Polishing guidance - Daytona grey A5 sportback

Nick light

Reaction score
119619-1486903118.jpg
Hi everyone

I'm after some guidance on the best polish/wax/glazes for my Daytona grey A5 Sportback. I use poorboys slick and suds to wash and the microfibres cloths and a good mit, so was hoping for a point in the right direction. The bottom has a few swirl marks and I want to try and give the colour some life again.

Thanks for your help in adavance.

Last edited:
Heard good things about PoorBoys Black hole. I've used Chemical Guys Blacklight in the past and it did a good job too.

Personally, I don't use glazes and prefer to correct the paint by machine rather than hide them, but I appreciate that's a bit undertaking that's highly dependent on cost and time...!

Any decent wax or sealant on top should give you a good protection.

Reactions: Nick light
Welcome Nick to Audi-Sport.Net.

Daytona is a gorgeous colour, and it looks amazing when cleaned properly. A paintwork enhancement is the best route of getting the best results, but that will mean a good detailer doing his stuff. Otherwise the kit you posted will do I good job if you do the steps properly and put the time and effort into it. I am sure plenty of other people will recommend various products, but detailing is so subjective with so many people's thoughts on the best products.

Whatever happens, please make sure you put up some pictures of your work.

Reactions: DrEskimo
Daytona will show imperfections pretty badly. You have 2 options.

1 try and hide them. I would use zaino z5 from experience.

2 go balls out, fix them and the seal it. For a sealant i would not stray from gtechniq.

a14fd0be53f0c9b9d2b9e0e6df7cb1bf.jpg

ad3af28dd44ded0300d734858e6f2ceb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, David McQueen, Alaistair and 2 others
Welcome Nick to Audi-Sport.Net.

Daytona is a gorgeous colour, and it looks amazing when cleaned properly. A paintwork enhancement is the best route of getting the best results, but that will mean a good detailer doing his stuff. Otherwise the kit you posted will do I good job if you do the steps properly and put the time and effort into it. I am sure plenty of other people will recommend various products, but detailing is so subjective with so many people's thoughts on the best products.

Whatever happens, please make sure you put up some pictures of your work.
Thanks Spike. Do you recommend any detailers in the Hampshire area or the Cardiff area as I spend time in both?

I'm willing to put in the effort and will be sure to post some pictures.

Daytona will show imperfections pretty badly. You have 2 options.

1 try and hide them. I would use zaino z5 from experience.

2 go balls out, fix them and the seal it. For a sealant i would not stray from gtechniq.

a14fd0be53f0c9b9d2b9e0e6df7cb1bf.jpg

ad3af28dd44ded0300d734858e6f2ceb.jpg

Thanks Deano, your car looks amazing. It's going to take me a while to get mine to that standard.

Reactions: DeanoC
Thanks Deano, your car looks amazing. It's going to take me a while to get mine to that standard.
It's so worth it with Daytona

Reactions: DrEskimo
It's so worth it with Daytona

Seeing yours like that makes me wish I stuck with Daytona instead of changing to Sepang last minute...!

Lovely work mate

Reactions: DeanoC
i've recently done mine with CarPro Essensce plus and topped with CarPro Hydro Lite - i think it looks pretty shiny
17156067_1419992548051406_8182066732778997261_n.jpg

Reactions: Nick light and scotty76
First real clean, noticed a few swirl marks on the bonnet so will order some products tonight and will check detailing world for detailers in the Hampshire area. I found some werkstat acrylic prime and some poorboys super slick and suds shampoo hidden in a cupboard at home so that was handy.

[photo=medium]8031[/photo][photo=medium]8030[/photo]

So I decided to spend a bit of money on some products to see if I could improve the shine and get rid of the swirl marks. I have currently purchased the following:

Karcher pressure washer
Autobrite snow lance
Poorboys super slick and suds
Poorboys black hole glaze
Lots of microfibres towels
Swissvax micro polish towel
Super buffing towel
Polished bliss luxury drying towel

And think the car looks so much better but need the following and would welcome any suggestions:

Tyre shine- have been told that Blackfire total eclipse the gel is good? Currently using autoglym stuff and don't find it that great. Doesn't give a good shine.

Wax or sealant? - have been told that Poorboys Nattys blue paste wax is good?

IMG 1153

[photo=medium]8085[/photo]

[photo=medium]8157[/photo]

[photo=medium]8166[/photo]

[photo=medium]8167[/photo]

[photo=medium]8168[/photo]

[photo=medium]8169[/photo]

[photo=medium]8170[/photo]

[photo=medium]8165[/photo]

Last edited:
Looking great Nick. Personally I'd put both sealant and wax onto Daytona for the best sparkle!

I like Zaino sealant - Z2 pro, then some nice wax. I have been using Navi wax ultimate which is a great wax. I'm about to try a new wax this year - Bouncers satsuma rock.

For the money, Bilt Hamber double speed wax seems to be highly rated.

Decisions, decisions......

Reactions: Nick light
Thanks Spike_S1 for the suggestions. I thought they would be a lot more expensive than that.

So both sealant and wax? I have had a look at that bouncers satsuma rock wax and looks pretty good and the name is amazing.

Do you also use any quick detailer style items to buff out the sealant or wax? Or am I just using too much when applicanting?

I've never really tried any quick detailer, but I see that there is a good few people that do. For me I just put on the right type of protection as noted above, then use snowfoam & shampoo along with a water filter for washing the car (raceglaze) and then a good quality drying towel. It works for me.

Reactions: DeanoC and Nick light
Thanks Spike_S1 for the recommendation of the satsuma wax. Will be trying this soon.

[photo=medium]8271[/photo]

Looking great Nick. Personally I'd put both sealant and wax onto Daytona for the best sparkle!

I like Zaino sealant - Z2 pro, then some nice wax. I have been using Navi wax ultimate which is a great wax. I'm about to try a new wax this year - Bouncers satsuma rock.

For the money, Bilt Hamber double speed wax seems to be highly rated.

Decisions, decisions......

For the OP - putting a wax over a sealant completely removes the purpose of the sealant. It might get you a greater shine in some purposes but most sealants act as a hydrophobic layer, repelling water to keep your car cleaner for longer. A wax has the exact opposite effect therefore completing removing the purpose of the sealant.

I've used carpro's cquartz in the last couple of years. It doesn't quite have the same level of shine that some waxes do but it certainly helps the car stay cleaner for longer. I'm sure some people would also argue that the shine of some g techniq products is just as good as a wax. The downside to a sealant is that somehow it doesn't seem as therapeutic when applying it compared to a wax.

You need to decide which route you'd prefer to go down...

Thanks for all the info.

With the products I have would the following order be ok:

• Wash
  • Poorboys Black hole
  • Bouncers Satsuma wax
  • Zaino Z2 or Dodo Red mist tropical?
Image1
Image2
Image3
IMG 1292

Reactions: Keef