1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POLISHING / BUFFING WITH GRINDER

AGU-TURBO Mar 25, 2011

1. AGU-TURBO

AGU-TURBO Audi a3 1.8t AGU

hi i wanted to get all the swirl marks out of my a3 using meguiars scratch-x. i descided to get used to it first before i attept the car so i did the van with t-cut first, well i only managed to do the bonnet and my grinder was burning out, i was using a medium sponge (blue). i thought my grinder was to small but, ive had a look on ebay and they sell the 5' grinders in a kit for detailing. my grinder is a performance power (B&Q) 860w. what am i doing wrong or what sort of wattage grinder do i need?

2. Broken Byzan

Broken Byzan Photographic Moderator Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User quattro Audi A4

PUT THE GRINDER DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE PAINT.

Its about 3 times too fast and will litterally melt the paint

3. tdia4

tdia4 TDIPOWARRR

When you say grinder you dont actually mean a grinder as in a angle grinder?

You need either a DA or Rotary.

4. tdia4

tdia4 TDIPOWARRR

Get yourself a silverline Rotary, they cost about £40, thats what I payed for mine, they are abit on the heavy side but thats shown in the price.

Also dont be using t-cut, get yourself some proper polish, 3m, menzerna, meguiars etc and if I were you I would get a test panel first before attacking your Audi.

5. aragorn

aragorn "Stick a V8 in it!" Staff Member Moderator VCDS Map User

Yeh, some grinders have adjustable speed, but you really want to be using a proper polisher, as the speed ranges are totally different.

A Grinder will run at around 11000rpm at full speed, a machine polisher will run between 900 and 3000rpm (usually adjustable). The machine polishers also have much larger housings/fans, and slightly bigger motors to cope with the heat caused by polishing.

6. AGU-TURBO

please tell me the difference between a rotary and a angle grinder, it's also variable speed so it won't melt the paint and they also do the same grinder in a case with buffing and grinding pads

7. AGU-TURBO

8. Mr.G

Mr.G Well-Known Member Team Sepang Audi S3

LOL....crazy stuff!

9. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator Regional Rep Gold Supporter Audi A3 Team Brill Red

polishing with a grinder are you serious , they are WAY WAY WAY too fast so are more than likely to ruin your paint get a rotary buffer they are cheap enough but dont use a grinder they are the tools of pikeys

10. AGU-TURBO

lol, yeh ive just ordered a rotary. well i only tryed it on my van on a slow speed and did a fantastic job but the motor was getting seriously hot. i wouldn't go anywere near my a3 if havnt tested it on the old van first lol

11. FranA3

FranA3 events moderator Regional Rep Gold Supporter Audi A3 Team Brill Red

a grinder isnt built for that kind of work buffers are on for long periods of time so have special motors and big fans so they stay cool , but glad you have ordered one , if your unsure how to use it watch a few video's on youtube first just so you dont do any damage to your paintwork

12. maars

maars Full speed ahead

13. bigblokey0

bigblokey0 Member

I to have used a variable speed angle grinder and it did work ok but got very hot, what buffer would you recommend ?