1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Police Car modifications?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Chat' started by ScottD3, May 9, 2013.

1. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics

Do Police add performance modifications to their patrol or pursuit cars?

If they do is it standard factory modifications done by the factory or some 3rd party garage like Badger5 or R-tech?
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. Cozza McA

Cozza McA Crunching The Gears

Not sure about patrol, but Pursuit probably would have something. On police interceptors they have a scooby and an evo 8!! Wouldnt think they're standard.

Or go to Dubai and see there Aston Martin one-77 aventador and Ferrari rozzer cars.
  3. CHEZ

CHEZ moderately amusing

i think they do!, not 100% on what is done though!
  4. ScottD3

ScottD3 I want your faulty electronics

I assumed they would do something but then how would that affect their insurance and budget?
  5. enoliver

enoliver Member

I can give you a diffinitive answer. the subarus used have been to Prodrive in Banbury, where a skid is fitted to protect the sump etc. That is the only mod made to them. The other traffic cars actually have stuff removed, such as: the rear vents are disconnected. The cars have a more robust alternator, but no performance mods, and really suffer once the blue lights are bolted to the roof. In TVP and Beds, some of the cars struggle to reach 130mph, because of the added wind resistance. Various people have in the past spoken with the transport manager in an attempt to get something with more top end, but this has always fallen on deaf ears. Since the police underwrite their own insurance it would not be a problem, but the cars are bought at a heavily discounted rate, hence having bits removed.
    S3 MCW and CHEZ like this.
  6. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Active Member

They never have.Only mods might be uprated springs to carry stuff in the boot.Never had the budget for it, certainly not now.The cheapest possible cars are bought.Many years ago my old force used to buy metros that were factory rejects (and thats saying something) that had just the one drivers sunvisor and rubber for carpet.The cotina ghias for traffic use had the sunroof welded and the electric windows removed.Also had marina/ital 1800tc' to try and catch audi quattros lol.Those were the days.Maybe the royal protection cars are modded to compensate for armour etc.
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    CHEZ likes this.
  7. CHEZ

CHEZ moderately amusing

am i correct in thinking they are serviced very regularly though? like more often than a private car would be?
  8. AlexGSi2000

AlexGSi2000 Well-Known Member

I know when they used Vectra B V6's it was a popular mod to use police spec brake pads - apparently forum users just used to quote the part number at the dealers.
  9. johnnythepie

johnnythepie Active Member

yup very regular.They are used 24h and as they are normally underpowered are hammered
  10. Avnt

Avnt Member

The volvo t5's had 300bhp againest a standerd volvo 250bhp. They also had torlanda rear springs on the v70's to take the weight of the traffic cones etc
  11. Cozza McA

Cozza McA Crunching The Gears

Well the force up in the highlands have all the good cars several BMWs x5 330d and a 5 series.
    Seen a couple of Audi a6 as well
  12. basil brush

basil brush Active Member

essex run x5's and 5 series tourings ,
    back in my day as a lad doing laps of colchester town centre they were in senators all running out of their own garage in stanway where they DID their own modifications , brakes , suspension and steel wheels (less likley to be damaged lumping up kerbs )
  13. CHEZ

CHEZ moderately amusing

seen a 5 series touring squad car down the local tyre place the other month, on jacks getting tyres fitted!
    i nearly went over for a pic, but bottled it lol!
  14. Av4nt

Av4nt Active Member

This is incorrect in a small part..

Volvo have their own manafactured engine chip built for Police vehicles that they have leased out as traffic/ARV vehicles. That being said, there are quite a few issues with engine management with running the chips upto yet. Normal patrol have nothing at all as it is not necessary. As with above post our fore will soon be joining essex stylee with the above vehicles. And yeah they get serviced far more regularly than general motors.
  15. cmgreen

cmgreen Member

In sunderland they had a golf gti but done up/down as a standard golf
  16. sidibear

sidibear Looking for Zombies !! Staff Member Moderator

I know the guys in our local ARV running an A6 Avant, other than a small safe fitted and bullet resistant glass its pretty much standard.
    Oh, it has a small paint protection patch on the roof above the passenger side, but don't think it counts as a body mod or affects wind resistance.
  17. percymon

percymon Member

I remember the days of Cheshire being proud of their 3.0litre Senators. One pursuit guy at the golf club was well pleased with his until he drove the golf pro's turbo technics modified 3.0GSI Carlton - he was well pee'd off when he saw the Carlton (driven by his colleague) disappear in front of him above 145mph. The Carlton hit 175mph on the speedo that day, and was still accelerating slowly !

In hindsight not the safest test drive ever, but it was fun to watch :D
  18. enoliver

enoliver Member

The protection group cars in TVP ,Beds and surrounding counties don't have armour, or special glass, they're completely standard, with the exception of the safe for the guns- as is the suspension on traffic cars. They're serviced at the same frequency as other peoples' cars,- on mileage covered. They are serviced in house by the force garage technicians, and the garage at Bicester is right next door to the traffic base, so we had a great relationship with the technicians, and got to see everything that was done to the cars. It's the same with the Met BMWs, completely standard. and the last time I drove a Volvo, it was the V70R, which I was told was also bog standard.
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  19. Tay

Tay Active Member

I knows it's not the UK police, but I've seen an police S3 in South Africa at a Revo dealership.
  20. enoliver

enoliver Member

I was talking to the workshop guys and they have said that they don't need to modify the suspension, because the weight of the cones, sequential lights, stinger and bits don't exceed the maximum gross mass of the vehicle.