Polished Bliss: MkV GTi

Clark@Polishedbliss

Professional Detailer
Reaction score
Website
www.polishedbliss.co.uk
First detail of the week, and it was a full correction job on what is probably the cleanest GTi i've seen so far, 10k on the clock but apart from the swirls there wasnt a mark on it! A real credit to the owner,Doug, who obviously takes great pride in the cars apearance :thumb:

So unsurprisingly here it is on arrival looking pretty clean already:

First job was to give the car a thorough rinse down with high pressure @50 degrees:

Then Megs Super Degreaser was applied to the arches:

While this did its thing i cleaned the wheels with Menz:

Sprayed on and left for 30 secs before agitating with a MF Mitt:

The wheels and arches were then rinsed before the car was washed with the 2BM and Megs Shampoo Plus.

Doug wanted the Engine done too, so this was soaked in Megs Degreaser:

Once left for a minute or two i rinsed off at 40 degrees which left everything squeaky clean :) :

The shuts/petrol cap etc were cleaned with a MF mitt and Megs APC before i then proceeded to spraying Autosmart Tardis to the lower half of the car and wheels:

Not much tar on the paint though:

This was rinsed off and i then clayed the paint and glass with Megs Mild Detailing Clay, this removed a fair bit of contamination:

One last rinse followed and i then dried the car off with a Waffle Weave and the leaf blower.

Now inside, i took a look at the defects:

I then set about taking paint readings, using the little Posi gauge for the metal panels:

And the Posi 200 for the plastics: (ignore that reading though as it isnt that accurate, hence the 4th little peak on the graph, this was just for the sake of a picture :)):

The car was around 120 microns all round, however the roof was 85-90. The bonnet had been resprayed due to a couple of bad stone chips so this was in the 250 region.

Polish and pad choice for this one was a Megs polishing pad and #83 for a change:

This achieved 100% correction on nearly all panels except for 2 or 3 RIDS which remained.

However i needed the 3M Compounding Pad for the bonnet which was alot swirlier and scratched than the rest of the car:

Once the de-swirling had been completed i quickly did the B-pillars with the PC and some 106FA:

Before:

After:

Next up was 3M Ultrafina and Finishing Pad to refine the finish further:

I'm beginning to favour the Ultrafina over 85Rd now due to the fact you can use less on the pad and it buffs off alot cleaner, no oily smears like you get with the Menz :)

After the Polishing stage, the Zymöl duster was brought out to remove any light dust that was sitting on the paintwork.

A nice change of LSP for this one instead of the usual Zymöl or Blackfire, as Doug had chosen to go for Werkstatt Carnauba :)

First up was Carnauba Prime:

This was applied to the paint via the red side of a German Applicator Pad and buffed off with a blue Poorboys towel, leaving a nice clean surface ready for the next stage.

Up next was Carnauba Jett, which was misted onto a Poorboys DMT and buffed over the paintwork untill it flashed off, then turning to a dry side of the towel and giving a final buff, i forgot just how easy this stuff was to use, such a joy!

The wheels were done with the usual Poorboys Sealant:

Tyres were dressed with BF Long Lasting Tyre Gel, arches with Megs ASD and the tailpipes were polished with Megs NXT Metal Polish.

The Engine was dressed with Aerospace 303 Protectant:

I also detailed the interior, which needed nothing more than a hoover and APC wipedown.

Out came the Zymöl Carbon:

This was applied to all exterior trim:

As well as the backs of the seats:

Usually the car would be given a final wipe down but after a quick inspection there was no need, so onto the finished pictures, enjoy :)

Thanks for looking :thumb:

Must say I'm impressed with the finish Jeffs Carnauba gives. I purchased the kit for my 'Sis but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

It'll be interesting to see what it does for her 1-series (Flat Black), I'm hoping they'll partner well! :ermm:

jeez, you must need sunglasses to work on cars that come up that well....