due to excessive heat generated.