Polished Bliss®: Ferrari F40

John @ PB

Reaction score
No Audi content, but thought you'd all like to see this.....

"The car that launched a thousand posters" as they say, and one I was delighted to have sat in our Studio at the start of this week (and what a bad time Alan had chosen to take his Holidays! :lol:)

F40001.jpg

As you can see this one does get used:

F40003.jpg

F40002.jpg

F40005.jpg

F40004.jpg

F40006.jpg

F40007.jpg

F40009.jpg

F40011.jpg

F40013.jpg

Lots of old product residue and a couple of the wheels look like they hadn't even been buffed off last time they were polished/sealed:

F40010.jpg

F40012.jpg

F40008.jpg

The aim of this detail was to clean and protect all surfaces inside and out whilst giving the paintwork a light machine polish to remove some of the more noticeable scuffs etc.

I had planned on doing a step by step picture guide for the wash stages but as you can see it was raining rather hard and I didn't fancy getting the camera wet...

F40014.jpg

So instead, this was the process carried out:

- Wheels, tyres and arches pre-rinsed.
- Wolf's Deironizer, EZ & Swissvax brushes for the wheels.
- Meguiars APC (4:1) for the tyres and arches.
- Meguiars APC (10:1) for all exterior trim and badges.
- Foamed with Meguiars Hyperwash & thoroughly rinsed.
- Paintwork washed with 2BM & a new test shampoo.
- Autosmart Tardis on a few small areas of paintwork.
- Clayed with Meguiars Mild Detailing Clay.
- Dried off with PB Lux Drying Towel and the Black Baron.

With the car now clean and dry there were alot of random scratches and almost cat claw type marks visible in the paintwork:

F40016.jpg

F40015.jpg

F40036.jpg

Machine polishing was going to be the only way to remove/improve this but first I had to measure the paint thickness to make sure it was safe to do so.

As there are no metal panels on the F40 a normal paint gauge wouldn't work so the Positector 200 was needed in order to give readings on the composites:

F40017.jpg

The paintwork was slightly thicker than I was expecting with a few low areas but certainly nothing scary :)

Menzerna 203S and a Lake Country HT Crimson Spot pad were used with the DAS-6 Pro for the smaller areas:

F40018.jpg

Whilst correction wasn't really the aim for this detail (just to try and reduce the deeper marks) this achieved a good result with minimal paint removal (approx 2 microns removed).

Before:

F40019.jpg

After:

F40020.jpg

Before:

F40021.jpg

After:

F40022.jpg

Before:

F40023.jpg

After:

F40024.jpg

Before:

F40025.jpg

After:

F40026.jpg

Before:

F40027.jpg

During:

F40028.jpg

After:

F40029.jpg

F40030.jpg

The larger areas were done with a Wolf's finishing pad that Jesse had kindly sent for me to have a play about with:

F40031.jpg

F40032.jpg

F40033.jpg

Scratches removed from front end (you might have to look hard to see them)

Before:

F40034.jpg

After:

F40035.jpg

The rotary was used for the rear quarter windows which are made from Lexan. These were badly scratched so Menzerna 3.02 and a LC HT Tan spot pad was used to greatly improve them,

Before:

F40037.jpg

After:

F40038.jpg

The scratches left were on the inside which could be removed given more time but I didn't have days to spend on this one unfortunately.

The rear screen which is also made of Lexan was polished with 203S but due to a new backing plate I'm testing there's no pics of that yet :D

With all that done I dusted the car down with a Lambswool duster and then treated the glass with Nanolex.

First up was the cleaner:

F40039.jpg

This is applied with a firm foam pad (my own preferred applicator as it ensures you don’t put it on too thick compared to a softer pad):

F40040.jpg

Then with a spritz of water it's buffed off:

F40041.jpg

Next up is the application of Nanolex Ultra Glass Sealant:

F40042.jpg

F40043.jpg

This was left for a few hours while I attended to the other details.

Swissvax Cleaner Fluid was used to prep the paintwork ready for wax:

F40044.jpg

Wax of choice was Crystal Rock:

F40045.jpg

F40046.jpg

F40047.jpg

Wheels were protected with Nanolex Ultra Paint and Alloy Sealant:

F40067.jpg

All 4 dust caps had product residue on them so these were cleaned up:

F40065.jpg

F40066.jpg

By the time that had been done the Nanolex on the glass was ready to come off:

F40048.jpg

Onto the engine bay now, the underside of the rear screen was cleaned with Swissvax Crystal:

F40049.jpg

The engine bay was largely done by hand with various brushes and microfibers with Meguiars APC (4:1). I found this bit hugely frustrating as I could have spent a whole day on this alone:

F40050.jpg

F40051.jpg

F40052.jpg

Exhausts polished up with Swissvax Metal Polish:

F40053.jpg

The front end was pretty clean underneath so just a quick hoover and APC wipe down was sufficient:

F40054.jpg

F40055.jpg

Interior now and as always, I started with the glass:

F40057.jpg

F40056.jpg

Then a good thorough dust out of all the switches etc with a Swissvax Brush:

F40058.jpg

Followed by a hoover:

F40059.jpg

The pipe off a spray head makes for a good accessory for getting into the really tight areas:

F40060.jpg

Don't forget to pull back the seams of the seats when doing interiors:

F40061.jpg

An APC wipe down followed, including the roof lining which was a bit grubby:

F40062.jpg

F40063.jpg

Swissvax Metal Polish was used again for this part:

F40064.jpg

Another quick hoover followed by a check over and then it was back onto the exterior to finish off a few small bits.

Wolf's Nano Trim Coat was applied to the front lip of the bumper:

F40068.jpg

Then a few cocktail sticks were used to remove all that old product residue:

F40069.jpg

F40070.jpg

F40071.jpg

F40072.jpg

It was now nearly 3am Tuesday morning so a final wipe down of the paintwork was all that was left before a bit of time was spent photographing the final result. The pics are in no particular order and you may notice a few look slightly different to the rest as they were taken with my brother's camera :)

omg i want it lol great detailing the attention to detail was amazing i do like the tooth pick idea will be using that when do mine.

Just think what we could do if it was booked in for a week (or longer) rather than just a quick enhancement job.....

thas jus an orgasm on wheels!!! lol

how does tha paint gage work on carbon fibre? out of curiosity what were the readings as ferrari were totaly obsessed with low wieght when making the F40 so much so the paint was known to be silly thin (could see the carbon weave thro it in some case's)

great results for a quick detail

Wasn't Dario Franchitti's, was it? Just read about him in last month's Top Gear.

Fantastic work Clarky, as always 1st class job in short space of time, attention to detail is extremely impressive.

srsly stunning car, must have been a pleasure to work on,
as always, cracking job!

The best car ever has just been made even better! Amazing job!!!!!!!

omg! my favourite car of all time... Awesome work considering it was an enhancement rather than full out and out jobby!!

oh and that could well be Dario's... My best mates dad is good friends with him.. and yes he has an F40!

Last edited:
Nice work, but i'm afraid the car does nothing for me LOL. That said, its better looking than the Testarossa.

We can't comment on who owns cars we work on.....

:)

Fair enough. Can't confirm nor deny?

Top car though, and a fantastic job you've done on it. That's in my top 3 of all time, beside a Carrera GT and B7 RS4.

As always guys, bow to your workmanship second to non, as for the car and the job on it, some pictures you wouldnt be wrong saying it looks as if it's an art exhibit :icon_thumright:

Stunning cars and stunning job there :)

How much did you charge for tha may I ask?